Description image

EF & MFT 2.5K Blackmagic Cinema Cameras Just Got a Massive Price Drop

08.2.13 @ 5:11AM Tags : , , ,

Blackmagic Cinema Camera - Micro 4-3 Mount Without Lens - FrontWe just got through talking about Blackmagic’s low numbers for shipping Pocket Cinema Cameras, and the delay on the Production Camera 4K, but now we’ve got some pretty exciting news about their other camera straight from CEO Grant Petty. The 2.5K Blackmagic Cinema Camera, which we’ve told you is now shipping regularly from major resellers, just got a massive price drop. Instead of retailing for $3,000, the company has now reduced the camera’s price to just $2,000. Here is what Petty said about the shipping dates:

The new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is now shipping and there is a software update for it posted on our web site.

There are some new features in the software for the Pocket Cinema Camera. You can now focus by pushing the focus button when using an active MFT lens. This makes it very easy to accurately focus. The focus peaking feature is still there and you enable it by double pressing the focus button. The focus zoom feature is enabled by double pressing the OK button.

There will be an update for the 2.5K Blackmagic Cinema Camera soon that will also add these features, plus new de-bayer processing that will improve the cameras sharpness when shooting non RAW files.

The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is not yet shipping as we need some more time. Our first batch of sensors was delivered only this week, so we have not been able to complete the software for the camera. We expect to start shipping in about 3 to 4 weeks once the final software work and testing is completed.

Here he is on the price drop (emphasis mine):

We have worked very hard over the last year to be able to build the Blackmagic Cinema Camera at a lower cost so we can reduce the price and allow access to digital filming to a wide range of cinematographers and photographers.

We have done it and from today the Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF and MFT models will be reduced in price to US$1,995. This is very exciting and is one of the proudest moments of my life to be able to do this!

I think people will be able to use the savings to invest in some exciting lenses and rigs to really boost the creative possibilities. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera is a fantastic design that’s now well proven. The advantage of the 2.5K sensor is it has enough resolution to eliminate the bayer resolution loss of a HD sensor, but when shooting RAW it produces files that are too not to big to store and work with easily. It’s a fantastic solution.

All orders placed that have not yet been filled, can be reduced to the new lower price.

This is absolutely dirt cheap when you consider that the camera still comes with a full version of DaVinci Resolve, a program that retails for almost $1,000. If you were to buy that software plus UltraScope separately, you’re almost getting the camera for free. There is no doubt that Blackmagic wants to take some of the heat off for not quite delivering on time with the new cameras, though this is definitely a more interesting way to do it. Obviously if you bought a camera only recently, you’re probably disappointed that you could have saved $1,000 from the retail price, but that’s kind of the way it is with any product.

Grant also mentioned that they’ve developed a new community for content creators called Splice:

So I have created a new community page where we have people talking about their stories and posting their projects and images online. It’s not about Blackmagic here, as I really just want to share people’s stories about their work and how they got started in the industry.

I get to talk to so many people from thousands of post production and broadcast facilities, so I hope this website lets others enjoy these stories as well.

When we proposed this website to people in the industry, they were really receptive to the idea and have been fantastic in supporting it. They have really opened up and shared the tough times as well as the good times. They have explained how they got started in the industry and even the big breaks that made them who they are today. It’s fantastic and we are so lucky that we have had this support.

If you are interested in reading these stories, please head to www.splicecommunity.com

I hope that Splice will be a community space where you can go to see the background stories behind so many great projects. We will feature everything we can from feature films, shorts, TVCs and documentaries. There are loads of projects from directors, DPs, editors, colorists, visual effects artists and post houses who have all shared their stories.

With all of the recent developments with other camera systems, and the missed shipping target for the 4K cam, this price drop makes a lot of sense. Blackmagic has proven once again they are willing to shake things up a little, even if it might upset a few customers or lose a little money in the short term.

For those looking at their next camera, is the 2.5K BMCC back on your radar if you’d been looking elsewhere?

Links:

COMMENT POLICY

Description image 126 COMMENTS

• Ahmet Ardal on 08.2.13 @ 5:19AM

This is wonderful news!
    I was going to go out to buy the BMCC from a local dealer an hour ago and I just checked my inbox and saw Grant Petty’s email. :)

• WOW! Perfect reaction from BMD! Thanks Grant!

