April 7, 2014

Blackmagic URSA 4K Camera: Interchangeable Sensors, Flip Out 10-Inch Screen for $6K

blackmagic-ursa smallBlackmagic has done it again, introducing a product the industry has yet to see. The new Blackmagic 4K URSA camera is something else entirely, featuring a 4K Super 35mm global shutter sensor, real camera form factor, a built-in 10.1" 1920 x 1200 fold out display, and two 5” 800 x 480 displays. Not only that, but it has both interchangeable lenses and sensors, meaning you'll be able to upgrade to a better sensor at home removing a few screws when a better one is available.

Here are the specs:

• 21.12mm x 11.88mm -- Super 35mm Global Shutter 4K CMOS Sensor (Probably the same as current Blackmagic Production Camera 4K)
  • Interchangeable Lens Block
  • 3840 x 2160 -- 24/25/60fps
  • 1920 x 1080 -- 24/25/30/50/60fps
  • ProRes HQ and Lossless Compressed RAW
  • 12 Stops Dynamic Range
  • EF/PL/B4/ or No Mount
  • Two CFast 2.0 Slots for Media Recording
  • 1 x 10.1” 1920 x 1200 Fold Out Non-Touch Screen
  • 2 x 5” 800 x 480 Touch Screens
  • SDI Video Output: 1 x 12G-SDI 10-bit 4:2:2. 1 x 3G-SDI down converted for external monitoring
  • SDI Video Input: 1 x 12G-SDI
  • Ref Input: 1 x Reference Input
  • Timecode In/Out
  • 2 XLR Inputs
  • 2 SDI Audio Out
  • Headphone Jack
  • 1 x 2.5mm LANC for Rec Start/Stop, Iris Control and Focus.
  • Power: 12V 4-pin XLR In/Out (Can take battery plates for Gold Mount and V Mount)
  • Availability: July?
  • Price: $6,000 for EF, $6,500 for PL

Here are the four options they are offering, with the Broadcast having a totally different sensor, and the HDMI-only model which has no sensor and is basically used as a recorder:

Blackmagic URSA 4K Cameras

Here is the HDMI-only camera being used as a recorder:

Mounting options:

The price is simply out of this world for what is being offered, just as it has been for their other products. Interchangeable sensors and lenses is really what we needed in this industry, as things are moving way too fast to keep up. The form factor is also much better for a production environment, and it's going to fit in better without tons of support gear.

The only question now would be whether it can be delivered on-time for July. We'll have more from Blackmagic at their NAB booth.

Link: Blackmagic URSA 4K Camera

Holy f***ing shit! This is epic!

Dominik Belancic

OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAYE

Audio meters!!!

Michael Hawk

Finally!

Dominik Belancic

No... not finally! You can say that when they actually release it, which probably won't be until 2015.

jorge

Gene

I'm shipping back my unopened BMPC. Does anyone know when pre-orders will open up?

Claw

Canon apologists what are your defense now for the c100?

Edry

C200 and C400 are rumoured. Will be interesting to see what happens anyway.

Saied

when will they though, after everyone else moves to a different system?

Edry

While I'm hardly an apologist, and the URSA is an amazeballs camera with a looong wish list of features, if you’re a documentarian/run-n-gunner/one-man-band (DRO) there are several reasons why the C100 (or maybe, hopefully?, C200) would still be a better choice:

NO BUILT-IN ND FILTERS (except on the broadcast version). Unless BM is coming out with a Holy Manta-style filter system (and please Odin, from my fingers to Grant Petty’s ears), when time is short – and when isn’t it – being able to add some ND at the flick of a switch is huge.

BATTERY LIFE AND COST. Three touch screens means big power draws. I’m sure the external battery options will outlast the BMCC's built-in battery, but there’s no way they’ll equal the all-day shooting the C100 features. And cost-wise, the C100 is, again, the clear winner.

RECORDING MEDIA. At least initially, Cfast 2.0 is unlikely to be as cheap as SD cards (or even SSDs if you opt for a Ninja Blade).

STEALTH MODE. Three touch screens means you’re going to light up like Times Square at night. And if you need to “borrow” a location, or keep a camera shy subject calm, I doubt this bad boy is going to help keep you on the down low.

WEIGHT. 16.53 pounds, bitches! (Are we still doing Aaron Paul memes?) Holy crap! And that’s without lens, battery, and shoulder mount. … Holy crap!

SLIDERS. See above. (Re: Holy crap!)

POINTS OF FAILURE. The C100 is hardly a masterpiece of hermetically sealed-ness, but there’s an awful lot of bells and whistles on the URSA (lovely, lovely bells and whistles). As the literature itself states, “Blackmagic URSA is designed to be used on high end feature films … with a large crew.”

