June 26, 2013

'You Film, They Edit': Videopixie & Viedit Offer Marketplaces for Freelance Editors to Cut Your Projects

Unfortunately enough, I'm sure many of us have been there: sitting on what seems like a mountain of raw footage, the beginnings of a project that grows in scope, intimidation, and horror every day you continue putting it off. In such circumstances, you may have found yourself longing for a fast and easy way to scope out the reels of freelance editors, who could sculpt that mountain into the final cut you'd been wanting all along -- and maybe even set your price range. Thanks to the services Viedit and Videopixie, these scenarios are now realities. Each offers a variation on a 'marketplace of editors,' both focusing on speed, modest pricing, and ease.

This info comes us to via TechCrunch, who recently wrote up Videopixie -- the comments of which also opened my eyes to Viedit. The services are fundamentally comparable, with some subtle but potentially key differences in their models.

Videopixie: "The Best Editors & Animators for Any Budget"

Straight from Videopixie:

Everyone wants to have great video on their website, but hiring an old-school video agency gets really expensive. Videopixie is a marketplace where you can hire the world’s best video professionals at a range of price points, to fit any budget.

Retailers use Videopixie to make weekly product videos. Game companies use Videopixie to make trailers, using in-game footage, to air on national TV. Newly-weds use Videopixie to edit their five hours of ‘big-day’ footage into a five-minute keepsake for life.

Check out some example videos, or take a tour.

Videopixie takes a bit of a simpler route for clients than does Viedit (which we'll explore a little later on), highlighting flat rates for various styles of projects. That said, "Prices vary based on the amount of footage, the attention to storytelling, the presence of animations, the need for color grading and sound correction, the design of new assets, the experience and talent of the artist, and the number of iterations." Base figures are as follows: $500 for wedding keepsakes, $400 for 'spunky game trailers,' $200 for narrated screencasts and mobile app demos, $150 for fundraiser videos, $100 for 'vacation memories,' $70 for customer interviews, and $50 for product video edits. Editors are selected in the following ways:

1. Basic Editing (3 cuts). These projects have fixed prices, and you don't get to choose the editor.
    Prices range from $50 to $300, depending on the type of video.
  2. Creative Contest. In this option you set the prize money ($300 to $500). Then the editors create teaser videos, and you pick the one you most like to finish the project.
  3. Ask For Bids. In this option you don't set a price - you ask the editors to bid a price for your project. Then you look at the editors' prices and reels, and pick one. Bids tend to range from a a hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.

According to Videopixie's FAQ, an editor does not get paid anything if s/he does not 'win' a project -- the service is also considering altering this policy and is reaching out for feedback regarding the matter.

Viedit: 'A Global Video Editing Marketplace'

Given the following videos, the differences between Viedit and Videopixie become pretty apparent:

And, on the other side of things, is some info for would-be Vieditors:

Viedit's categorization process does seem to allow a bit more customization in terms of genre and style than Videopixie's, but then again, Videopixie seems more flexible in allowing running times beyond Viedit's four pre-fixed lengths. That said, both of these services are significantly young, and though they currently have a seemingly majority-focus on non-narrative material, that doesn't mean they're necessarily 'dead-ends' for freelance editors. We would certainly like to hear from users of either service from both sides of the client-editor experience.

What do you guys think? Are these rates too 'cut-rate' for any reasonable editor to bring home the bacon? Or, could these models offer a convenient gateway to happy transactions for both clients and freelancers?

Link:

[via TechCrunch]

Look at that, they're using FCPX in the promo. Awesome.

Julian

I think that was calculated.

marklondon

Never a good sign.

June 28, 2013

NiceMarmot

Creating a 'teaser' for a chance to 'win' $300-$500 worth of work doesn't sound like an effective way to make money...

Eric

oh man, this doesn't look all that great

mark

Wow, it's oDesk for editors. This will be great if you live in India. Probably not so much if you don't.

June 26, 2013

Just another place where a worthwhile skill will be pitifully undervalued.

Jared

Another thing, from the perspective of using these services - this post starts with talking about big projects with mountains of footage, but it seems like these services are geared mostly toward small consumer projects. I would agree that too many of us (myself included) rely too heavily on being a one-man-band, but this doesn't look like much of a solution. I think we probably need to network more as a community, collaborate more and help each other directly rather than through profit-generating intermediaries.

June 26, 2013

Just call an editor, please. We're out there, and a lot of us are talented.

alex

Pretty sad but that's the way things are going. A lot of work. A lot of crap. Some gems.

D Slack

It's only the way things are going because it's what editors are accepting. After years of tutorials, classes, trial and error, an editor is worth more than this. The only reason they're not getting it is because desperate people are taking it upon themselves to take garbage pay and do their part in undervaluing the skill. A good editor isn't like a McDonald's employee where the customer "could" do it if they wanted to. They can't. They're incapable of doing what a good editor can do in every sense of the word. There's no reason for that type of skill to be so undervalued.

Jared

I edit for a cosmetic company full time, there is no way a company like this could do as well as someone who knows a brand in and out. think of all of the creative meetings, brand recognition and direction. that would be lost
by hiring someone from an online service like this.
All of the professional editors have nothing to fear, it will be a big help for new editors that do want to edit peoples home movies and blog videos
I remember one company I worked for hired a new creative manager and he said, "why are we paying so much for Editing??? I saw an ad on craiglslist for the same service for much less!"
I told him there are a lot of people that do his job on craigslist as well, that's not usually the go to site for hiring a professional!

stanley k.

But she said it was better this way! Didn't you see her smile? She can't be lying....

Derek

FCPX... She cannot be trusted.

June 28, 2013

NiceMarmot

I have gotten many "professional" jobs from craigslist, including national broadcast gigs. Even had a job that got me a salary and benefits. I do live in L.A. though....

C-lister

well sorry about that! I didn't mean you, I meant the other 100,000 editors on craigslist jk
I live in los Angeles as well and started landing my first jobs on craigslist too, damn I sucked back then, I should give them their money back!
I was the bad editor hired from craigslist im speaking of!
The first companies I worked for were looking for the lowest bidder, and that seems to be this online services niche

stanley k.

Its worse in photography. Anyone can go plunk down a couple of grand on kit, print a business card, set up a Facebook page and WHAM - there a professional photographer. Take the low to mid tier real-estate market, once a nice little earner, now its being decimated by these midnight cowboys and large agencies who tie up all the work to give to the cowboys while farming the editing out to Indian sweat shops.

Paul

We received an unusual amount of job applications from editors in Nairobi the last couple of days; 'Where are all these editors coming from and where are they going to find jobs?' I thought to myself... Now I know!

June 27, 2013

The title of this post should be, "You film, and a bunch of hipsters screw up your final video."

Robert

I'll be honest. As editing is my main way of making a living, my heart beat a little anxious off-beat when I read this. There seems to be this insane neoliberal attitude creeping into EVERYTHING, that basically suggests that people should be fighting over any shitty little job, and feel lucky if they get it. Certainly sounds like a decent way to reduce a creative process to a repetitive 6 day a week poo-fest.

I'm much rather talk to human beings, understand what it is that they want/need, and do everything in my power to provide it for them. Empathising with a client in order to understand exactly what it is that they want to convey doesn't seem to come into it. And...I haven't even mentioned the middleman which is the website itself which will obviously be making money off the whole soulless process.

I bet I end up using one at some point...sigh....

Am I being a little cynical?

amithatbugsbunny

I was nervous reading this as well. It seems to be a way of devaluing the editor. I hope not and maybe I'm wrong and it'll be a good thing, but I don't know. Like you, I will probably end up making one soon :(

Jason

This is very similar to what themeforest.com (Envato) network has done. Sites like these really help out foreign workers who can work for much cheaper (probably with non-legit software copies) and still produce nice work.

I try to base my work on how much value I create. Which means not every video project in the world is right for me, just the ones I can add great value to. So there is really no reason for me to take work from a website like this because I'm not adding any great value to these projects. They are not my ideal customer.

June 27, 2013

I'm a little surprised that this post is so positive about these services. You seem to be touting this as a good thing?

Brian

This is just like someone posting an add on craigslist. "Editor with professional experience needed. Must have knowledge of FCP, Adobe suite, Avid a plus. Must have own equipment and software. Have to fight for every job that will lead to very little pay."

