We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

September 1, 2013

Can the EasyGimbal Stabilizer Give Your GoPro Projects a Steady Future?

Creatives involved in extreme action filmmaking are typically using GoPros in order to get those much desired POV and other seldom-seen shots. The drawback to using such a compact and lightweight camera, however, is stabilizing the shots you get, which means finding a stabilizer that will give you a really smooth image. Currently on Kickstarter, the EasyGimbal, designed exclusively for the GoPro 3, offers a lot in terms of affordability and style for being a 3-axis handheld camera stabilizer, but how steady can it keep your shots? Decide for yourself after the jump.

According to the developer Cordvision, EasyGimbal, originally crafted with plastic in a 3D printer, is small, lightweight, and ready right out of the box.

There are a few things that make the EasyGimbal different from other handheld brushless gimbal stabilizers made specifically for GoPros. First of all, the design is an interesting one. Most stabilizers boast about using high-grade metals that make the unit durable and long-lasting, but EasyGimbal went a different route.

Our design cannot be laser cut, but will need to be molded which is expensive. Molded parts can be real 3D objects which allows for complex shapes including cable channels. We decided that the optimal material for making the EasyGimbal would be a type of Polyurethane. It is very durable, lightweight, and allows for complex shapes to be produced. We have already test molded parts to ensure this process will satisfy our needs and prove feasibility. Also, we will be able to custom color the EasyGimbal by mixing the Polyurethane with a color dye. Besides the standard black, we will offer yellow, green, blue, and red.

And probably the most important difference is that the motors operate on 3 axes: pan, tilt, and roll, which, according to my eye, makes the image more stable. Other similar GoPro stabilizers I've come across use only 2 axes, forgoing a motor to cover panning, which allows for more instability along the z-axis. This means that you can be more mobile as you shoot -- you won't be limited to tracking bike/skateboard shots -- you can move around in 3D space.

EasyGimbal prt

The stabilizer runs on "standard rechargeable DSLR style batteries" that last about an hour if they're fully charged. Cordvision also explains that they use electronics that "compensate for the voltage drop as the battery gets depleted," which means that whether your battery is at 100% or lurching toward 0%, it will perform as if it were fully charged.

With the prototype ready, Cordvision is looking to go into production, and in order to get the manufacturing costs down they need to be able to mass produce the unit. Contributing $599 or more to their Kickstarter campaign gets you a preorder of the EasyGimbal -- relatively safe to say that this will be the price of one post-campaign, but that's just speculation. So, if you're interested or want more information, take a look at EasyGimbal's Kickstarter campaign.

What do you think about the EasyGimbal footage? How big of a difference (if any) do you think the 3rd axis makes on the image's stability? Let us know in the comments below.

Link: EasyGimbal Campaign -- Kickstarter

I'd be all over this if not for the fact that I already have a GoPro gimbal on the way for my quadcopter. I intend on handholding the entire quad, gimbal and everything for non-aerial shots. The price is good if it the production version works as good as the prototype. I paid $700 for mine and it's a 2-axis, the Easy Gimbal is a 3-axis. (Of course mine is a lot more compact and lightweight since it needs to fly).

Jorge

This is awesome. First steady cam system I have seen that actually works for the gopro. I'm investing for sure.

September 1, 2013

There is a steadicam for GoPro called "The Curve". It is a beautiful little invention that works great. But it doesn't work as good as this. This is a true breakthrough! I think even Garret Brown, inventor of the steadicam, could agree.

Gene

If it can fly the pocketcam they have a winner...

James

Looking forward to seeing more things like this in the near future! If you could put a slightly more substantial camera on this, like a bare bones Blackmagic Pocket Cam, I'd be sold. There's not a whole lot I can do (professionally) with a bunch of stable GoPro footage. However, I understand that it's a lot easier to design for ONE camera so it's easier for users. No balancing or tweaking needed.

Although this would be AWESOME for families and personal footage. Also, I could see this being a great solution if you wanted subjects/talent to film themselves in a documentary or event type of setting.

Glad stuff like this is taking off and I wish these guys all the best.

Ty

Ordered!

marklondon

Excellent! No doubt. Excellent! This has great promise for concerts and conferences. It is so small someone can walk across the entire front of a stage easily, going up and down over peoples heads to keep a clear shot of the stage! No walking around with a big camera on the shoulder having head after head in the shot. A Kickstarter project that is entirely useful! That footage on the long staircase was stunningly good!

Gene

I'm all for this but I'm wondering if anyone is going to point out that a new GoPro with a different body will probably come out in a few months, possibly even before these things ship. The customers who buy these are likely customers who would want the best GoPro available. Technology moves fast.

Jason

Jason.... You read my mind..... first thing I thought was different form factor on the next gopro. Maybe interchangeable body frames could be a solution, not just for gopros, but for more than 20 different POV cams out there.
Loved the staircase shot and the bike ride!

Cris Cazor

If it is different it will likely be smaller and lighter. That is the direction GoPro has always headed. So it may only need a sleeve wrapped around the camera to make it fit snugly until the next generation of this gimbal comes out.

Gene

I like it, but the camera is out of its protective casing.

Alan

Such a nice presentation too. Hopefully they're working on one for the BMPCC.

Anthony Marino

Looks really good but I plan on getting a black magic pocket cam eventually so it would have to work with that too.

Nice!!

September 2, 2013

every 2013 prosumer buzzword combined into one product

September 2, 2013

john jeffries

for some reason I think the Vertical movement is still a bit jumpy especially on the walking on the beach under the bridge footage (where the shooter was following the girl). Would like to see a sample footage where the shooter really jump up and down and run quickly before deciding

September 2, 2013

I saw that too. It was because of how he was carrying it. He still needs to carry it the same as people that use a steadicam are taught to carry a steadicam. The man using it in the video needs to take the one day class on how to correctly carry a steadicam. It applies to carrying this gimbal too. There is no gimbal or steadicam that can compensate for the up and down motion the human body takes as it walks. The hand has to be consciously held, best as one can, in a place that is level, parallel, to the ground, and not stiff with the natural up and down flow of movement that the human body makes as one is walking.

September 2, 2013

Gene

I was expecting that too. Just wanna double check. Thank you for the confirmation

September 2, 2013

Since a gimbal can only really compensate for rotation, you can not really fault it for vibration caused by unsteady position. That's also why we still have steady-cam rigs that will compensate somewhat for the stepping of the user.

They work great for aerials because copters don't really jump around for every yard traveled. They mainly wobble, exactly what gimbals are so great at removing.

September 2, 2013

It's predecessor - The StabilGo - was cancelled due to failing to meet the funding goal of $100,000: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1969395374/stabilgo-ready-steady-go

Either they set the bar too high, or the industry wants stabilizers for better cameras than GoPros.

September 3, 2013

Finally ,at last ! Now there will be millions of feet/Gigs of of Stabilized Video no one will watch. But it sure will be fun taking it.

September 5, 2013

Dheep'

Seriously?!? 600 freakin dollars for a gopro gimbal thingy?!?

September 6, 2013

Jordan Arabejo

Since the main appeal of GoPro cameras is that they are water and shock proof, taking one out of its housing in order to put it on something that looks to be reasonably fragile itself doesn't strike me as being particularly useful, at least not for what I, and I suspect the majority of GoPro users, would actually want to use it for.

September 10, 2013

Rhiannon

I've built something similar, except it's not on kick starter and I can custom build if there's enough interest: http://www.bluesunsoftware.com.au/handheld-stabilisation-part-6-the-3-ax...

November 16, 2013