March 11, 2014

Indie-Friendly Direct Distribution Platform VHX Now Open to Everyone

VHX has a pretty simple mission: to allow users the ability to sell their content directly to their audience through their online distribution platform. It has spent the last two years in private beta testing, working with the likes of Kevin Spacey, Ira Glass, and Aziz Ansari, and distributing films like Upstream Color and Oscar-nominated The Act of KillingWell, VHX made the announcement yesterday that they are finally out of beta and ready to offer their services to the public at a price they've lowered to commemorate the launch. To find out more about this direct-to-fan distribution platform, continue on.

Indiewire caught up with VHX co-founder Jamie Wilkinson at SXSW, and there, Wilkinson explained that their goal at VHX is, "to make it super easy for anybody to sell video content on the web directly to their fans." In case you've missed our previous posts about the platform, what VHX does is helps users distribute their content directly to their audience all from the comfort of their own websites. Here's a video that explains things better:

For the past couple of years leading up to the official launch, VHX has been working on building their platform, making connections with high-profile creatives, and amassing titles (over 350 now) to sell. Now that VHX is open to the public and free to sign up and use, they've lowered the cost of transactions from a 15-20% charge to %10 + $0.50 per transaction. And though independent filmmakers will definitely benefit from this setup, VHX isn't limited to just them -- they work with content creators of all sorts, studios, even other distributors. From their announcement:

Anything that used to be sold on DVD can be sold on VHX. Our platform works for a lot more than just film and TV. Faith, fitness, lifestyle, education -- the list goes on. VHX also works for organizations both big and small: individuals, distributors, studios, networks, and more. Make a site to sell your work, distribute your project, and own the relationship with your audience. VHX is the technology platform that lets you run your own iTunes or Netflix. Your digital copies replace the old physical, anywhere in the world.

Though there are similar distribution options out there, filmmakers can be excited that VHX offers many different tools that help put your film in front of people's faces, from growing your audience with the VHX built-in mailing list to facilitating coupon codes and other incentives. Not only that, but there are no upfront costs, rich analytics for you to track your film's progress, and many important industry connections and partners. What all of these options and features do is give you, the filmmaker, more latitude and control over the distribution of your film -- or at least a more hands-on approach. Wilkinson says:

Filmmakers at Sundance are used to the model of the last 35 years which is I make a great film. I sell it to somebody else and they do all the legwork. That's where we're embracing the shift in the model where you can do it yourself.

If you're wanting to get your film to its audience, there are a lot of options out there for you. Check out our direct distribution roundup to find out more about what's available, as well as which might be right for you.

I know it's still early, but have any of you used VHX -- possibly when it was in beta? What do you think of it? What are you looking for in a distribution platform? Let us know in the comments.

Links:

How ironic for them to spread the word using Vimeo.

March 11, 2014 at 5:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Paul

I wonder if they're just trying to leverage themselves into a buyout from Vimeo?

March 11, 2014 at 6:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Swissted

Isn't it true that Reelhouse only charges 6 percent? I'm having a hard time deciding on a platform because it's too early to tell which companies will fold and who will become the standard.

March 11, 2014 at 5:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

josh

Am I the only one who thinks VHX is nearly pointless if I can't watch them seamlessly on my HDTV via something like Roku or Chromecast?

March 11, 2014 at 6:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

earnestreply

Wonderful features and I like the video bundle - so far I have yet to see a company offer the same features. The only problem is there is no direct way to add multiple films, to delete those films, and the first time trying to design the page failed to even work. Just from the quick sign up I did, they should stay in beta to fix these kinks.

March 11, 2014 at 7:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I've been playing around with it during the beta and found it really great, especially since you can directly manipulate all the code allowing for extremely custom pages. I found the standard templates to be pretty basic so the customization option is greatly appreciated. We are planning on using it for our film although I hope they add a market place soon so people can discover content as well.

March 11, 2014 at 8:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Didn't the video just speak about old out dated methods of restriction and how VHX doesn't do this? How come then when i click on the link of upstream colour it says that it's unavailable in my region? Nothing changes just the sales tactics do!

March 11, 2014 at 8:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve

Hi Steve,

We're with you on geo-blocking. Since we aren't taking any rights, unfortunately we aren't in control of where titles can or can't be sold. We actively try to encourage publishers to sell their work worldwide whenever possible and are building new features to make this easier.

Best,
Adam Klaff
VHX

March 12, 2014 at 11:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

s a negative side to the availability of digital content, and that.
Mostly a history of business was able to control various inventions and technologies.
Now, movies aren't the only thing that piracy trackers allow links too.

March 12, 2014 at 1:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

just poop plain and simple smelly lump poop........ Vimeo on demand here I come!

March 13, 2014 at 10:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I agree VHX is like soft stool vimeo on demand is like like my Pepto.

March 13, 2014 at 10:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

From the guys who brought you Star Wars Uncut........................ Bring you something you don't need

March 13, 2014 at 10:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I went on a interview a while back for this company, I just remember it being unorganized chaos, and I thought to myself holy hell I would never give my money to this company! I didn't get it obviously and that prob was a good thing!

March 13, 2014 at 10:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

More like sharts in the wind son,,,,,

March 13, 2014 at 10:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Agreed

March 13, 2014 at 10:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

An article on a different VOD company with some financials thrown in -

March 13, 2014 at 4:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

I explored VHX and some others, but had to make a decision very quickly. I went with Gumroad. There were a few kinks getting it up and running and one aspect didn't work for me (because of my website platform), but it's up and working now. It's only been a couple of days and there's no way of knowing if Gumroad will work better than VHX, but so far so good. Gumroad was cheaper and I liked the fact that I could bundle physical product with digital product. That meant I didn't have to go out and find a shopping cart for my physical product. If you want to see what Gumroad looks like, you can check out my website: http://www.ThePigPicture.com

March 14, 2014 at 5:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM