New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Footage to Feast Your Eyes On

The first cameras could be in the hands of some lucky owners by the end of the month, but until then, if you've still been on the fence about what the little Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is capable of, we've got some new footage to show you. While the previous clips were from John Brawley -- who has worked closely with Blackmagic to develop the camera -- the new clip is from a third party entirely. Check out some brand new Pocket footage below.

This was sent over by Hook who is one half of A Couple of Night Owls:

Here is what was posted for the description:

Been out grabbing some footage and testing this little guy the last week or so and having a blast! I really can't get over the image that's coming from this tiny little package. Amazing. The stealth factor is also great as everyone assumes you're on a typical "point and shoot" and don't think twice so pay you no attention. I can see myself shooting casually with this more than my EF 2.5k model (which i plan to sell to get the MFT mount version) as it's so portable and light-weight, i can take it just about anywhere with me. I couldn't bring myself to rig up this camera as it kind of defeats the purpose to me.

The footage is mostly made up of our Canon L Primes via the Redrcok Live Lens adapter so that i can control aperture on our lenses. Some shots are with the Panasonic/Lumix 12-35/2.8 (thanks to Gilbert for loaning me this and a couple of other active lenses to test with).

Lenses used in this clip are:

Canon 24/1.4L
Canon 35/1.4L
Canon 50/1.2L
Canon 100/2.8L
Panasonic/Lumix 12-35/2.8

Everything is either handheld, on a monopod, or on a Glidecam HD4000 (thanks to Si Moore). Majority is shot at ASA400 (did not shoot RAW) with a few of the night shots at ASA800, but even some of them are at 400. Most of the night shots are also at F1.4. The glidecam stuff by the beach was the Lumix 12-35 at around F16 (don't have any ND's that fit the filter thread). Otherwise the majority of the day shots are at F2.0 using Tiffen IRND's to get appropriate exposure.

Shot in BMDFilm with my LUT applied, and only minor corrections beyond that:
captainhook.co.nz/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lut/

I can see this camera becoming VERY popular. Great stuff and congrats again to all the team at blackmagic, plus a HUGE thank you to BMD for letting me take this guy for a test drive!!

If you missed the previous videos showing off the camera, here they are:

The big question I'm sure most of you have is, will you get your camera by the end of the month? Blackmagic has said they would ship by July, but they've never mentioned how many cameras they think they can ship. It should also be noted that shipping for them really means shipping to resellers like B&H, which means it can take additional time for the resellers to get everything in order. While I do think at least some cameras could ship this month, it's anyone's guess how many they have on order and how many they expect to get out in the next few weeks -- especially since they are still fulfilling backorders on the original BMCC.

As for the 4K camera, Blackmagic says they are still working to ship by the end of this month. Not having footage in public yet doesn't necessarily mean anything, but at NAB the Pocket seemed farther along in the process. We'll just have to wait and see.

Links:

-5 X2 +1000 / 7

Chris Lambert

143.14?

Edgar

135.71

kuban

42.

-5 X2 +1000 / 7=132.857142857

But if you had said

(-5 X2 +1000) / 7

Then it would have been 141.42857429

It just depends. But I'll submit my math for a grade.

But the camera's great. Maybe the next generation will do 60fps. :-) And yeah, for a first generation out of the gates this is good accomplishment!

Gene

Actually you have to do X and / first then + and - so it's more like -5 X2 +1000 / 7 is (-5x2) + (1000/7) which means -10 + 142.86 = 132.86. :-)

July 23, 2013

Robert

same numbers. you rounded off before me did

July 23, 2013

Gene

but if you look at the original intent of this here equation it would be:

6+ (-5) X 2 + 1000/7

Can you do those Jethro Bodine gozintas?

July 23, 2013

Gene

And that would mean this, wunt it?

((6+ (-5)) X 2) + (1000/7)

July 23, 2013

Gene

Math.

Cassidy Hilton

Meth.

Swissted

Damn. I was told there'd be no math in this career path.

Jeff

lol, still think this is funny

July 24, 2013

Gene

best replies ever

July 24, 2013

The footage looks fantastic; the taste in music is atrocious.

Jim

LOL what do you mean? I see you're not a fan of the hipster-summer-acoustic one hit wonders... shame on you!!

but seriously... the footage lookjs f'in amazing... to have this in my pocket would be just amazing. I also don't see the point on having this rigged up. The way to go is to couple this little monster camera with the amazing Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 and just have fun...

July 22, 2013

I’m a hobbyist who shoots on a GoPro Hero 3 and iPhone. I have zero experience with “real cameras” so please bear with me:

I’m sold on this camera, but having no experience on lenses my question is: What is it about the Panasonic 12-35 F2.8 that everyone seems to say that it would be perfect for this camera? The lens is more expensive than the camera itself so I would like to know if this is the one lens I should get started in the world of “real cameras”.

Jorge

I think people are assuming it's the most versatile lens to use. 12-35mmX2.8 crop factor means a zoom of roughly 35-100mm, or a wide to telephoto range. The lens is also stabilized and fairly bright. But with the micro4/3 mount there will be many possibilities.

Jackson

1. It's reasonably fast (f2.8)
2. it's reasonably wide (12mm = 34.5mm full frame equivalent)
3. It's a constant aperture zoom
4. it's sharp (on par with Canon L glass)
5 It's got IS (image stabilization), which on this light lil' guy may make or break handheld footage!

There's not another lens I'm aware of the check's all these boxes, though that's not to say it's the one and only option.

Scott

Thanks. I love the fact that there is so much agreement that this would be the best all-around lens for the BMPCC. It makes things easier on newbs like myself.

Jorge

Just to clarify what's been said in case it's at all confusing, the biggest difficulty with this camera is to get a wide angle since the sensor on this camera is pretty small and therefore makes lenses 2.8x more telephoto (but for simple reference just use 3x for easy approximation). So for instance, a 35mm will be roughly a 105mm (35 x 3) and a 50mm will be 150mm. This is great when going for telephoto, but not so great when going for wide since even a very wide lens like Canon's 14mm would be 42mm, not very wide. The 12-35 gives you a moderately wide option (12 x 3 = 36, and is actually more like 33.5) all the way to a nice telephoto (35 x 3 = 105) all in one lens. The constant 2.8 means that you do not need to decrease aperture when going telephoto, which is a limitation of many zooms, and 2.8 is moderately fast and therefore decent in low light. The IS (image stabilization) will be very helpful, especially on a camera this small. And lastly the lens seems to be pretty darn sharp. Do a vimeo search for this lens and you'll see some good examples. So, yes this lens is a great partner for this camera and it's not uncommon these days for the lens to be more expensive than the camera.

One thing to keep in mind is that this lens is only made for 4/3 mount cameras. So it's great on this camera or something like the GH3, but it would not work on Canon or Nikon or Sony cameras since the sensor on those cameras are too large for this lens. But all things considered, if you could only buy one lens for this camera, I'd get the 12-35, no question.

Jonesy

Thanks for the detailed reply! This is the one I'm getting then.

Jorge

Or you can attach the speedbooster to subtract .71 from 2.8 and get a wider angle of view, closer to super35 sized sensors.

VinceGOrtho

Could go the speedbooster route, though you'll probably loose Image Stabilization, which is one reason why it makes sense to stick with native lenses designed for the camrea/sensor if you can. I'm sure there'll be an extra wide option for m4/3 available at some point - how pricey it ends up being is another matter.

Scott

The best thing to keep in mind when buying cameras and lenses is this: The camera itself is like a phone, every year a better one comes out with new features, better image quality or resolution, and versatility. You'll probably upgrade often (probably as often as you do with your iphone!)

But your lenses are an investment. You can use them on any of your future camera bodies (or adapt them to fit to other brands of cameras). Your lenses will always outlive your camera, and good optics never go out of date. So when you see a lens that's "More expensive than the camera", keep that in mind. A good lens could last you a lifetime!

July 22, 2013

I would think the Olympus 14-35mm 2.8 would be even better, if twice as expensive.

Kenneth Merrill

Is it a 2.0 rather?

Searching. Can't find an Olympus 14-35mm 2.8. Finding an Olympus 14-35mm 2.0 for $2299.99. Photo samples are glorious. Is that the one?

Gene

Yeah that's it. 2.0? Even better! Pretty expensive but it would be a super nice all-around lens to have. For cinema I usually prefer primes, but on a camera as portable as this, I would rather keep it that way and just use one lens most of the time.

Kenneth Merrill

I'm really looking forward to samples from the BM 4K. Maybe some samples will be with expensive lenses to show the best it can do.

July 23, 2013

Gene

Apparently that one is 4/3, not micro 4/3 correct? So one would need an adapter to use it on this camera right?

July 23, 2013

Jorge

I would add that the Olympus doesn't have IS also. I'll take an IS lens for a camera like as small as this because hand shake is going to be enormous for my jittery hands. Also I think that Brawley has said there isn't an active 4/3 to M4/3 adapter that will work with this camera...yet.

July 23, 2013

Gavin

And I forgot to say that the size of the Olympus is about the same size as the Canon 24-70, almost completely killing the "pocket" size of this camera, while the Panasonic is still relatively small.

July 23, 2013

Gavin

Thanks for the info, Gavin. I'm new to the 4/3 world and didn't know the difference in mount. Also, IS would be a huge selling point for me. So yeah, I would probably go with the panasonic then.

July 23, 2013

Kenneth

@ Jorge:
Yes, that's right.
Four Thirds was the precursor format to Micro Four Thirds, so finding an adapter from the former to the latter shouldn't be hard.

July 24, 2013

Blah

There are adapters, but not an active one that plays nice with the camera...yet.

July 24, 2013

Gavin

wow just wow morethan enough Cinematic look & DoF

arn

My question is, is it worth buying when you have a Canon APS-C (as it can record RAW without all the Magic Lantern pain)
Telling from this footage it doesn't look like a big step up (?)

July 22, 2013

Your question is not easy to understand.

Yes, it worths every cent.
No, it doesn't have a APS-C.
The raw work flow is basically the same as the ML is converted to cinemadng in one step.
Yes, the image quality is improved greatly.
No, nobody has seen raw from the pocket camera jet.
And no, it is impossible to have a complete judgement since the footage is already heavenly compressed. But the aesthetic, color, and dynamic range is already notorious in prores mode.

Edgar

"Heavenly compressed" is the best typo I've seen in a long time.

hansd

hahaha

July 24, 2013

July 24, 2013

great answer xD

July 23, 2013

CSG

I agree your question is not easy to understand. What are your plans for shooting? Subject? Pro? Hobby? If no one knows your intended use, it's pure guessing. Even with the camera not out yet, it's still guessing.

Chris H

well you're forgetting that the internet compresses video when you put it on vimeo or youtube or ANY online video hub. the heavy compression is how they are able to store it all on their servers. what we really need to see is what this looked like pre-compression.

July 24, 2013

chris

I've had my order in but just can't seem to get excited yet. The back log (from what I'm told) is ridicules. But in the mean time I'm learning which lenses will fly with this S16 sensor, and no it's not an issue, though speed is my biggest concern. It should be fun collecting some S16 and C mount lenses for this little beast. Thanks

Anthony Marino

That looks gorgeous.

July 22, 2013

Does anyone have any info on the 4K camera? Here we are, three days before their supposed ship date and no one has seen what the 4K camera can do. Does anyone think these two cameras are shipping on time as promised?

matthewx

IMO, too much blue (again) added in grading. In any case, BMD has a big presentation in LA on Thursday, where more of their plans will likely be announced. On EOS HD post a few days ago, the meme was that the Euro retailers have no knowledge of the shipment schedule yet. Maybe we all get first clues on the 25th.

DLD