February 6, 2015

Canon Put an Insane 50.6MP Full-Frame Sensor Into the New 5DS & 5DS R

Canon 5DS No Lens Price Cost Release Date
While it hasn't exactly been a well-kept secret, the next Canon 5D has been officially announced.

Coming in with a 50.6MP full-frame sensor, Canon has finally pushed up against the limits of full-frame 35mm, and is aiming this camera straight at people who want medium format, but just can't afford it, and want to keep using lenses they already have. The two new models are the 5DS and the 5DS R, with the difference being a low-pass filter cancellation effect on the R model, which should give even sharper photos (but the potential for some moire/aliasing). They also announced a new lens, the EF 11-24mm f/4L, to presumably take advantage of this crazy resolution (many lenses will not be able to fully resolve 50MP).

The first thing we should get out of the way is that this likely isn't a direct replacement to the 5D. We're probably going to see a different 5D model with more video-focused features down the line. These new models are aimed squarely at photographers, and thus the video is limited to just 30fps at 1080p (and there is no headphone port). There is one video sample here, but it doesn't give the whole story as it's rather low-res.

Canon 5DS Back

Here are the specs:

• 50.6MP (Max Res: 8688 x 5792) Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
  • 5DS R has Low-Pass Filter Effect Cancellation
  • Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors
  • 3.2" 1,040K-Dot ClearView II LCD Monitor
  • MPEG AVC/H.264: 1920 x 1080p / 29.97 fps / 25 fps / 23.98 fps
  • MPEG AVC/H.264: 1280 x 720p / 59.94 fps / 50 fps
  • MPEG AVC/H.264: 640 x 480p / 29.97 fps / 25 fps
  • 1920 x 1280: ALL-I 11 min. (654 MB / min.)
  • 1920 x 1280: IPB 33 min. (255 MB / min.)
  • 1280 x 720: ALL-I 13 min. (583 MB / min.)
  • 1280 x 720: IPB 38 min. (196 MB / min.)
  • 640 x 480: IPB 97 min. (78 MB / min.)
  • Crop Shooting: 1.3x 30MP and 1.6x 20MP
  • 61-Point High Density Reticular AF
  • 150,000-Pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor
  • ISO 100-6400 (Extended Mode: 50-12800)
  • Built-in Mic
  • Mic, Mini-HDMI, USB 3.0
  • 5.0 fps Burst Shooting
  • Anti-Flicker Compensation
  • User-Selectable Shutter Release Time Lag
  • Dual Compact Flash and SD Media Slots
  • Availability: June 2015
  • Price: $3,700 for 5DS & $3,900 for 5DS R

Here is the R version, which looks pretty much the same:

Canon 5DS R Front No Lens Price Cost Release Date

Here are JPEGs from the camera (click for full-res):

Canon 5DS JPEG Image Sample

Canon 5DS Still Image Sample 2

In-depth walkthrough of the new camera:

Here's a time lapse shot with the new model:

Canon 5DS Ports

Canon 5DS Top

Either way, if you're looking for the maximum quality possible out of a DSLR in terms of stills, this is pretty much it. Landscape and fashion photographers will love this thing, though it's not going to be a low-light beast due to its high pixel count. The 1D X and the Mark III should perform better in low-light with their lower pixel full-frame sensors.

Again, I would expect a more video-focused camera coming later in the year (there are already rumors of a 5D Mark IV), so don't be disappointed if you were expecting a big jump in video quality, as this model is more just for the stills people.

Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L

Canon also announced a brand new lens, the ultra-wide EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens:

Canon 11-24mm f4L

• EF Mount L-Series Lens/Full-Frame Format
  • Constant f/4 Maximum Aperture
  • Super UD, UD, and 4 Aspherical Elements
  • SWC, Air Sphere, and Fluorine Coatings
  • Ring-Type USM Autofocus Motor
  • Internal Focus; Full-Time Manual Focus
  • Weather-Resistant Design
  • Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm
  • Availability: February 2015
  • Price: $3,000

For more, check out the links below.

