We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

Apple Unveils New Miniature Mac Pro with Dual Integrated Workstation GPUs

Apple New Mac Pro

Today at the WWDC, Apple took the wraps off the new Mac Pro they've been working on that will be released later this year. It's certainly a departure from anything we've seen before at the professional level -- so read on for more photos and details of the new machine. [Update]: Be sure to check out the newest post detailing more of the features.

Apple is certainly trying to change the game when it comes to professional workstations. The new Mac Pro resembles a fancy desktop speaker, and it's absolutely tiny compared to the current Mac Pro:

Old Mac Pro and New Mac Pro

Some details:

• New Intel Xeon Processor
  • Dual Integrated AMD Workstation GPUs (This means you'll need to use OpenCL with Adobe)
  • Have up to three 4K displays on built-in workstation graphics
  • Expandable through the newly announced Thunderbolt 2
  • HDMI-Out
  • Motion-sensing ports that light up when the machine is rotated (to make plugs visible)
  • Available later in 2013
  • No price announced yet

Here's the video of the presentation:

Inside New Mac Pro

Intel Xeon in New Mac Pro

Dual AMD FirePro GPUs Apple New Mac Pro

Mac Pro Thunderbolt 2

We'll have more reactions on this announcement and everything else they've unveiled today.

So... where are the disc drives? How many hard drives of what size can it hold (perhaps offset by Thunderbolt 2, I guess)? It's hard to form much of an opinion on this yet, as there are so few details (or even pictures).
Anyway, the power seems great, but there's more to what most wanted from a Mac Pro than just power.

Blah

It seems like it'll be modular and using Thunderbolt 2.

June 10, 2013

You wont need drive now that Adobe Cloud is here! And if clients want to send something we have Dropbox now days and several other online services. The only thing I will need is an external Blu-Ray burner.

Sean

The disk drives attach to the USB/Thunderbolt ports ;-)

And looks like it will all be PCIe flash storage instead of hard drives.

June 10, 2013

Everything links externally just a flash drive inside. It has something like 6 Thunderbolt ports and 4 USB.

June 10, 2013

So I guess this is worthless to anybody using Adobe products since they won't be able to use the most out of the mercury engine.

Hubert

Actually Hibert you can have Mercury engine and CUDA, if you buy an external Thunderbolt PCIe expansion box to run nVidia cards, as if you were using a laptop. It works but it's not an elegant solution in my opinion. And so many cables if you need to buy everything separately, even the optical drive! This new mac Pro could however be as a good machine for DIT/on set work (as it's so small). Wait and see

Short Answer: No.

Robert Task Smith

I'm sure Adobe will do something.

Sean

just saw this this morning - what a coincidence!

Adobe Premiere pro Creative cloud now Supports OpenCL

alan

As Art Bell used to say in an ominous voice, "There are no coincidences..."

Marc B

Oh my, how great this will look on your desktop with 6 external drives attached to it... ;-)

June 10, 2013

That's what I was thinking...

June 11, 2013

Blah

So we have here up to three 4K displays on built-in workstation graphics and 7 Teraflops of performance and lets add FCPX that supports 4K.

I guess they could be right back on the top of the food chain.

Tim

it does remind me of a SGI workstation.

Tim

marklondon

Apple is back on top! This is will be 4K editing monster!

What about a daisy chain of 2 or 3 4K monitors, Black Magic Cinema Camera and a SSD raid on a single or two ports of the 6 available. Is anything out there coming closer?

What a monster!

Is 4k Apple Cinema Display in the pipeline with a big update for FCPX with much expanded multiple monitor and 4k rendering support?

Giovanni

Can't wait to find out more. Somehow does not look like something Jonathan Ive designed, but looking forward to any videos of him explaining his thinking on why he went with this design.

Rob

It looks great! Can't wait to find out more, but for now, this is really exciting stuff.

June 10, 2013

Now since it's a third of the size can it be a third of the price? :)

June 10, 2013

Haha. No, it'll be inversely proportional.

Dave Mueller

i like this

Alan

We don't know if it has an optical drive, so I won't comment on that. My main problem is with the material they chose for the outside. Glossy black plastic? That thing will collect fingerprints, show dust, and just feel cheap.

I was really hoping they would at least stick to the silver aluminum they use on everything else. Then again, maybe it's actually black metal and not plastic. I won't be able to tell until I see one in person.

David

It isn't plastic, it's aluminum. There's now a click-through tour on Apple's site:

June 10, 2013

Funny how Apple Releases an incredibly powerfull workhorse, just like everybody demanded and now they show it, most people are on the fences. Just wait until we have some more info and be happy that we have some imense power in such a small Shell!

Lukas

I think what we wanted was more power without having to throw away the infrastructure of our rackmounts, or expansion bays. For example Thunderbolt 2 won't be fast enough for systems such as the Red Rocket-X cards.

Isaac

You can add whatever you want on the back through all the ports provided. I am not that good with all that Hardware things, but if thunderbolt aint fast enough, what is? And I am absolutely sure that RED will come up with a solution. Btw, you will save space with the ne Macpro, as it is an eigth of the size of the old one, add all your expansions on the backand you have about what...? Half of the space a old Mac Pro would take up?

Lukas

I think his point is that it feels short sighted. It's hard to consider making an investment into something new when that new thing causes other previous investments to decrease in value and/or become incompatible & troublesome. I also don't like the seemingly manipulative way of making the Adobe suite less favorable (by CUDA complications, etc), though it's forgivable for them to optimize for FCPx, I can't help but feel they purposefully handicapped it to Adobe friendly hardware. That will not win over Adobe users, it will likely turn them against Apple for the move. Even though I am curious to see more developments on the Mac Pro line in the future, it's currently lost my confidence. I will likely not be leaving my beastly Hackintosh setup behind for this thing any time soon, but this is all just my personal opinion, it might be just perfect for some people.

Jules

This seems like this is a niche product, and I take this as a sign that they are slowly ceding the professional market to PC's. They know that TB2 will not work seamlessly with legacy RAID adapters and capture devices, and this might be their way of opting out. I suspect there just isn't enough profit in the professional market segment for them anymore compared to the consumer market.

Marc B

TB 1.0 works fine with the current Red Rocket.

There is no bottleneck when using a Sonnet or Magma expansion chassis.

jody

... and TB 2.0 will be plenty fast enough for the RRX as well... there should be no bottleneck when used with an external expansion chassis via TB 2.0... even if you used the RRX with TB 1.0, the bottleneck would be minimal.

jody

Jarred says otherwise, thunderbolt 2 is not enough for Red Rocket X

June 10, 2013

Yes, he did say that... he has contradicted himself since in his NAB post announcing the RRX, he stated that RRX is 5x faster than the current iteration.

If true, then it should only barely bottleneck a TB 1.0 and not even close to a TB 2.0...

I work with the current RR via a TB expansion chassis on a daily basis. It does not "cripple" the current RR at all. In fact, there is no noticeable difference between the TB chassis and when I install it in my Mac Pro PCI slot...

Jordy

I could see this getting really messy. Say you're a R3D user and you've got a Rocket. You used to be able to fit the Rocket and a lot of fast storage inside your tower. Now you've got an external enclosure for the Rocket and another enclosure for your storage.

Matt

Can't wait for the people that have been begging for a new mac pro for the past 2 years start hating on this even though it is literally exactly what they wanted

john jeffries

I personally love the crazy amount of expansion ports in the back. I'm planning on configuring my unit to have 2 tb or 1tb SSD and all my scratch disks/storage be external. Im already used to this workflow anyways- I work off of a maxed out 2012 Macbook Pro anyways and am used to having to plug in a couple of cables to access my G Drive and Drobo... Not a problem at all, I do this via a thunderbolt cinema display everyday or just via the inputs on the side when I'm out of the office working somewhere else.

What's more, this seems to be a great companion to BM's new 4k Camera and will really help with my multicam edits that are all shot in 1080p. On all accounts, for me this is a major win. Key word is for me though, so different strokes for different folks I guess. I've already got the peripherals so bring it on!

I like your thinking!

Sean

Not talking about adobe again. Kudos

Paul

From a chunky cheese grater to tiny coffee maker. It's just sooooo cute! :p

Razor

lol.

June 10, 2013

The cylinder shape is a little weird looking to me, but if you check out the apple site they explain the benefit of it for airflow purposes. I imagine fcpx should work nicely on those dual graphics cards.

Aaron

Mike

This is fantastic and really separates itself from the market. I transitioned from the Mac Pro to a Macbook Pro (with the full specs) at the end of 2012. The system is faster and I leverage Thunderbolt for everything including 2 monitors. This new system will replace the laptop nicely and give me more power for After Effects and Avid.

I think most people on this forum are annoyed that they have to reconfigure their setups with enclosures etc, especially those with Red Rocket cards. With GPUs that can handle 4K, why couldn't it process 4K footage? If this system can avoid the need to shell out $4K for a Red Rocket card ($4K for 4K!), it's a win for the Red people and anyone hoping to towards a 4K future.

June 10, 2013

The cleaning lady is gonna come by and throw it out thinking it's a soda can

Joe

Wow there's no love for videopeople except if you use final cut x. I love their "subtle" using open cl which you should use(is this the graphics version of the war against flash?). They are so not in touch with what at least video professionals need. No upgradeable videocard. That is probably going to halve the usability span of the computer. I have a Mac pro from 2008 that still does Great work thanks to graphics upgrades and memory upgrades. The only thing that would make this octopus attractive would be a lower price which I very much doubt it will have. A hipster workstation that's just what the world needs. Just because you say something is revolutionary doesen't make it so. They made a fallos mac mini with a xeon processor and 6 thunderbolt ports wow they must have thought long and hard about that and the small design is going to really push their engineering team to prioritise what is important to us professionals like dissipating heat from a processor and dual graphics cards from a small box instead of giving us what most of us want which is a Mac pro with more pci-ports and fcp8 with graphicscard support, background rendering, 64bit architecture and back compability with old fcp7 projects (sometimes simplicity is not in the design but in giving people what they need and I need the above a whole lot more then I need a portable workstation. The biggest enemy of people doing great things is hubris it is time for Apple to eat some humble pie.

T

"with graphicscard support, background rendering, 64bit architecture and back compability with old fcp7 projects"

Are you living under a rock? X does ALL of those.

john jeffries

I dont want x. I want an updated fcp7. It is unbelivable that the difference is not obvious. I mean an RV and a Ferrari with a livingtrailer do the same thing but i wouldnt say that that they are the same. The question is who of us is under the rock. Most people that I know who have seen the light in regards to apples recent developments are the ones moving to premiere or avid and buying hp. I love OSX but I think the new Mac pro with only one processor is the r2d2 shaped nail in the coffin of my proffesional Mac usage. I will still use it privately since they still make the best laptops in the world but who knows maybe they manage to make that into a worthless box too.

June 11, 2013

T

Who needs an optical drive anyway. If you do. Get a usb 3.0 drive.

Open GL 4.0 in new OSX

New generation thunderbolt will support external GPU CUDA cards.

Premiere and Davinci will fly even on open cl on this machine.

Nice:)

Paul Jay

The all new Mac Pro. Not to be confused with a dehumidifier.

Nate Martin