March 6, 2015

Watch 10 Minutes of Intense BTS Footage from Neill Blomkamp's 'Chappie'

Some of the set pieces in the film are pretty wild, and every time I see these kinds of BTS reels it makes me appreciate just how much work and choreography it takes to create action scenes, which so often on screen end up being half as exciting as they are in these clips.

And here's the trailer for the film if you haven't seen it:

What's interesting is that the film, which opens this weekend, only cost $50 million. While not insignificant, it's a budget that's far closer to his first film District 9 than to the $115 million that Elysium reportedly cost. Regardless of the reviews, it's clear that Blomkamp is able to push the dollar a bit further, and he's been able to create some exciting worlds on budgets that are half of what they might be for other Hollywood directors.

It will be interesting to see what Blomkamp does with the Alien franchise, especially considering the rich worlds he's been able to bring to life.

Always nice to see footage from productions like this.
Does anybody know what that box-like camera (or other device) is the girl is holding in some shots? (At 1:44 for example)

March 6, 2015 at 6:03AM

This is only a guess so don't take my word for it. I think its a soundproof box for a photographer to take BTS photos will they are shooting on set? The shutter sound going off whilst filming would be the most annoying thing lol.

March 6, 2015 at 8:14PM

Saint Kriss
Creative Director

It's a still photo camera blimp to be able to shoot photos while the film is being shot. A few of the new mirrorless cameras have a "silent" mode that also allows you to shoot still photos and not make any noise. ( no blimp required )

March 6, 2015 at 8:55PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Great!!

By the way, are those real guns (find it very had to believe tho), cause I think I clearly saw bullet impacts on the ground and on the buses (flames at least) and there were visible bullet flares and all.. Would be great if anyone could help expatiate.

March 6, 2015 at 7:21AM, Edited March 6, 7:21AM

blanks, squibs and pyrotechnics. blank rounds fired through real guns (modified to just fire blanks), squibs are small pyrotechnics placed on actors to simulate gunshots (often packed with fake blood) and then pyrotechnics placed on the ground, where the director wants them, with some dirt or fuller's earth on top to give the dust cloud.

March 6, 2015 at 10:35AM

Michael Carney
Director of Photography, Commercial Video, Stills

They also use spark rounds fired by paintball gun to make those spark hits. you can see in the final shot the guy with a paintball gun shooting at the ground.

March 6, 2015 at 11:37AM

Dan Hoene

Minute: 3:15 Just like another day in Manhattan.
(Joking)

Now I want to see this movie more than never.

March 6, 2015 at 1:39PM, Edited March 6, 1:39PM

Edgar More
All

Damn. Hollywood production equipment is MASSIVE. Those sliders were basically on train tracks.

March 6, 2015 at 3:50PM

Dantly Wyatt
Musical Comedy & Content Creator.

I like Neill Blomkamp's films but he has essentially made the same movie four times.

March 7, 2015 at 2:40PM

Ivan Salinas
Filmmaker

Man, I am so excited, I can't wait to not see this! ; )

March 13, 2015 at 7:13PM

I loved the bts shots. It reminds me of how dry the process of acting and filmmaking can be and the artistic talents that are displayed in the final work. I hate the bts extra features that are shined up for the dvd or are just interviews with cast talking about the experience.

I would love to see a documentary that is just the process of making a film without the interviews. The making of a scene from conception to procuring a site to setting up equipment, filming, cleaning up, post and final product.

March 14, 2015 at 9:22PM