Yawn..Canon..zzzzzzzz

February 6, 2015 at 12:24AM

Looks like a great still camera.. but wondering why its being covered on nofilmschool?

February 6, 2015 at 1:13AM

Still camera's can be use for all kinds of applications in film. Especially in visual effects.

February 6, 2015 at 12:09PM

Gilles van Leeuwen
Filmmaker

(sarcasm)

February 6, 2015 at 2:04PM

Why on earth would I get this in place of my 5D Mk3? I would rather have my 60D than these. Its clearly aimed at photographers and no one would have batted an eyelid if NFS ignore it. Shame on Canon!!!

February 6, 2015 at 4:53PM

Kayode

the 5D's really started the dslr revolution, that's probably the reason they posted this article. Never the less, this camera is not for video, canon has their own line of cinema camcoders and nowadays they try to get the customers to buy c-line for video, rather then one of their dslr. Kayode- even your 60d is out of magic lantern since the new update (so have I heared), so it's also not a great video equipment solution. GH4 or A7s is a way to go now (or if you don't need stills you can get a Blackmagic pocket)

February 7, 2015 at 9:07AM

Piotr Matyja
Director/Filmmaker

One positive thing about canon is its ability to not evolve. I feel like I still have a new camera (5Dmk2, about 7 years old now), and my accessories will fit any new DSLR that this company releases.
Compare this to the anxiety I would feel if I owned a BMC or a Panasonig GH4 - every camera update would put me in the stone age...

February 6, 2015 at 2:00AM, Edited February 6, 2:00AM

Joakim

But not updating...would not keep you in the stone age?

February 6, 2015 at 2:42AM

Greg Latham
One Man Band

lol, i had an end of sarcasm tag that was removed :)

February 7, 2015 at 8:22AM

Joakim

50mp showing every hair gives a whole new meaning to the word "candid": mercilessly candid!

I feel the models will start asking to be shot in 20mp or less.

February 6, 2015 at 3:54AM

Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

Medium format cameras have been resolving to that level for years now. Models are used to being photographed with that much detail.

February 6, 2015 at 8:39AM

Michael Markham
Actor/Filmmaker

That jpg is just freaking insanely big. I'm remembering using my first DSLR in a photo class and how that 12/14 megapixels was mind blowing.

These cameras probably aren't for me, but I'm really excited to see what ML brings to them down the line.

February 6, 2015 at 4:31AM, Edited February 6, 4:31AM

Zack Wallnau
Cinematographer & Tinkerer

DPreview said: "As far as dynamic range is concerned, we're told that the new 5DS and 5DS R should give the same performance as the current EOS 5D Mark III. If true, this means that the new cameras won't be able to offer the same industry-leading dynamic range of Sony's current APS-C and full-frame sensors, but at least it isn't a step backwards. And hey - 50MP!"

So: more of the same, but luckily at least A LOT MORE of the same this time. Unless you care mostly about video.

February 6, 2015 at 5:33AM

its is great for photographers, post this on fstoppers.com

February 6, 2015 at 9:16AM, Edited February 6, 9:16AM

Adrian Wong-Ken
DP/Director/Producer

There is an excellent article by David Shapton on Red Shark News which puts these new Canon cameras into perspective.

I think people who bought the C100/300/500 are loving those cameras and have gained the worth of Canon incrementally supporting a three year life cycle without releasing another video camera every five minutes, which would essentially compete against themselves. No need for add-ons, boosters or workarounds. Those who compare with the GH4 and A7s should surely buy those cameras instead, which is the nature of having a choice.

Many established DOPs had a reluctance to embrace RED when it was the loud new upstart in town, because of the conservative nature of many DOPs and their practices. Similarly, Canon cater for this same mentality in the stills and video world. That is what the Canon Professional Services is all about, like a badge of honour among those types.

The C cinema series is probably due for some kind of reboot, and Canon may yet surprise and silence at NAB. Just my 2 pence/cents, not getting at anyone.

February 6, 2015 at 9:18AM, Edited February 6, 9:18AM

Saied M.