Don’t get me wrong. I’m feelin’ the envy and the wanting, but as much as a jaw dropper as this is, I am more the DRO type, and could still see myself going the C100 route.

Robert

Forgot one!

LOW-LIGHT SENSITIVITY. If the URSA is in line with the rest of BMs camera, you're going to need much more light, comparatively.

Robert

while agree on those things you pointed out..whether you believe it or not you are kind of being a canon apologist specially when you talk about features this camera doesn’t have because oh boy when it comes to missing features lets not even get me started with the c100.. so.. yeah. One thing I saw you fail to mention though is the prices. Look at the price at this camera and compare it to the c100.. are serious man?. I rest my case.

Edry

I am not a Canon fan boy. In fact, I kind of despise Canon. With that said, at least with Canon you are getting a reliable product. While BMD cameras are cheap, price is hardly a consideration when the camera does NOT work right. The current 4K BMC is not useable in a real production since it has very serious and well documented sensor problems and it's a gamble whether it's going to work right.

Unless you are doing free gigs / art projects with your camera, when you get your footage back and it has vertical banding, black hole suns and fields of white pixels in the image which we have run into on my friend's 4K BMC; tell the producer that "Hey, at least the camera only costed $5K," and see what kind of reaction you get.

Price is not everything, especially when you are doing paid gigs where reliability is the #1 consideration and FAR out-weighs the low sticker price appeal.

If BMD can get their act together and make a reliable camera released on time, then they have something. If not, it's just the same old BMD.

Gene Sung (non-...

I see what you're saying and I agree with you, at the same time you really can't deny canons is BS us with their features and prices. A 5d can shoot raw now why can't the c100 not even shoot 60fps? They just care 99% on the money protecting their other cameras and not the user. That's why I'm so disappointed with canon. Their cameras can do much more and they are just messing with us.

April 8, 2014

Edry

I'm in agreement!

Lloyd

I predict that current sensor lineup for this camera is the first gen sensors in their other cameras. Since they already have the sensor calibrations and color science down, it's really just the body that needs to be built. I wouldn't be surprised if they can hit their target release date (or within a couple of months).

April 7, 2014

I would hardly say they have their sensors "down"... That's what has kept my BMPC4k sitting in my cart since the beginning of this year. TERRIBLE banding issues and random speckles.

Jordan Oliver

Availability: July?

LOL

Brian

Ben

+ 10000000

Ska

Which year?

Jason Baker

July 2015!

jorge

Once again, Blackmagic steals the show. No one expected it in '12, no one expected it AGAIN last year. But this, this changes the game. This is literally everything anyone could want in a camera.

Daniel Christensen

Hell yea! AJA vs Blackmagic.

Except dynamic range...

Kenneth

Everything except ND filters. And HFR...

Myles

It does 60P

Daniel

Does Canon come with 60fps from factory? Earth to Canon.

Gene

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It's going to take some footage to really know for sure.

Masaan

People need to stop saying "Game Changer", "Changing the Game", etc. etc.
It's overused and annoying.

Great looking camera though!

Phraseking

Yes, I hate the phrase! Every time I hear it, I think of that Kim Pine gif where she blows her brains out.

Daniel Mimura

I'm impressed how BM kept this thing a secret for as long they did.

Anthony Marino

Gene

It's over

BOOM! Mind blown...WOW

...But what's it like in low light?

It look like its got the same sensor that's in their highly flawed BMPC 4K...hmmm

Fixed Pattern Noise?....yes?...No?

Lets see some footage please.

Alex

Completely agreed - that's the only catch right there - the sensor is an issue.

April 7, 2014

They never did say which July....

Chris Lambert

ahah touche

Francisco

Massive audio meters, actually built into the housing. You don't need those on a blackmagic camera surely. ;)

Neill

finally! blackmagic kicking asses! excited to see what canon, sony and all the others will hold against this :)

cody

Wait a minute... Are those audio meters? HOLY MONKEY! finally. No yeah, yeah, I like them right.

edgar

BlackMagic knew what everyone wanted all along---jus playing possum till now.

Gene

Just a same note I posted to AJA thread , this is current AJA camera sensor:

"4K APS-C sized, 22.5mm x 11.9mm"

So, current AJA (protype) uses same sensor as BM cameras...

BUT as we can see from above news BM is giving true Super35 sensor size...

Juhan-i

What about the Cfast cards. How much do they cost?

Felix

$1200

Joe

Yeah, Jesus....it'll end up being $10k before you have enough memory to shoot for a day.

Pat

$10,000.00 for all this just a few years ago was a laughable fantasy.

Gene

I need to know about the battery on this thing. Can the batteries be switched out? That's been my main issue with the BMCC so far.

Charlie P.

I don't think it comes with a battery. Has a mount on the back so you can put an AB or V mount plate there.

Pages