August 27, 2014

New Canon EF to MFT Metabones Speed Booster Makes a Super 35 Camera Out of the GH4

Metabones has already provided shooters with a variety of Speed Boosters -- lens adapters that optically counteract crop factor, increase light transmission, and in many cases even maintain smart lens control. Now, Metabones has announced a new addition to the Speed Booster line: a Canon EF to Micro 4/3 mount model that will effectively allow the Panasonic GH4 (and other Micro 4/3 cameras) to have the field of view of a Super 35mm camera and also increase your lens' maximum exposure one stop. Metabones is also going to offer an equivalent adapter without the expensive optics just to control Canon lenses on your MFT cameras.

Previous Speed Boosters have effectively turned the 2.5K Blackmagic into a Super 35mm FOV camera, and brought similar benefits to the Blackmagic Pocket. Reid mentions that the Panasonic GH4 has a 2x crop in 1080p, but is actually an even tighter 2.3x crop when shooting 4K. After the new EF-to-MFT Speed Booster's 0.71x widening factor, the crop shooting 4K on the GH4 becomes 1.7-1.8x -- much closer to the crop on a standard APS-C or Super 35mm sensor, and when you're shooting 1080p, it's a 1.5x crop as compared to full-frame.

Here are some short pieces test driving the GH4 with variations of Speed Boosters -- the first by Andrew Reid:

Since the Nikon Speed Booster to MFT is essentially the same optics as the Canon model, there is plenty of footage out there already like this that can give you an idea of what you can expect (this is from Kristoffer Davidsson):

At $600 for the new EF-to-MFT, this may be a desirable accessory for many owners of the GH4 looking to expand the scope, sensitivity, and lens options available to their cameras (though be sure to check their list of compatible lenses, as not all lenses can work with this adapter). If you're one such shooter or just plain curious, be sure to check out the links below for more details. Both the Speed Booster and Smart Adapter are also compatible with the previous incarnations in the GH line, as well as the BMCC, BMPCC, and Digital Bolex D16.

Links:

[via EOSHD & Wide Open Camera]

Good job Metabones. I kinda miss my lens stabilisation on my nikons using the BMCC speedbooster, but then again...my BMCC doesn't even have an active mount ;)

August 27, 2014

Will this work with the sigma 30mm 1.4?

Cheers

anonymous

All EF (but not EF-S) mounts should work, although there may be "some" problems with the auto focus consistency from lens to lens. That could be due to the lens compatibility problem too, as you have to try to match three different - Canon, any 3rd party and MFT - software programs.

DLD

Hey,

The sigma 30mm 1.4 is EF-S, but I read somewhere that it might work because it is third party? I will just have to wait on tests/results. Otherwise I can better buy the nikon one that does support the Sigma 30mm.

Cheers

anonymous

All 3rd party lenses are EF mount, even if they only cover APSC. Canon has not licensed out the design for EF-S mount lenses. So yes it will work for sure :)

kevin

Aah thanks, did not know that!!

anonymous

Is there somewhere that I can find more info about 3rd party APS-C lens being EF mount? I want to use a Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC and a Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 with the Metabone Speedbooster on a GH4.

September 14, 2014

Thank you so much!!! I have been looking for this answer for weeks on the Internet.

September 17, 2014

There will be no autofocus inconsistency as autofocus is not supported. See http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-m43-BM1

August 30, 2014

Dan

I wish they would release a EF to MFT witht the optics but not the electronic controls since I plan on buying a set of Samyang cine lenses that are all manual control anyway.

Matt

Since the smart adapter (no optics) will be priced around 400$, I guess a no-electronics version would cost 500$, and the Speedbooster with electronics is 600$. Would you really be ready to lose IS features for 100$?

JP Belanger

Then just buy the Samyangs with a Nikon mount and save 200 bucks. Canon lenses need power to change aperture so pretty sure this is the only version you're getting for EF.

ryan

Just get Nikon mount, or get one of the generic focal reducers out there that are already EF-m4/3

Bertzie

They sell them on ebay for 100 bucks. Go look for Zhongyi eos m43 speed booster. Its adapter and glass with no aperture control or electronics

August 28, 2014

Dafre

Having used some 3rd party chinese adapter I can attest that the quality is really inferior.
I have not used metabones but once I get hands I will do a comparison video

September 1, 2014

Archie

This is great news to wake up to!

