Submit to the Scriptnotes 'Three Page Challenge' & Have Your Work Read by John August & Craig Mazin
Scriptnotes, the podcast from screenwriters John August and Craig Mazin that we’ve featured on nofilmschool a number of times (and also happens to be one of the most popular podcasts about that topic), is running a challenge for listeners to submit three pages of their original work, to be read and critiqued on an upcoming podcast. Click below for more details and learn how to enter!
John August, whose credits include Go and Tim Burton’s Big Fish and Charlie and Chocolate Factory, has been running his screenwriting blog since 2003, when dinosaurs roamed the internet. On the Scriptnotes podcast, August and Hangover II and III scribe Craig Mazin discuss “screenwriting and related topics in the film and television industry, everything from getting stuff written to the vagaries of copyright and work-for-hire law.” On an upcoming podcast, Mazin and August will be reviewing work from readers:
On an upcoming podcast, Craig and I will be looking at three pages — and only three pages! — from listener-submitted scripts. We will provide some critique and comments on what we read. It’s fun and free and open to everyone.
Some more details on how to submit your work:
- Entries must be submitted by email to email@example.com.
- Three pages of screenplay or teleplay, folks. Anything longer will be deleted immediately.
- A cover page is okay but not required. (It doesn’t count as one of your three pages.)
- It doesn’t have to be the first three pages, but we’ll probably understand it better if it is.
- Don’t send in log lines, synopses or anything else.
- If you haven’t yet, you may want to check out Stuart’s post on Learning from the Three Page Challenge before submitting.
For the rest of the details on submitting, head on over to August’s blog.
What do you think of this idea? Will you be submitting? As a screenwriter, what’s your opinion of the idea? Do you think it would be helpful to your own work?
- Good Screenplays Start with Great Endings (from John August & Craig Mazin)
- Five Screenplay Transition Tips to Improve Your Script from John August & Craig Mazin
- Five Tests to See Whether a Character's Voice is Working (from John August & Craig Mazin)