Day 2333... Still waiting on 1080 60fps to upgrade my Mark II. Will there be hope with the Mark IV?

February 6, 2015 at 9:39AM, Edited February 6, 9:39AM

John Joumaa
Digital Video Editor

I recommend selling your camera gear and finding a better system. Canon has been nothing but a letdown for filmmakers. I currently see no reason whatsoever to stick with Canon. If you're going to stay with Canon, best go with the cinema line and quit waiting out features that will never come.

February 6, 2015 at 3:35PM, Edited February 6, 3:34PM

Brandon Neubert
Color Artist / Writer / Director

I was hoping the same thing (also a 5D mark II owner). Problem is that changing system will make all my lenses obsolete, at least if you, like me, both do photography and film with the same camera.

Have looked in to other systems (sony a7s), but loosing autofocus on all my canon lenses (even using metabones) will disqualify the a7s to become a photo-camera.

Alternative 3 is to sell everything and start all over again... maybe after NAB

February 7, 2015 at 8:31AM

Joakim

I'm a stills photographer (along with video for web extra) and this camera isn't what I was hoping for. In the 5d mark III I rarely find myself wishing for more megapixels. Dynamic range! Don't they get it? And I'd love more serious video capability, since as a stills photographer I shoot video with with the camera I already have in my bag.

February 6, 2015 at 11:56AM

Brad Slade
Photographer

No. It's clear that if you want video - you have to buy the cinema line. Why are people still holding on to Canon DSLRs for video? Tradition? That's a silly, stupid reason. Quality? There are plenty of lower priced, better, higher quality cameras out there pounding with features for filmmaking. Why on earth are people so attached to Canon? No focus peaking, false color, limited frame-rates, limited bit-rates, limited codecs, limited color-spaces and profiles, no audio control, it's ridiculous! Can we grow up and move on to a camera actually made for video, rather than use one with video as a side project? "We're probably going to see a different 5D model with more video-focused features down the line"? I don't think so. That's what the C100 II is for. And what do you mean by "more video-focused features?" Don't you mean "ANY video-focused features?"

February 6, 2015 at 3:32PM, Edited February 6, 3:32PM

Brandon Neubert
Color Artist / Writer / Director

@Brandon - Ouch that hurt...

February 6, 2015 at 4:59PM

Kayode

Those pretty much mirror my thoughts. I'm a big fan of the C100, and am really looking forward to using the C100 mkII. It ticks all the right boxes for me for 95% of my shooting situations now, and rentals can handle that last 5%. At this point I'm pretty much done shopping for photo-focused cameras for video.

It's funny though. I also do a lot of photography (for work and fun), and the new 5D doesn't do anything for me. 20ish MP is more than enough, and honestly I'd rather have performance like the a7s. Give me an awesome 12-15 MP full frame sensor that has comparatively huge photosites that can gather tons of light with low noise and high dynamic range.

February 7, 2015 at 10:09AM

Jim Shields
Digital Media Producer

As a stills photographer I don't find myself wishing for more pixels as much as dynamic range. A video upgrade would have been important too.

February 6, 2015 at 4:45PM, Edited February 6, 4:45PM

Brad Slade
Photographer

Amazing how Canon and Nikon are ceding video cams to the likes of Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and Gopro.

February 6, 2015 at 6:10PM

Tom Holton
UAS Specialist

Hey guys, it's ok for Canon to have a diverse portfolio of tools for sale. Hasselblad, the the go to camera in commercial photography, was pushing past 60 mp since back in like 2011. That camera system, which consisted of a camera and digital back, was over $30k back then, plus lenses. This is a fricken revolutionary camera for many people. If you're so happy with your A7s and GH4, why go online and gripe about Canon, go out and enjoy your product.

February 6, 2015 at 7:58PM

Derek Olson
Directomatographeditor

I cannot but help feel that Cannon is on the edge of releasing a new camera line and is just waiting for the technology to become more viable. But that is just a hunch...

February 19, 2015 at 1:33PM