April 1, 2015

Insane Price Drops on Canon Cinema Cameras Including the C300 & C100

This is not an April Fools' joke, though I'm sure plenty of you could come up with one.

Canon just dropped the prices on a bunch of their cinema products, including the C300 and the C100 (and there are some good deals on lenses). While they've had a number of drops over the past year, the C300 price has now plummeted. You can get a body-only EF mount C300 (without AF) for just $6,500, and a body-only C100 (without AF) can be had for just $3,000, less than the price of some DSLRs. The C100 in particular is now pretty cheap considering the built-in ND filters and solid image quality (and you can get ProRes if you add a relatively inexpensive recorder like the $300 Atomos Ninja Star).

Here is a look at the current prices of the C300:

As far as the C100, it's worth noting that it is the older version of the camera. If you've got the money to spare, the newer $5,500 Mark II version improves on a few things, most notably it has a higher-res flip-out screen and a much better EVF (and image quality is improved at higher ISOs). It's an all around better camera, but saving $2,500 is nothing to scoff at, especially since if you really want the autofocus, you can get the older C100 with Dual Pixel AF for $500 more at $3,500

While not all price drops are related to new cameras, this one certainly is. There is no question at this point that Canon is announcing a new version of the C300 this month, but we have no idea how much it will cost — though I expect it to be over $10,000, especially if it has internal 4K. The C100 Mark II is relatively new, so I expect that to stay at the low end, while they'll eventually phase out the older C100, C300, and C500 (the latter two of which will most likely be replaced at NAB).

The other thing about new announcements is that it's rare for a camera to come out right after NAB, so even if Canon does come out with new cameras, don't expect them to be available until a little bit later. No cameras from Canon have internal 4K except for the 1D C, but that will probably change in a big way in just a few weeks (and likely later in the year with the 5D Mark IV).

In the meantime, you can find the deals on the C100 here and the deals on cinema lenses here, with a link to the rest below.

...

April 1, 2015 at 6:08AM

Edgar More
All

People are still sticking with canon mostly because they have huge arsenal of Canon lenses! C300 is an awesome camera but still no slomo is a killer! I would like to see how the rental houses are going to react about it.

April 1, 2015 at 6:11AM

Rayhanur kabir
Director, DP

Thats my reason... I have a ton of lenses.

April 1, 2015 at 11:35AM

Walter Wallace
Spokesperson/Entrepreneur

Why lenses matter? You can buy Canon mount for any camera you want to shoot!

January 5, 2016 at 6:34AM

James Nguyen
Director of Photography

I think they pretty much had to drop the price, regardless of whether or not a C300 MkII is coming out. It's ridiculous by how much the F7 outclasses it at $8000.

April 1, 2015 at 7:28AM

Adrian Tan
Videographer

Erm, FS7 rather than F7.

April 1, 2015 at 7:30AM

Adrian Tan
Videographer

[gameofthronesstyle]NAB is coming![/gameofthronesstyle]

April 1, 2015 at 8:14AM, Edited April 1, 8:14AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

I wouldn't call it insane price drops, rather insanely overpriced till now for what they are. $3000 for the C100 is good but $6500 for a C300 is still too much for what it offers.

April 1, 2015 at 8:41AM

exactly right. if i'm someone who payed full freight for these things, which were nearly obsolete the minute they came off the shelves, i'd be outraged.

the first poster is right; canon is damn lucky they have so many pros enslaved because they own too much canon gla$$.

April 1, 2015 at 10:30AM

stephen knifton
owner / creative director

NFS pitches articles like electronics stores pitch TVs. Everything has to be INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANeee!!!!

April 1, 2015 at 12:50PM

Insane is Joe's adjective of choice. And no offense Joe, but neither this price drop nor the power rangers video really classify as insane in any real sense of the word.

April 1, 2015 at 4:55PM

John Morse
Producer + Director

One thing to consider: if it's $6,500 brand new, maybe in a few months they're going to start showing up on eBay at $4000 or less.

April 2, 2015 at 2:31AM

Adrian Tan
Videographer

Agreed, the used market has no choice but to offer used C300's at used price starting between $4000-$5500

April 2, 2015 at 12:34PM

I think of it this way: I've never shot for broadcast, but I'd like to, and I don't know if there's a more convenient way to get a seat at that table than dropping $4000-$5500 on a used C300. Maybe there's cheaper ways to meet minimum specs (bearing in mind also that not every broadcaster is as stringent as the BBC), but surely the C300 "just works" -- HD-SDI, genlock, internal recording.

April 2, 2015 at 5:18PM

Adrian Tan
Videographer

If you had a Canon Rebel T5i and were thinking of upgrading, would you go for the Canon 5D Mark III or for the Canon C100? Thanks for any suggestions! (and yes, i'm sticking with Canon because I have a few Rokinon Cine lenses which look pretty good)

April 1, 2015 at 10:29AM, Edited April 1, 10:29AM

nolan merchan
Writer-Director

I've been using the 5d2 for a few years and am upgrading to the 5d3 not the c100 because of the magic lantern raw capabilities and the photography side of things. It really depends on what you do, for photography and the full frame stick with the 5d3. If you don't do serious photography and want a great workhorse video camera the c100 is ultimately more convenient

April 1, 2015 at 5:00PM

I would go for the C100 for the following features...

- 12 stops of dynamic range right up to 80,000 ISO
- Great low-light camera can produce a very nice image at 6,400+ ISO
- Proper XLR audio inputs
- Very little rolling-shutter distortion
- Can be upgraded to an effective video Auto-focus for $500
- Long battery life
- Easy work-flow to produce finished work
- Shoot all day on just 1 or 2 memory cards
- Works with standard memory cards ( the 5D Mk3 requires very expensive memory cards to shoot RAW )

April 1, 2015 at 6:00PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

If you have Rokinon Cine lenses than why stick with Canon?
I had a t2i with Samyang (aka Rokinon) Cine lens and I moved over to the sony a7s. And honest I do not regret it one second. I have tried the 5d3 and sure its a great still camera. But if you do video and you have manual lens, the A7s is no brainer.

I can't talk for the c100 as I havent tried it but from a price point It is even cheaper than the two other options. You can find cheap NEX-EF adaptor since you don't need a smart one. Some even come with nd filters like the hollymanta.

April 2, 2015 at 6:48AM

April Fools!

April 1, 2015 at 10:50AM

This is going to read like its sponsored but its not.

I already own a 2 year old C100 and i think now would be a good time to buy a second hand C100. This camera has been a great workhorse camera and the new mk2 is too pricey considering it has the same sensor as the one I already own. As a C100 owner i knew this move would come and that these cameras would become " Obsolete "... but it is not " Obsolete " for me right now. Having 2 matched cameras in my 2 cam interviews will cut my post workflow down, and having 2 of these cameras continuously recording on a live event without having to worry about the recording stopping at any point is great for post multicam cutting.

Yes there is no 4k but I can get 4k later this year when the camera companies have all decided to put their best hat in the ring. A7s will be updated, Canon will release a budget 4k camera, Sony FS7 will price drop, and the Shogun will have all the firmware updates that it needs. Black Magic will probably release 5 new cameras.

I think if you already own a working C100 package for events, weddings, corporate videos for online distro etc, this is pretty sweet.

Buy a second hand C100 mk1 and increase you production value. Especially if you have the batteries, cards and glass.

April 1, 2015 at 10:51AM

Claire McHardy
Cinematographer

There is going to be a C700 with internal 4K. Images are beautiful but the form factor is worse because it's even taller. I heard that from a DP who tested it for Canon. No idea how much.

April 1, 2015 at 12:37PM

Jan Becker
DP, Director, Producer

April 1, 2015 at 4:04PM

Saied M.

Price drop from comically overpriced to overpriced...

April 1, 2015 at 1:20PM

Vidrazor

Still too expensive, but nobody beats Canon color science at this price range. Colours are just beautiful !

April 1, 2015 at 1:24PM

Roberto Mettifogo
Director.Dop.Colorist.

I agree, their color out of the box is damn good.

April 1, 2015 at 8:36PM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

No thanks. I dont have Canon lenses. The Black Magic Ursa is a better option for me.

April 1, 2015 at 2:04PM

treykaiza@gmail.com
Cat Herder

Have you worked with one ?

The Ursa is a 25lb camera once you add on lens, media, and battery. This means using a heavy duty jib, slider, or gimbal if you want to use the Ursa.

The first time I picked the Ursa up it felt just like a boat-anchor. Definitely not for any kind of handheld work.

April 2, 2015 at 10:52PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Not even if you have big biceps?

