July 31, 2014

Find the Right Music for Your Film Right on Your iPhone with The Music Bed's New App

The Music bedIf you've ever made a movie before, you most likely understand how frustrating it can be finding the right music for your project that is not only affordable, but good. That's what makes The Music Bed so promising. It's a platform designed to be mutually beneficial for indie filmmakers and indie musicians, where the licenses are reasonably priced, the music is good, and navigating through it all is surprisingly uncomplicated. Now, The Music Bed is making finding the right song a whole lot easier by releasing their free mobile iOS app that makes their entire music library accessible right on your iPhone or iPad.

About four months ago, The Music Bed did a complete overhaul of their site to make searching for music easier and more intuitive. Their team went through their entire catalog, retagged the music, and gave their users the option to not only search for multiple tags, but for "characteristics". So, if you're looking for a post rock song (what young filmmaker isn't?) that is also "dark" and kind of "groovy", you can search for songs within TMB's database that contains all of those tags to see what comes up. (For more info on the changes made in TMB 5.0, check out our write-up on it here.)

This new search capability, as well as nearly everything else TMB has to offer, can be found on their new mobile app, including the pre-made playlists. The only thing you can't do within the app is license a song, though you can add songs to your wishlist, so you can make purchases once you're back on the main website. As far as compatibility goes, the app is designed for the iPhone (optimized for the iPhone 5), iPad, and iPod touch, and requires iOS 7.0 or later.

Check out these screenshots of what the app looks like (and I must say, it has one of the slickest log in pages I've seen in a while).

TMB 1

TMB 2

TMB 3

Be sure to head on over to The Music Bed's website to learn more about their services, and if you're already a member, download their brand new app from the iTunes Store. It's free!

Links:

Coolio. Now if they just make their prices reasonable maybe people will actually start using their music.

July 31, 2014 at 2:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

AJ

I agree!! at least now we have mobile inspiration before we shoot something or while we are shooting so we know how the final product might look.

July 31, 2014 at 2:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dante

1. Their prices are reasonable. Quality music costs money. It always has. Just because Premium Beat and Audio Network offer mediocre music for cheap doesn't mean that quality music sources do. I don't love dropping $200-$500 for a song, but if it is exactly what it needs, it's worth it. I work it into every client budget that can afford it. And the ones that don't get lesser music, and they understand that.

2. People ARE using their music. I hear their music all the time in professionally produced videos. Started even hearing songs I've used in other videos, too.

July 31, 2014 at 3:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oh hey, leave Premium Beat alone. I used to use the Music Bed and still visit now and again but I find more " corporate friendly " music in Premium Beat. I also like how they organise and display the music and the variations of time.

You dont have to step on good peoples heads to make your point :) Whatever works for the job is all that matters.

I have personally been in a few scenarios where the client budget or requirement would not permit me to purchase music from Music Bed so in some way I can relate to the original poster.

August 1, 2014 at 8:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Don't misunderstand—I've used both Premium Beat and Audio Network. My point was you get what you pay for. Folks just get used to Premium Beat, where you can plop down 60 bucks and have music in multiple videos and it's totally legal, and expect the same kind of wide licensing and cheap prices from everyone. It's just not realistic.

My day job is corporate video. I totally understand and agree with what you're saying. Just saying The Music Bed is far from overpriced.

August 1, 2014 at 8:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Considering how they're one of the most popular music licensing companies out there, I'd say people are actually using their music. I use them all the time. For weddings, paying $50 is nothing to be able to have high quality music that I'm using legally.

July 31, 2014 at 3:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anyone who thinks that $49-$599 for a music license is too much is obviously at the earlier stages of their career. Don't worry you will one day appreciate those same prices when you are working on projects with reasonable budgets.

August 1, 2014 at 12:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

PayDro

TMB is awesome! Sure, they're a bit expensive, but it's totally justifiable IMO. Great music and it's for a great cause (supporting musicians and getting their awesome music out in the world and getting paid)! Can't afford their services as of now, but I will in the future, hopefully.

July 31, 2014 at 2:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Olof

This is excellent news, but where is the Android support? I'd even settle for a confirmation or acknowledgement that they intend on releasing an Android app.

July 31, 2014 at 3:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Great idea. I downloaded the App but the wish list and search function don't bring up any results. Very buggy.

Oh yeah, and it's too expensive for most.

July 31, 2014 at 7:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tone13

July 31, 2014 at 9:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

MovieBuff

haha nice one! ;)

August 1, 2014 at 8:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hey Arvin - here is your acknowledgement ;)

We are definitely hopeful of releasing Android. We're working on doing some overhaul on the front end to be mobile responsive as well. Thanks for the patience!

July 31, 2014 at 11:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Thanks Daniel. I know each OS is an effort in itself so it's great to hear Android is in the pipeline. Looking forward to finding film music on the go!

August 1, 2014 at 2:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

try minecraft no download

August 12, 2014 at 9:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

If the moving affordability is tight, MR can help you locate the best deal in a matter of hours.
Hostgator claims that it uses shared and reseller servers which
are 130% powered by wind and it has certified renewable energy
credits needed for generating efficient and reliable dedicated servers.
After concluding your research you will get experienced, secure, reliable, economical and quality moving
service providers, if a Packers Movers full fill
your relocation needs and preferences you can hire it for your shifting.

August 13, 2014 at 7:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

At the recent TRIC Awards in London, model and reality TV star Amy Childs showed off her stunning figure in a white and red bodycon dress
and red heels. Another thing to think about are the flowers the bridesmaids will wear.
Many people are interested in knowing these and thus, if one is looking to start a fashion website, all they have to do is
to include this aspect to their portal along with pictures as well.

August 22, 2014 at 11:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM