January 23, 2016

Need to Store Your Tripods & C-Stands? This is a Great, Cheap DIY Solution

Getting gear is exciting and fun, but storing it, especially when you have a lot of it, can be a real nightmare.

If you've got a single-person camera package, chances are you don't have a plethora of tripods and C-stands lying around, so storage probably isn't a huge issue. But, if you're running a small studio, you're going to have to come up with some solutions on how to pack them away.

Lixi Studios has a great semi-DIY solution -- using inexpensive snowboard racks to store tripods and C-stands. They not only get your equipment off of the ground (which is just a terrible and dangerous idea anyway), but they allow you to separate and organize them much easier than if they were in a big pile in some closet somewhere.

Snowboard racks range in price depending on what features they have, but you can get some for as little as $20. This one used in the video comes from Pro Board Racks. It has 4 padded racks, is made out of solid pine, and will cost you $55.

Now, you don't necessarily have to use a snowboard rack. If you have a significant amount of room (and money), you could use some sort of metal shelving; if you don't, you could mount some metal hooks (maybe some bike hangers) to the wall. That solution will limit you pretty significantly in terms of how many tripods you could fit on each hook -- and maybe your tripod will end up being too large/oddly shaped for them.

What kinds of DIY solutions do you use to store your tripods and C-stands? Let us know down in the comments.

Great solution. I wonder how much weight the support arms can handle ? ( snowboards are lighter than a good sized tripod )

January 23, 2016 at 11:43PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Hi Guy! Very good concern, something we were questioning as well. Towards the base of each rung, very sturdy. We are storing tripods around the ~15-20lb mark fine. I probably wouldn't go too much more than that. However, if you needed to store more I would install a simple shelf bracket underneath, which would then really hold anything you threw at the rack.

January 25, 2016 at 10:19AM, Edited January 25, 10:23AM

Ok, first I wouldn't call this a diy, it's more a "buy it and then use it for something else" but it's not like if they build something themselves, then I don't think it needed a 3min video to show this revolutionary hack. And finally you can just buy some shelves at ikea, it's probably about the same price and you can store not only tripods but other things too, Oooh that's revolutionary!

January 24, 2016 at 5:39AM

AvdS

I use snowboard bags to carry light stands. It's cheap enough, durable, with shoulder strap. You can open it all around nicely lay them down and zip it. :)
You can sometimes put in small lights as well.

January 24, 2016 at 8:10AM

Poly

Great tip! We love our snowboard and ski equipment ;)

January 25, 2016 at 10:23AM

Looks like a pretty solid solution. I recently organized my studio using these wall mount spring clips from home depot. I mounted it to a steel shelf, keeping all my equipment in one location. Basically the stands are upright and clipped to the shelf. Works out really well and is super cheap.

Wall Mount Spring Clips

Steel Shelf

January 24, 2016 at 10:19AM

Dezi Marino
DP

I keep mine upright in a large wheeled trash can. Reach in and grab what you need. Works great.

January 24, 2016 at 12:45PM

Jonathan Gentry
DP Potomac Media

Good idea as well!

January 25, 2016 at 10:28AM

Why in the world would you mount those so low?!
All that dead wall-space above and now you're forced into being over to the ground to get the bottom two?
They should be mounted so that you need to reach above your head for the higher ones (lighter ones) and the lowest rack is just below waist level.

It's also not a DIY & the video needed to get to the point rather than try to be funny while wasting time.
When they did that push-in on her face at the beginning, I thought for sure it was going to cut to a dream-like, thought-scene of her coming up with the solution... instead it just made no sense and was poor choice of cinematography as it distracted from the video and nobody "thought" of anything.

You guys bought a rack, congratulations.

January 24, 2016 at 4:10PM, Edited January 24, 4:11PM

J.M. Anderson
Director of Photography

Hi J.M.! The reason we installed it so low, is so we could still install another unit directly above it to store more tripods. Definitely agree with you on the lightest on top, heaviest on bottom.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the push-in (it was a digital one, once we saw her funny reaction)! Just trying to be light and humorous. Thanks for the feedback.

January 25, 2016 at 10:26AM

Given that you placed another above it, that does indeed make perfect sense... I wish the video would have shown that because my OCD brain was unable to cope with the idea of just one so low and as a viewer we only know what were shown.
As far as the digital push, I totally get where the urge to accentuate such a reaction would come from. I did not mean to be critical in a destructive way, but rather offer some perspective as a viewer.
I think this might have been a "kill your babies" moment, as it was a good shot, the reaction was funny, but it did not help progress the video.
Thanks for putting this out there. Reviews and tips are always greatly appreciated along with the time it takes to create them.

January 29, 2016 at 6:50PM

J.M. Anderson
Director of Photography

I only have a few tripods and a monopod, but I'm planning to use these Bulldog Spring Clamps (http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Spring-Organizer-Brooms-PO-25/dp/B00GP59R0...) that are marketed for hanging brooms, rakes, shovels...anything with a large round radius handle. I figured these would work perfect for tripods, monopods, light stands and the like. Just make sure to have them anchored well into a stud as they have a lot of side torque when you open them to remove an item.

January 25, 2016 at 1:07PM

Lathan Hopsecker
Multimedia Specialist

Here's my version of this: "Put your tripods on shelves or a ski rack". See: no failed attempts at humour and I saved you from wasting 3 precious minutes.

No need to thank me.

January 25, 2016 at 6:01PM, Edited January 25, 6:01PM

Good idea and thanks for the video guys. I see that you had fun making this and I enjoyed your light hearted spirit. Don't listen to whiners claiming that you "wasted" 3 minutes of their time. They chose to click on the vid, you owe them nothing...

January 26, 2016 at 6:18AM

Ben McAllister
Compositor

Or surfboard racks work too.

January 26, 2016 at 3:38PM, Edited January 26, 3:38PM

45 seconds of content told in three minutes - now THAT is concise storytelling.

January 1, 2017 at 3:11PM