July 16, 2015 at 11:08AM

Andrea Scott
Videographer and VO/ Artist/YT Presenter and Journalist.

I understand all the spec comparing, and frustration with Canon, but there's really nothing like this at this price point to my knowledge. I was at this very second looking for a camera for a project coming up, and have exactly that much money. After this my next best option was a used FS700, and I have always hated the image from that camera (just one man's opinion).

I have an A7S and love it but the fact is that it doesn't have XLR's, and doesn't have ND's, both of which are strictly required for this job. My client will never want slow-mo, doesn't care one bit about specs, and will like that it says "canon" on it. It doesn't solve all the world's ills, but if you are looking for a camera to buy today, and you have a certain type of project, the cost/quality/functionality ratio on this camera is about as good as it gets.

April 1, 2015 at 3:30PM

Russell Anway
DP, editor, compositor

The A7s does have XLR inputs. Just add the KLM-1 not sure the exact model number but I have one and it works great.

Best part is its removable.

April 1, 2015 at 8:35PM

The Canon-pire Strikes Back.
Okay, my poetry is terrible.

April 1, 2015 at 4:08PM

Saied M.

I think people are selling the C300 short, as the image quality on that bad boy still holds up. It's just that some of its limitations are quite crippling now that slow-mo has become standard, and the 4K rollout has happened much faster than expected with the influence of digital platforms.

$1500 to future proof yourself with the FS7 is just too good to turn down. But if you're already operating in a C300 based system, (and plenty of reality TV is), then you could have a $6500 camera paid off in just a few weeks.

April 1, 2015 at 7:19PM

Ben Howling
Writer / Director

I'm more excited about Panasonic's camera being rumored to release around NAB.

April 2, 2015 at 1:21AM

"New rumors suggest that we will see a new Panasonic 4K camera arrive around NAB 2015. The camera is expected to serve as a replacement for the Panasonic AF100, which can now be had at the discounted price of $2799.

Rumors include references to improved dynamic range of 15 or 16+ stops possible, depending on the various rumor sources. Additional rumored specs include the following:

4K video
18MP photo
16+ stops of dynamic range
Improved lowlight capabilities
Improved skintones
Improved highlight rendition
Useable ISO (almost no grain) up to 12,800
One of the best stills and videos images/color rendition/dynamic range compared to the competition
$3k-$4k price"

source: http://www.photographybay.com/2015/02/22/new-panasonic-4k-camera-coming-...

April 2, 2015 at 1:33AM

I'll wait till futuristic Canon C900 will drop in price before the release of C1000. Or shall I wait till C1000 Mark 2?

April 2, 2015 at 4:49AM

Einar Gabbassoff
D&CD at Frame One Studio

Canon lenses also fit a Black Magic URSA.

April 2, 2015 at 6:02AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

As an owner of an A7s and a C300 user at work... I gotta say the C300 is still a beast of a camera. Of course the Fs7 (comparable in price) is a better camera specs wise... but the C300 produces a lovely image. I'm personally a big fan.

For my own work I use A7s' and love the image I get from them as well. C300/100 price dropping is just more opportunity for people in that work flow to grab that 2nd camera they've been eying.

April 2, 2015 at 9:32AM

David Luderer
Associate Producer / Director

Hey David, if you had to choose between the C300 mark I and the C100 mark II which one will you grab? Is the image really that better on the C300? I don't really care about slow motion, only image quality. Thanks!

April 29, 2015 at 7:49PM

Julien

glad i invested into my f3... I would be stepping on my balls right bout now.. dope price for new users though. smh

April 2, 2015 at 5:44PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

I Guess it safe to say that Canon is simply making space for their Next Gen C line of cameras.

April 2, 2015 at 6:52PM

Wonder when we'll see these price drops in Europe?

Been using a borrowed C100 for a while and I love the camera, especially at that price. Would go for an FS7 if I had the cash. But bang for buck the c100 is definitely tempting, even if it is old.

April 3, 2015 at 12:31PM

Sean Breathnach
Writer\Director\Editor

The technological advancement of society is coming. Probably in 5 years, this camera will be worth around $3000.

April 5, 2015 at 10:45PM

Minh Hang
Director

If you had the choice will you grab a C100 Mark 2 or a C300? Thanks!

April 29, 2015 at 7:47PM, Edited April 29, 7:47PM