Zedd

This is great but I think it's time to start investing in MFT lenses. If I have to buy adapters for every single camera that has an MFT mount. With my BMPCC and now the GH4 I plan to buy, I need to just skip these adapters and buy lenses.

PayDro

Don't forget that this will also change the angle on any lens, so it will allow you to have a different look by simply removing or adding it to you camera. Add a fast zoom like Sigma 12-35 F1.8 in the EF mount and you can have a bunch of different visuals just like that.

DLD

I have the native lenses. You still don't get the same depth of field and look with an f2.8 that you do on a super 35 sensor size. So i'm glad to have this speed booster

August 28, 2014

Dafre

It's about god damn time! Thank you Metabones!

Birdman

Does anyone have the link to purchase this?

August 27, 2014

Canon 16-35 L is not in the list. Any ideas why? I hope its supported.
Also, I got a Chinese optical adapter - It sucks!
There are tests I know but anyone who has used them on the field, do the optics reduce image quality significantly? Like my Chinese ones were very good at the centre but (and a huge but) ONLY at the centre. A decent radius of corners were soft, and the extreme corners were like gaussian blur.

Archie

That list was just the ones tested with the smart adapter. I'm sure it will work with all EF mount lenses.

Will

Thanks

Archie

I love everything about the GH4 in terms of features, and I believe it outpaces the A7s in this regard. However, I love to shoot at night (I even have a planned short film entitled "Night") and I know the micro four-thirds processor limits the GH4's low-light capabilities severely, and the A7s outperforms most cameras in low-light. This is a dilemma; I want the GH4 for its true 24p, global framerates, its video tools, its true 4k, et cetera et cetera, but I really do love to shoot at night where the A7s reigns supreme.

Does anyone here think that this speed booster will help rectify the GH4's limited low-light performance enough that it could be used at night with acceptable noise and detail? I like to mimic moonlight with LED lights so I am not talking about complete darkness, but much of the frame may be in shadow for stylistic reasons.

Let me guys know what you think! Can this speedbooster make the GH4 work as a night camera?

Alex

1- Use lights
2- test the camera & lights & lenses
3- if necessary, use fast primes, instead of zooms
4- use lights
No matter what, your movie will look better with good lighting, at ISO 100 or ISO 200,000.

Charlie

Except when proper lighting is unavailable in a setting that's required to be low key or simple, such as a documentary in a real world setting. Run and gun shooting as well.

Franco

I generally only use primes, and for this purpose I have some very fast ones, particularly when paired with a speedbooster. My concern is that many reviews of the camera seem to have stated that the micro four-thirds sensor is simply too small to ever truly be noise free at say 800 ISO (the maximum I would want to use anyway.

I am just wondering if anyone here, based on knowledge or experience, thinks that a super fast prime paired with this speedbooster (let's say hypothetically that together they would provide f1.2) can allow for such shooting conditions.

I usually do light quite well, but sometimes I want to shoot things naturally for a certain effect, and I would like the minimal amount of digital noise in the shadows as possible. The more I look around though the more I think that this is possible with the GH4. The only thing now might be the dynamic range which, again, is skewed in the A7s' favour. But damn, I just love the idea of internal 4k recording.

Alex

Personally I have found the GH4 to be pretty impressive in low light compared to what my old T2i used to do. Much lower noise at higher ISOs in my experience. But it's definitely no A7s, and a Speedbooster will only give the GH4 a small boost - not nearly enough to play in the same park as the A7s in low light.