• This is not how those of us that just took a massive hit to resale and rental value feel!

• It never had any resale value, I could already find BMCs for $2000-2200 in the used market, it still is their 1st gen product, you should have known better if you cared about it’s “value”, and not buy beta products..

• Selling something for 2/3 of the original price isn’t bad at all. But no matter what it was, when you drop a new price by 1/3, then the resale drops by 1/3. And most likely the rental as well.

• You lost me at ‘it never had any resale value’. What the hell are you talking about? Resale value of cameras owned by the early adopters just went from $2500 to $1500 as a reward for sticking with Blackmagic through all the crap.

• @Ant – The challenge of humility is to become selfless by celebrating in someone else’s excitement.

• I was going to invest in a BMPCC as a backup to my BMCC, but I might as well just pick up another BMCC and sell off the Resolve licence for $700. That’ll mean I pay +/- $1300 for a 2.5K RAW camera. And I can use all the same accessories and lenses. Way to go BMD!

• Ahhh!!! This is epic news!!!!!!

• Does this mean the 2,000$ BMCC will still include the davinci resolve?

• Chris Lambert on 08.2.13 @ 5:35AM

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Canon raw fanboy voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

• don’t forget that the 5D has a full frame sensor…

• Chris Lambert on 08.2.13 @ 6:17AM

Couldn’t really care about the 35mm sensor low light is the only thing that would sway me to the 5d, yes I know that comes from the sensor if ML get pro res or compressed dngs then maybe well talk but this price drop has seriously got me considering abandoning my 4k pre order and ordering

• I understand your point… I’m about to do the same! Having the 2,5K BMCC with MFT mount + metabones speed booster would allow me to have the best of both worlds (my arsenal of vintage 4/3 lenses which are cheap and fast) and my L lenses from Canon. What I was saying is that full frame has a different aesthetic on it’s own and it has nothing to do with low light capability!

• Chris Lambert on 08.2.13 @ 6:43AM

sure but it’s an aesthetic that’s getting a bit over used now don’t you think? Camera manufacturers spent years trying to get more in focus and then along comes the 5d and suddenly everything has to be shot at a max speed of f1.9 on one hand it’s made filmmaking more accessible to everyone but on the other its made people obsessed with shallow dof to the point it’s distracting in what they do produce or has a non immersive wow look at how just in focus that is too the casual viewer.

I always have a dslr in my bag tho just in case. just have to see what comes first my 4k camera or the ongoing job i absolutely have too shoot on the original.

Also it has made the pocket quite a bit less attractive as pocket + speed booster now = sameish crop as the BMC for only slightly less money onto more expensive media per gig so it’s basically a call it situation: smaller with the option of having a larger crop should you need it vs 2.5k

• You can’t use EF glass on the passive MTF BMCC with a speed booster. No apature control.

• love this comment

• will still include the davinci resolve?

• Joe Marine on 08.2.13 @ 5:38AM

From my understanding it will include Resolve. Nothing has changed with the package, just the price. If that is wrong, however, I will update the post.

• Fair play to Grant and Black Magic Design. They promised too much with their shipment dates, missed them time and again and thereby created a lack of confidence in their company with many people.
    So they’ve addressed people’s concerns (after a time) by explaining what’s been happening with reasonable explanation and answered popular discontent with an incredible price reduction. Imagine Canon doing this (yeah, right). BMD, a very good move on both counts which is of benefit to all.
    I really want to see these guys and their cameras make waves.

• So do we buy the MFT version and then get the MetaBones Speed Booster to make our EF lenses wider and brighter?

• yeah I was kind of wondering the same thing… is the 4K really important right now? wouldn’t it be better to have a the BMCC 2,5K in MFT mount + speed booster (total of 2500$) as this would give us shooters the possibility to use both MFT and EF lenses for about half the price of the 4K BMCC?

• Remember the 2.5k BMCC is a dumb mount, so you don’t have aperture control on Canon EF lenses. You’ll need full manual glass.

• I don’t know if this possibility has been talked about by Metabones, but an alternative (and cheaper) dumb mount EF to MFT Speed Booster adapter with aperture control like the Nikon to MFT Speed Booster would be a wonderful option in this case. You would lose IS but you can rig unwanted vibrations off if needed.

