January 23, 2014

The Sundance Institute Short Film Challenge Wants to Change the World Through Your Film

Sundance headerIf you're a filmmaker who wants your films to help change the world and the lives of those in it, you may be interested in submitting your shorts into the first ever Sundance Institute Short Film Challenge. The Sundance Institute, in partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, are looking for "an optimistic story about individuals and communities who are overcoming poverty and hunger, combatting disease, or improving health." If you're interested, continue on for submission and reward details.

The purpose of the SISFC is to not only start a conversation about how poverty and hunger affects people all around the world, but to also inspire empathy in those who experience the films. According to the film challenge's Tongal page, here's your goal as a participating filmmaker:

Create a unique, compelling and personal Short Film (fiction or documentary) that explores an empowering person or shares an optimistic story of individuals and communities who are overcoming poverty and hunger, combatting disease, or improving health. Your Short Film can be imaginative, unorthodox, daring or simple -- the style and structure are completely up to you but you must touch on economic inequalities.

To get an idea of what the Sundance Institute is looking for, check out the SISFC Sizzle Reel below:

The five chosen films will premiere at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival, and each winner will receive a $10,000 prize, as well as an all-expenses paid trip to Sundance as the Special Guest of the Sundance Institute and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

The SISFC is asking for submissions from filmmakers all over the world, but read the official rules to make sure that you are indeed eligible. It's up to you whether your film is narrative or non-narrative, but keep it within 3 to 8 minutes in length. Check out the SISFC requirements to be certain that your film adheres to them. There's no submission fee -- and you can submit up to 5 projects, but you've got to get them in by July 1, 2014!

Will you be submitting your short film to the Sundance Institute Short Film Challenge? Let us know in the comments!

Links:

[via Deadline]

This is a great opportunity for all the aspiring filmmakers around the globe. Thanks and I will surely participate.

January 23, 2014

Kaminda

From the official rules of the contest, Section 1 - Eligibility: Projects are not open to residents of Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, Northern Ireland, and Quebec, or to other individuals restricted by U.S. export controls and sanctions...

January 24, 2014

FU Tongal

Why is Northern Ireland and Quebec on the list of banned locations?

January 24, 2014

Sloaah

"Create a unique, compelling and personal Short Film (fiction or documentary) that explores an empowering person or shares an optimistic story of individuals and communities who are overcoming poverty and hunger, combatting disease, or improving health. Your Short Film can be imaginative, unorthodox, daring or simple — the style and structure are completely up to you but you must touch on economic inequalities." ---
Those overcoming adversity that are from Cuba, Northern Ireland, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Sudan and... QUEBEC?? --- need not apply. Your struggles are not valid and make for bummer content. The people from these places especially should be able to share these experiences.
I plan to Boycot.

January 30, 2014

Babylon Slim

The good thing about this is that it is global, one can submit for free. I will share this news with my audience so that we Africans can participate in this. Who knows who will win, and we have a better understanding of poverty.

January 24, 2014

In the rules, it states: 'By submitting an entry, you grant and convey to Tongal all right, title, and interest in and to your entry and acknowledge and agree that Tongal shall have all ownership rights relating to such entry; provided that, in the event your entry is not selected as winner of the Story Phase or a winner in the Short Film Phase, then all rights in and to such entry shall automatically reconvey to you.'

So pretty much they own your film if you are accepted. But then again, it's a great opportunity and you get 10 grand...

January 26, 2014

Trevor

This is a big chance for me to find a help for the desperate people of my country, Myanmar. My problem is that I am away from my country, but hoping to return about that time of last submission date or if things were on my side, a little earlier. Even if it was not me, I hope my country's film enthusiasts find this opportunity to make a difference. I have visited Myanmar for two months before the end of last year and I found the situation of general public and especially poor children were appalling and heart wrenching. We have many stories to tell the world. Thank you Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and The Sundance Institute. I hope world's suffering people get helps from this initiative.

January 30, 2014

Nyunt Shwe

I am in.
Wow this is that oppotunity i need to express the story telling in me.
Thanks for this oppotunity.
i will make about 3 submissions.

January 31, 2014

OLADEJI ANDREW ...

It's indeed a great opportunity without border barriers. A right platform for all and sundry. Thanks to Bill & Melinda.

January 31, 2014

Emeka Anozie

Yep. It looks something I'd give a shot. The last time I attempted anything Sundance was in 2009, when I submitted my first feature film. Looks like it's time once again, albeit a short :-)

January 31, 2014

Quote: "Projects are not open to residents of Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, Northern Ireland, and Quebec, or to other individuals restricted by U.S. export controls and sanctions, and is void in any other nation, state, or province where prohibited or restricted by U.S. or local law."
Looks like Sundance is dancing to wrong music...

February 3, 2014

I will try my best to participate in this event...

February 4, 2014

Abdiwahid Abdikadir

Wow ! this is a great opportunity i ever have ! I will surely participate and hopefully my stories will contribute in changing the world ! Thanks to Sundance Institute and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation .

May 17, 2014