August 28, 2014

Brian

I shot this on the gh4 with no extra lighting except for what was around. Stayed at 400 ISO. No noise reduction, no speedbooster. I just got one for canon FD, it would have been nice to have it for this but I am still pretty happy with the gh4's low light capabilities. In general though I am always happier with the image if I just light it properly and not try and bump the ISO. I mainly got the a speedbooster to cut down on the gh4's crop factor

john

For the record you are getting a full frame with the A7s and the adapter is $300 more for the GH4 because it is a speed booster and not an adapter. The A7s will out put 4K when the Atomos shogun comes as the GH4 does this in camera, but if your like me and already looking to purchase the shogun this isnt a problem, but overall I'm still going back and forth. On top of that you can get the Sony Fs100 with lens and EF adapter for $2999 from B$H, which is a camera I want, but doesn't do 4K or have ND's built in. I can go on about the BM 4K, but I'll stop there.

August 27, 2014

Sony showcased Atomos Shogun on A7s a few days ago in England. Purportedly, it looks like ... well, 4K!
I am sure there'll be plenty of reporting on this from IBC and PhotoKina.

DLD

The GH4 is not limited at night. It's just not as good in low light as the A7s. There probably isn't any camera, not the Alexa, Red, F55, a film camera, or any other, that is as good as the A7s in low light. Personally, the high cost and no internal 4K is what has made me steer away from the A7s. But if I do see a wide scope of need for night shooting I'll get an A7s.

August 29, 2014

geno

August 31, 2014

David

Alex... the post states the speedbooster gives you ONE STOP this is not going to significantly change anything, unless you are literally 'almost but not quite.' It is better than nothing, but unless $600 is lunch money for you, you might spend your cash on better lighting and be happier.

September 1, 2014

Moviemaker Mike

Wait, it works on the Digital Bolex? If so, then this is all I've been waiting for to finally purchase a D16!

I'm confused though. How would you actually attach the Metabones to a C-mount? I was under the impression there still isn't a micro 4/3 to c-mount adapter yet.

I'm crossing my fingers this is possible.

Ben Cooper

I wondered the same thing about an earlier Metabones adapter designed for the M43 mount on the BMPCC that reportedly worked with the C-mount D16.

Marc B

Will this work with Rokinon lenses, even though they already have a manual aperture?

Aaron

All signs point to yes.

Most definitely.

August 28, 2014

Brian

Alex, if you're concerned about the GH4's low light capabilities, try a fast MFT lens such as the Voigtlander 17mm or 25mm f.95. I haven't had many issues with low light capability since I bought it. The image is super clean, even at night.

What kind of lens are you shooting with? If it's around f2.8, f3.5 or higher, you're going to have a lot of difficulty at night without sufficient lighting. I think that goes for most cameras apart from the Sony A7S, which has a minimum ISO of 3200 on Slog2, haha. Maybe you should be dealing with the A7S if you are going to shoot at night.

DK

GH4 + Voigtlander 17,5 = A7S at night?

I have the gh4 and SLR Magic 35mm... and Im thinking about selling and buying the a7s for lowlight.

Would buying a Voigt 17,5 + speedboster (which model?) be enough to keep the gh4?

Lava

I'm currently evaluating the GH4, A7S and BMPC4K. If you are dead set on shooting at night, perhaps the Sony A7S would be a better solution in the long run. You will need another set of lenses. The main issue for me with the A7S is the lack of internal 4K recording capability and a low bitrate 50mbps codec. The Voigtlander can give you a couple extra stops with the GH4. I'm shooting with the SLR Magic Anamorphot on the Voigtlander and the results are very nice.

DK

Thanks DK!
I hope you had some online video uploaded with your Voigtlander and Anamorphot on the GH4. Would have loved to see that!

I never got so stressed about having to buy gh4 or a7s. Selling my voigtlander and slr magic 12mm (and 35!) to buy the A7S...

Or just keep them, buy the gh4 use it, and wait for the super-gh5.

Lava

Thanks DK! That's an important tip. :-)

August 29, 2014

geno

The GH4 may become the most common camera for event videography with full usage of Canon EF glass and the improved low light capabilities offered with this adapter.

Marc B

The replys to this post will inevitably fall into one of these categories:

1) "Shoot, I really wish they would have..."
2) "It's about damn time!"
3) "Will this work with the...?"
4) Bizzare rant probably not associated with this announcement.

August 27, 2014

I choose 3) "It's about damn time!"

Mine will be here Friday...

Yes, it's finally here!