Of course an active MFT mount update would also be great and not impossible considering the BMPCC has it, but perhaps that’s asking too much right now? This new price is absolutely good news.

• Im with you, I would love an active MTF lens mount for IS and you know, changing aperture

• Not too much of an issue if you use actual cinema glass, or vintage glass.

• Indeed, I love me some manual, but the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 is a lovely lens that’d need some active help for exposing (or I could just get the Nikon mount version and a Nikon to MFT Speed Booster which has an aperture ring).
          Although I’ve read the focus ring keeps on spinning, it has no hard stops, which is a bummer.

• BM is the new RED, but more affordable.

• This was done to battle the Magic Lantern 5DIII RAW seems like.

• Uh, no.

• MLRaw is sweet but pretty much unusable in a professional setting.

• A ton of people (professionals or not) were saying, at least, that they were going for a 5D3 with Magic Lantern rather than a BMCC. This basically sends anyone on the fence straight back to Blackmagic; fantastic camera that’s even more of a bargain now.

I can’t see the price of Resolve on eBay holding up, though. :)

• The downside to the 5D3 RAW is that it still suffers from more detail mush than a BMCC.

• Michael Hawk on 08.2.13 @ 11:48AM

It also looks “videoish” compared to the more “filmic” look of the bmcc.

• More videoish? Detail mush? lol

you guys should get ourselves into MKIII raw. I’m doing some shoots with 4x 64gb 1000x cards about 50min total. The quality after proper treatment in resolve is on par with BM, with no moire. Colors are just great.
            The only drawback really is the file size, but you can convert to prores HQ or cineform 444 and that’s just fine.

But the BM camera at this price tag is plain awesome, but MKIII’s raw is developing really fast, now they’re going to the 2nd generation of encoding and things are really promissing… Plus Komputerbay cards are cheap and reliable right now.

Also Magic lantern has tons of features laking on BM camera.

Since I’ve got a MKIII I’m not that desperate to make my move right now. I’m waiting for the 4K one… But not that in a hurry, after all my clients are not paying the extra for Raw quality or even prores. For them H264 is just fine…

But If I had a MKII or something, a BMCC EF would be my next camera. Awesome discount!

• Hmmmm… Or maybe I can get 2 BMPCCs!

• The main drawback of Chromecast is that it doesn’t mirror the desktop or other applications. Although it’s more expensive my Apple TV lets me share photos, presentations, spreadsheets, etc. And, with the new OS, I will be able to not just mirror but extend the desktop as well. If you are using the apple ecosystem, I think the Apple TV is a better choice.

• Anyone have a date (or leads) on release of mft mount to ef lens speed booster?

I’ve heard “August” or “later this year”- I think this would be great for MFT BMC cameras for our manual cine lenses

• Rodrigo Molinsky on 08.2.13 @ 8:00AM

Wait, WHEN?!? Because I was going to NYC just to buy this baby in B&H and now I need to know if the value will drop in month already.

• Rodrigo Molinsky on 08.2.13 @ 8:00AM

Wait, WHEN?!? Because I was going to NYC just to buy this baby in B&H and now I need to know if the value will drop in this month already.

• i’m sure two things made this price drop happen: %80 ml and 20% shipment delays

• Wow. I was on the fence about what cam to pick up but this is an offer I really can’t refuse. Only question now is how long it will take to get hold of one!

• I’d rather they keep the price at $3k and swap the 1/4″ TRS jacks for XLR.

• damn bad beat. i just bought this thing on ebay last week.

• As Steve Jobs said, “If you don’t cannibalize yourself, someone else will” and this price drop gives BMD a major push vs. new models that are coming down the pike from the major manufacturers. ML 5D MK III is really not an issue for any of the big players.

• question:

would it be possible to have a top handle with a screen and xlr jacks connected via thunderbolt on the bmcc? kinda like the handle on the c100?

• I have Bmcc 4k in preorder but i think now to swap to 2,5k MFT, respect to Black Magic!

• this changes shit forever.
    awesome

• What I want to know is how Zacuto can charge almost half of what the BMCC now costs for their foldable DSLR rig. And how can Black magic make a camera with all thats involved in making a camera for only twice the cost of the foldable DSLR rig by Zacuto

• zacuto refuse to make reasonable prices for years, obviously there are enough people willing to pay those.

