April 10, 2015

Free Ultra High-Resolution Aspect Ratio Templates for Your Next 4K, 5K, or 6K Project

Vashi Visuals Aspect Ratios 4K, 5K, 6K
Aspect ratios are an insanely powerful visual tool, and aspect ratio templates are a great option for spicing up your work quickly and easily.

In one of his best blog posts, prolific editor Vashi Nedomansky shared examples of most every aspect ratio ever used in the history of cinema (there are a lot of them), and shared a link to some free templates that can be overlaid on footage to change the aspect ratio. However, those templates were all designed for HD frame sizes, and this being 2015, seemingly no one gives a shit about HD anymore. So Vashi did us all a favor and updated the templates for our high-resolution present and our even higher-resolution future. His new template pack (which you can download by clicking the giant image below) comes with 8 popular widescreen ratios ranging from classics like 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 all the way to the obscenely wide 4.00:1. Each template comes in resolutions ranging from 2K to 6K.

56 Free High-Resolution Aspect Ratio Templates - Vashi Visuals

Applying these ratios to your footage is insanely easy. All you've got to do is import the template with your aspect ratio of choice into an NLE, drag it onto its own video track atop your edited sequence, and vertically reposition any shots that need recomposing to fit the new ratio. That's it. That's all.

Again, you can see examples of all these aspect ratios in action over on Vashi's blog, and you can download them here.

Thanks, I was just making these myself!

April 10, 2015 at 6:09PM

This is incredibly helpful. Thanks!

April 10, 2015 at 6:42PM

My pleasure! Enjoy the templates.

April 10, 2015 at 10:37PM

Vashi Nedomansky
Filmmaker

Where is the 720p template?

April 10, 2015 at 9:41PM

Edgar More
All

On my previous post (that is linked to at the start of this article) you will find all the templates for 720p and 1080p.

April 10, 2015 at 10:39PM

Vashi Nedomansky
Filmmaker

You can also download these 2k, 4k, etc ones and just resize them in editing.

Example: 2K bars to fit at 720p are 63% scale and that's the only change you need to make.

April 23, 2015 at 11:15AM, Edited April 23, 11:15AM

This is pretty awesome. Though if you're going to be using a different aspect ratio for the entire project, Premiere allows you to change the sequence settings to reflect whatever aspect ratio you want. (I assume the other NLEs can do that as well, though I wouldn't know first hand.) It removes one extra layer from your timeline and then you never have to think about exporting it at the wrong aspect ratio or whether or not there are black bars to deal with.

I did my first couple of ~2.35:1 projects with cropmarks, but once I figured out how to do it at the sequence level, I haven't looked back.

April 10, 2015 at 9:41PM

Alec Kubas-Meyer
Writer/Director/DP

I also love the custom sequence settings possible in Premiere Pro and have cut my last 4 feature films in it. If I'm only shooting one camera codec/frame size that's all good and I can reposition for the final framing. But I haven't worked on a project in the many years that didn't use several different resolution sizes / pixel aspect ratios / frame rates etc. I always use the "Default scale to frame size" option and use an industry standard resolution size as I always have to share assets with VFX and for final delivery. The PNG aspect ratio templates offer real-time playback and take no hit on performance for the GPU or CPU. Also, I have to deliver scenes for review to studios / directors / producers that are played back in theaters for review and they have to be 16:9 to project properly at HD or 4K. That said, if I was in a contained workflow that I was in control of...I would have no issue with setting the sequence to my final delivery format like you do to do the whole edit. It's great that Premiere Pro gives you the flexibility to address both workflows as needed. Thanks for comment Alec and for sharing your workflow.

April 10, 2015 at 11:35PM

Vashi Nedomansky
Filmmaker

Awesome. Thanks!

April 12, 2015 at 6:46PM, Edited April 12, 6:46PM

Paul Usungu
Writer / Director / Producer

Nice one Vashi, thanks for sharing this with us.

April 13, 2015 at 1:56PM

Kayode

thank you! this is useful!

May 23, 2017 at 10:29AM, Edited May 23, 10:29AM

Diogo Pessoa Andrade
Filmmaker. Cinematographer. Editor. Digital Colourist.