I hate everything about this. Editing is a very specialized and time consuming job that takes legitimate skill and a decent technological prowess. Every single job and price listed is extremely undervalued. I hope nobody intends on using this kind of shit, at least until the compensation becomes reasonable. If you are good at your job DO NOT edit anything for less than $15/ hr, and that's still a low number.

Ryan

Seen elance.com? Same thing.

There's a Seattle Craigslist ad offering to pay $14 per one minute of edited video with no indication of the content. Why anyone would be willing to throw their time away like this is sad.

Stick to your guns folks, do GREAT work, and make yourself stand out to the better clients. The cheap ones aren't going to help your carrer, which is what the above companies cater to. It's a tough market, but caving in to low fees will only make it tougher for everyone.

Dave

I can't believe anyone is really worried about this. Are you seriously going to tell me someone will go through hundreds of hours of footage for a nominal fee and produce an edit worthwhile? Be my guest.

How many people call themselves painters? And what percentage of those are actually making a living from it? Editing is an Art and you get what you pay for. So go ahead and hire my neighbor Bob over Picasso.

PayDro

Unfortunately there's a lot of company's like these out there (Smartshoot, StudioNow, LightSwitch to name a few more) and they all make the same pitch of quick, easy and affordable video for customers which equates to unlivable wages and/or terrible ICA's for the creative freelancers on the other end.

VideoPixie/Viedit make the problem worse by miseducating customers that video professionals are willing to work for next to nothing; in addition to totally glossing over the time, experience and gear that it takes to create excellent work and inherent value of video as a communication tool.

There's no way to make a living on the rates these sites offer so don't even bother signing up (they'll actually use inactive accounts in their arithmetic to advertise how large their user base is).

If you are talented then you also need be confident in what you think your skills are worth. Figure out what rate will give you a livable income w/o having to break your back - then stand behind it. If you do good work and aren't a jerk to folks you'll grow a nice client-base sooner than you think.

Don't even want to get started on how wrong the "contest" model is.

Wattz

Wow, lots of fear from professionals, here... I don't understand why you guys get upset of fearful in any way: you said that yourself, this is a marketplace for standard jobs, for small gigs, for starters.. doesn't seem to cut your share, right?
It was inevitable, I was just waiting for this to happen.
Personally I think you should understand that a marketplace like this is exactly what you guys would want: in fact, services like these two (but there are tons out there, in any country, believe me) are only going to give clients a better idea of what they will not want. They will not want a amateur video, they will not want a video who looks like many others, they will not want the standard. So they'll ultimately call a professional if they have a professional job to be covered. This is only good, my friends.
Cheers

June 27, 2013

I'm glad that you illustrate the positive side of these websites as well, Pier! A marketplace like Viedit makes the editor the hero, visualizes his / her work and makes it standout due to positive feedback of clients. In my opinion, these platforms can have a positive influence for professional editors as well. A lot of people (myself included) are/were not very aware of the profession of video editing. By exploring these platforms, I've seen a lot of cool movies which really demonstrate editors' skills. I think it might change the willingness to pay for such creative work.

June 28, 2013

Maarten Huijs

The link to Viedit's homepage brings you to their knowledge base...

You should follow this one instead: http://www.viedit.com/editor

Cheers

June 28, 2013

Orin

Viedit just launched in Beta and aims to be the community of worldwide editors enabling them to accept ONLY prepaid projects that fit their preferences (genres, themes and prices). Therefore editors can set their own prices and preview offered projects. The first to accept to gets the project and only editors can contact the client. Viedit believes in transparency, integrity and of a proper client feedback enabling the best editors to get recognised and fair rewarded for their creative work.

June 29, 2013

Getting started can be tough, but if you stick with it,
post to forums, create a word-press blog or two, you can actually get
webmasters and others to purchase your services.
Firstly although you could gain qualifications or learn any business you want, it
is always best to stick with what you know or do something you already understand, follow something you have a
strong interest in or are already good at. It is here that you are very likely to find content writers
as well as those experienced in audio and video creation
that would be more than willing to work with you on your work form home ideas, helping in creating your project.

March 10, 2014

Is marketing included in your services?

July 30, 2014