• I’m guessing they charge based on patents and brand, in spite of the actual value or production cost. Kinda like what happens with expensive brands of clothing.

• I’ve never understood how Zacuto could charge so much for their products. It’s absolutely mind boggling that a bunch of simple parts put together cost up to half of the cost of a camera these days. I guess people just like having that red colored rig and brand name on display.

This price is a significant drop in the ocean of camera gear though. It has me questioning whether or not to follow on with the current fs700 upgrade path which is currently going over the $4000 mark for the convergent design solution. But I guess once kitting out the BMCC with all the accessories it needs to get up and running, it’s not far off the same sort of price. Plus fs700 gets 4k compressed in the deal too. To be honest I’m just amazed and humbled to even have all these choices at my fingertips! It’s a great time to be a film maker!

• chaotic…but you gotta love them.. :)

• I too got the email from Grant Petty. I just got a 5D Mark III yesterday for a specific need for my shooting which the BMCC cannot cover. When they get rid of the moire issue, I can get a BMC camera.

The 1995 usd price should help in selling this camera more. Happy to have a disruptive product/pricing.

• here >>> BLACK MAGIC killing softly RED dreams”

• Red dreams=Dragon

Everyone will have the BMC look, RED users will value the RED look that much more.

• It is time Panasonic releases raw video codec for the GH3!!!

• Amazing! Just ordered mine :) Shame that in the UK we get screwed on VAT though!

• I’ve been debating between the 5D MKIII and the BMCC 2.5k for a little while now… $1200 less has settled it for me!

• +1

Ordered mine too :) Shame about having to be screwed with VAT just for being in the UK though… Still about £650 cheaper though so winning :)

• Shame indeed. But hey, you could have bought before today and really been pooched! I was, quite literally, a second away from confirming my order two days ago… Not that I couldn’t simply cancel the order, but you could appreciate the situation.

• Not true. I ordered my BMCC last week and B&H refunded the difference today after I called in. They will adjust price on anything bought within 30 days.

• Boom. Swell guys

• Is this true. Rather than send the item back, I can call B and H tomorrow and they will adjust the price? I ordered this on the night of the 30th, it shipped on 31st and it wont arrive until Tuesday August 6th.

• I’ll wait, once the 4k is out, it’ll drop more :)

• or it will be discontinued…

• Not likely. It’s already ridiculously low for what it does. If they drop it much, if any lower, they’ll be hurting the sales of the pocket camera.

• I’m glad I cancelled my order for the 2.5K last year and went with a BT Scarlet. I know prices go down but at this speed I would not have been happy. That said, I like what BM is doing overall and wish them success with their cameras, hardware and great software. Maybe I’ll grab v.2 of the BMCC.

• Between the info in this article and this link, this has been one of my favorite posts. Great times for camera nerds!

Great article Joe and great link, Patrick.

• Just purchased a Blackmagic Cinema Camera! I could not resist the great deal on this camera. For those thinking about purchasing BCC I’d recommend purchasing it through Ebay-Adorama Store because you get 2% back rewards from ebay + 1% of those credit cards that give rewards. I’d suggest buying the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera with Switronix Battery and Charger because you will need the battery if you are considering to shoot without being plug in on an outlet most of the time. You get $100 off purchasing it as a bundle. Hope this tip helps someone out there save some more money!

• Chris Lambert on 08.2.13 @ 3:17PM

I purchased a hdv-z96 led toplight off ebay and saw a sony battery to dc adapter on there for $15ish dollars could resist snapping it up should do the trick.

also my iphone battery by Anker has a DC out with i believe 12.5/15v so there are ways of powering this thing very cheaply should you need too.

• 5D MARK 3 MAGIC LANTERN (team) RAW HACKj thank you in so many ways.

The Mark 3 really had some people debating on which camera to get, both still even at the price drop has it advantages, especially considering media/storage costs, but the price drop just got BLACK MAGIC back in the loop in full circle.

Dont know what net profits they will be making on the 2.5k cameras ,but they just saved alot of face and bought alot of time until the pocket cameras with raw and 4k cameras come into full swing.

H3ll of a deal, now we can own more than a camera brain that shoots 2.5k 13stops with RESOLVE for for two RACKS(2K) Absolutely amazing for us indie folks.

• Sorry, but this is not fair to existing costumer. I just got the MFT 1,5 month ago – one of the first ones. I had my backorder since NAB 1,5 years ago on the EF. How can a company drop the price of its product by a third just after its delivery. Again, this is not how you build a costumer relationship. Has something like this happened before?

• It happens in every production line. The main one that comes to mind? The iPhone.

• Some retailers will price protect for 30 or so days. I doubt this happens with BMD but, if you write them or your retailer, you might be able to purchase additional items at a steep discount.
      On the other hand, there’s very little “unfair” about it. An item was offered for sale at a certain price and these conditions were met by a buyer. As long as the product works as advertised, there’s no claim to be made.

• I do feel your pain and BMD could have handled this thing better, and I hope they offer some sort of compensation for the people who just received their cameras. But one problem in your 1.5 year waiting period is that you pre-ordered one camera, then you changed that pre-order to a newer camera so you also contributed to this waiting period yourself. Had you stayed with your original choice, you probably had been shooting more than half a year already and the camera had paid itself off many times.

• Literally everything ever sold in the history of time goes down in price after time. You always pay a premium to be an early adopter of a product.

• Graham Wilson on 08.2.13 @ 6:04PM

I haven’t seen this mentioned yet, but…is the price drop because it now frees up a space in the product lineup for an upgraded/updated version with some of the more professional features we’ve been waiting for? Removable battery? XLR with 48v? Better LCD screen? Adding $1000 back in to the price would solve almost all of these issues.

• The guy all the black magic footage comes from (gurley?), tweeted something the other day about BMD adding an active mount to the cinema camera that supported auto focus. So, I agree that the are going to have a line of cameras all priced about $1000 apart. Pocket, cinema v1, cinema v2, production.

• John Wilton on 08.2.13 @ 7:15PM

And here i was hoping they would raise the prices to filter all the wannabes from having this camera. -1

• Never understood why “pros” should frown when amateurs get good gear with their own hard earned money. It just baffles me :/

• It floods the market and lowers the pay on jobs. You still have have to know what you’re doing. Just because you have a good camera doesn’t mean you know how produce quality work. People who are secure about their work have nothing to worry about. Try telling a client, can we wait 2 hours to charge the battery and offload the footage from the drive?

• So work harder at selling your skill and experience instead of relying on an impressive camera. Hell, many DPs (especially well known ones) don’t even own cameras.

• agreed. I’m just pointing out the problem with the cost of tech dropping. Ironically, If this didn’t happen I wouldn’t have gotten in this business. I get tired of hearing about which camera is best, which is not suited for pro work, and what great movies I would make if I only had a good camera and now I have a chance. 127 hours was shot mostly on the 5D without magic lantern, far from unprofessional. Ive meet trust fund babies who own epics, and cant shoot worth a sh!t. But they still flood the market with their incompetence.

• The amateurs flood the wedding videography business and charging $800 a pop. Horrible editing, mic in the shot, annoying un-focus shots, bad composition, videographers on every shots especially the most important scenes, same day edit my ass, learn to edit and and compose a shot before you offer that shit. True story.

• So how do we filter out all the wannabes who had money to buy a bunch of equipment but don’t have any talent? Because I can attest to coming across plenty of them.

• John Wilton on 08.2.13 @ 10:59PM

Do what RED did and still does . Raising prices. Its like walmart and target syndrome. You charge a dollar more and it does filter out alot of people but you keep prices low, well you get everyone who thinks they deserve a certain camera. Ive seen soooo many people complain that they actually deserve to have this camera and when they cant get one, they complain even more. Then they jump on the Canon RAW bandwagon and now the same people ( alot of them here) jump on this bandwagon again. Its very amateur and just showed that flooding the market with whiners makes the real filmmaker look like a novelty. Yes, your work speaks for itself but no one is looking at work anymore, there looking at the cheapest thing they can get.

• That doesn’t do shit, there’ll be less wannabes and there will be less people with talent. I remember seeing people who spent $250,000 to buy an F35 who weren’t really serious. The fact is if you want to be taken seriously for your talent, you have to sell yourself based on your talent not your gear.

