October 8, 2015

Watch Stillmotion's Powerful New Feature Doc 'Our Journey Home' Free for 3 Days Only

Our Journey Home Stillmotion Documentary
Patrick Moreau and the talented filmmakers at Stillmotion just premiered their second feature-length documentary in NYC. Now you can watch it for free, but only for a limited time.

The film is called Our Journey Home, and it's a timely piece about homelessness and public housing in the United States, made in conjunction with ReThink Housing, a nonprofit that changes minds and hearts on the issue of public housing. Featuring narration from acclaimed singer/songwriter Jewel, Our Journey Home tells three stories of families that have struggled with homelessness in some way or another, and who have overcome those obstacles to build better lives.

Check out Our Journey Home in its entirety below:

If you're interested in learning more about Stillmotion's creative approach to making this film, be sure to check out this blog post and download their creative brief, which features their keywords for telling the story, information about each character, and plenty of storyboards. Early next week, Emmy-winning cinematographer Joyce Tsang will be sharing more about the technical process of shooting the film, and she'll even break down a few of her favorite scenes, showing how and why she used certain pieces of gear and filmmaking techniques. That post is scheduled for Monday on the Stillmotion blog, so check back then.

Our Journey Home will be streaming for free on Vimeo for the next three days, which means that Sunday evening is the deadline to watch.

wow

October 10, 2015 at 4:10PM

Absolutely great information for producing a documentary. Thanks!

Your style and storytelling really isn't my cup of tea as it's way too pretentious and self-aggrandizing for my tastes. It's very much that cloying "Upworthy" type of crap, but the way you plan your shoots is brilliant and informative --and a great bit of advice for ambitious doc filmmakers.

October 11, 2015 at 8:21PM, Edited October 11, 8:22PM

What Harvey said....

October 13, 2015 at 10:29PM

Scot Yount
Director/Editor/Photographer/Motion Graphic Artist

I love this in so many ways.
The color grading and the way it's filmed, love it all!

October 13, 2015 at 10:15AM

Robin Hofstra
Editor

First and foremost thanks for sharing your work.

I get why you guys have leveraged your IV with Jewel at the head of the doc, however the way it drops in at the head is quite jarring, unfortunately not in a good memorable way, but more so in a way that feels a little like a first cut. At the same time, yes I understand why you didn't open with the opening title montage / credits and VO combo that comes in after Jewel's first piece to cam... you want to use that point of difference in Jewel and leverage both her profile, success and relevance in her own life story... it makes you stand out from other docs that might be in the similar vein.... I absolutely get that, but unfortunately I think the cut could've been executed just that little bit better (in this section).

I have only watched the first 4-5 mins but will hopefully get a chance to watch the rest over the weekend.

Regardless, keep on trucking with the great work :-)

October 15, 2015 at 10:23PM, Edited October 15, 10:26PM

On a second quick look there's probably five shots I'd drop, one I'd extend, and one audio grab I'd remove altogether (particularly that crowd post atmos at the head is way too much..with the visuals it actually feels like you're going to bring up a "StillMotion Features" logo rather than actually moving into the film itself). I don't know if pretentious is the word for this bit, it actually just doesn't feel right.

October 15, 2015 at 10:33PM, Edited October 15, 10:34PM