• John Wilton on 08.4.13 @ 2:32PM

Not anyone can scrounge up 250k to buy a camera, but everyone in the sun can buy something great for 2k now, and yes it will flood the market even more. It doesn’t take talent to make a movie or productions or even a good one for that matter. Show me a “talented” filmmaker who made a feature film and ill show you 5 “untalented” filmmakers that did the same. It just takes the know how and a crew who knows how. Making a great movie is subjective, not everyone will like your movie even if you know everything about filmmaking or have all the talent in the world, its if you can get the audience’s attention nowadays. Attention seeking is at an all time high, so guess what, now every bonehead who doesn’t have talent or technical skills can say . ” im a professional , i shoot RAW and have the camera to do it”, look up on youtube have a 12 year kid teach em how to shoot standard coverage and edit and boom!!, more lost jobs to mediocre filmmaking. 5 Years the online filmmaker will be a joke just like every band on myspace was, yea there will be a few who will make a few bucks, but the overexposure of the “filmmaker” will be as funny as the “Im in a band” guy nowadays.

• Daniel Christensen on 08.4.13 @ 6:51PM

You’re wrong. Giving everyone and their mother a great camera will simply saturate the market, and make moviegoing and indie film festivals have much greater appeal, and a wider range of content to choose from. And if you can get your hands on a quality camera, you can practice and make yourself that much better at the craft. So stop complaining. We all know you’re worried about your job, pal. Just cool it.

• John Wilton on 08.5.13 @ 9:39PM

Sorry, Daniel but everyone and their mother DOES have a camera, and at alarming rate are making more and more crap filmmaking. Just look at youtube and vimeo. They are becoming grave yards for you short films. Theres was a point in time when the market wasn’t saturated, when everyone and their mom didn’t have a camera. Am i worried about my job? No, i don’t make films for the internet. Theres no money in the internet on a broad scale for filmmakers, why?? cause the market is saturated. Think it’ll get better for the online community to make money? Nope. If you shoot for a hobby, then yes you will do good. Its better that way, but being online makes everyone have the illusion that everyone wants to see your film or hear your band, in reality they don’t, only your friends.

• I’m sorry, but I’m with John here…
            Take a look at Vimeo and Youtube… hell, take a look at what happened with the stills photography world. It’s pretty much dead. People are chasing MegaPixles and flood the net with cheap image tricks. It’s impossible to actually find something good and enjoy it.
            I’m an old school 35mm filmmaker. I just recently (3 months) bought a BMCC to have some fun and revive my old profession as a hobby, and the $1000 price drop just showed me Black Magic is not a company to trust. There is no reason (4K or not) that the price should drop 33%. This will be my last BM.
            It is one thing to try and interrupt an industry, and a whole different thing to build a good, steady and trustful customer base.

Hi BM, look at Leica, Apple, RED – all have customers who love being associated with the product they bought. I guess next time I should save a bit longer and treat myself with a RED.

• Mark Sutton on 09.27.13 @ 2:39AM

John Wilton said “It doesn’t take talent to make a movie or productions or even a good one for that

So your saying John out of all the movies ever made that not one envole people who where talented?

• Rachael Dakoda on 08.10.13 @ 1:41AM

Selective gene therapy will get rid of all of the wannabees in the video market.

Stupid? Silly? Dumb?
        Of course it is.

Everyone has the Right to own a camera and make a video movie.
        The public will buy the “crap” and/or go to the theatre to watch “crap”.

The quality of print and video has declined over the years because people do not want to pay for the pleasure of being entertained. They don’t know what it takes to do it and only want instant gratification. Some of them even own televisions to watch more crap.

Sell your art that you make to the audience that wants to buy it. I don’t work for any less than my own set day rate. Neither should you.

Buy/Rent the equipment you “need” to make a movie/promo/ad/? and charge for it.

I always ask a client if they feel that their product is worth the cost of a poor production. If they feel that their product has a value then what is it? What is your “value proposition”?

Stop complaining about something over which you have no control. If you don’t want to make wedding videos for $800 then don’t. Make them for the price you want………….clients will come to you.

Show and sell!

Regards,

Rachel

• This is the same argument that the music world had when the price of the instruments plummeted in the mid-50′s (the era of the Telecaster, the Stratocaster, Gibson Les Paul & SG + countless imitators, as well as thereto unseen amplifiers like Fender Bassman). The result of this democratization was the music dominant era of the 1960′s. Given the time lag and similar technical developments, this is the likely outcome of the advancements in the video technology. (Omni already made a 4K chip for smartphones).

• Anthony Marino on 08.2.13 @ 10:15PM

They should’ve made the MFT mount active (my Monday morning QB) But good news for some while others scream. My heart goes out to you but by no one should think the camera business is fair. It can’t be. I’m still anxious about the pocket camera, for the extra grand I loose the form factor and an active MfT mount. The 2nd version of the 4k should be interesting. It almost makes sense to drop it from their line up considering with some firmware tweaks I’m sure the 4k can give us exactly what the 2.5k cinema camera offered. I’m not saying the 2.5 camera is irrelevant, just realizing their other two cameras check all the boxes and more than the original did.

• active MFT may be in the offing later on … allegedly … according to hearsay (+ some other improvements, such as focus peaking and a new debayering processor)

• Anthony Marino on 08.3.13 @ 10:35AM

One question, where does this leave the Digital Bolex. Surprised no one has mentioned it here. Haha

• With the price drop, I’m thinking of buying one of these. Does any one know if any of the problems in the article below have been resolved?

• Shane Preston on 08.4.13 @ 11:12PM

Displaying Core Strengths

• I’m not looking to make money off film, only create beautiful HD imagery on a budget of around $3k (body)

I’ve considered the C100 (Dismissed early as too expensive)
    5D Mk2 & 3 (Won’t give in to DSLR’s rolling shutter restrictions)
    BMPCC (Cheap,TOO tempting, gorgeous Images, though superior to DSLR, still has Rolling Shutter and won’t handle a lot of use)
    BMCC (Rolling shutter, dropped frames, audio drift, hard to get wide shots nearly outweigh the beautiful images, though not perfect for the price range)

and the 4K BMCC (Just out of my league price-wise, though global shutter and S35 sensor with Pro Res are more appealing than the gimmick of RAW as I can’t afford the editing tech)

and it still seems despite it’s smaller sensor, it is building from the failures of the BMCC and may well create the best all rounder for ME;

D16 Digital Bolex. Global Shutter. 2k. RAW images on a sensor small enough that it’s not a big deal to play with. 12 bit 4:4:4. Internal 400GB Enterprise SSD. XLR input and audio metering. Plus, a multitude of lens mounts available. A little patience will hopefully pay off, though they should drop their price to at least $2750 to maximize profits.

• my guess is that gopro is going to release something this year that once again puts everyone in stalemate… these things will be like polaroid cameras soon.

• Does it still have issues with overheating? Some have stated the 2.5k camera (really only 1080p usable) can get uncomfortably hot, where they’re worried it might get damaged or eventually shut off.

A design change may be in order.

• kdyxaybahg EF & MFT 2.5K Blackmagic Cinema Cameras Just Got a Massive Price Drop « nofilmschool kdyxaybahg kdyxaybahg kdyxaybahg

• Magic Lantern is a Black Magic Killer and BM knows it!

• Love 50D have two of them but bought BMCC yesterday cos it is convinient in professional shoot outs,
    can preview shoots,shoot on larger SSD drives ,it offers professional tool that is quick to shoot out of box.
    Not to knock down ML I think t is amazing addition for hand held pick up shoot,anamorphic stuff.
    I think credit to both BMD and ML especially after current price drop,they gave us tool for very small amount of cash to make blockbusters.

Now that I have both including namorphic glass and fast SSD and CF cards will stop finally reading forums and dribbling and start making films and dont wanna know about new cameras for next 2 years…

• We agree Jacoby. We use a Magic Lantern and Canon 5DMIII. It is a serious opponent for BM.

• Scott Streep on 09.27.13 @ 1:51PM

John Wilton what did you mean by this?

“It doesn’t take talent to make a movie or productions or even a good one for that matter. Show me a “talented” filmmaker who made a feature film and ill show you 5 “untalented” filmmakers that did the same. It just takes the know how and a crew who knows how.”

I thought good movies heavily rely on talent to make them successful.

• Oh, dear. It was that time of the morning with the addition of my girlfriend talking in the back. Sorry “gave”!