The Controversial Celluloid Debate & What Filmmakers Can Do About Orlando [PODCAST]
In this episode of Indie Film Weekly, we weigh in on our controversial interview with the president of Kodak and reflect on how filmmakers can respond to Orlando's tragedy.
This week, I'm joined by Producer Jon Fusco and Managing Editor Emily Buder to approach the big issues of the day with...what else? Movies! We come up with quite a list of summer recommendations, from our favorite LGBTQ works (to express solidarity with Orlando's gun violence victims), to standouts from the Brooklyn Film Festival, to this week's Sheffield Doc/Fest winners and more. We also get into the contentious film vs. video debate around our interview with Kodak's Steve Bellamy. As always, the episode includes our Ask No Film School segment, plus grant and festival deadlines, gear news, upcoming indie film releases, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- 'Be a Filmmaker, Not a Video Maker': Kodak's President On Why Film is King
- This Supercut Celebrates Some of the Best Films LGBTQ Cinema Has to Offer
- Missed the Brooklyn Film Fest? Watch Some of its Best Animated Shorts
- To Go or Not to Go: The Pros & Cons of Going to Film School
- Predicting the Future: How to Shoot a Mesmerizing Timelapse
- This Amazing Timelapse of Singapore Took 3 Years to Shoot
- An Algorithm Wrote This Movie, and It's Somehow Amazing
- How to Make Comedy Cinematic: Ingrid Jungermann's 'Women Who Kill'
- Why Oscar-Winning DP Kirsten Johnson's Sundance Opus is Required Viewing for Aspiring Filmmakers
- Riding a Big Wave of Bull$#!% with Award-Winning Sundance Doc 'NUTS!'
- Exclusive: Why Filmmaker Penny Lane Stirred Up the Tribeca 'Vaxxed' Controversy
- Panasonic Unveils Super Fast Wide-Angle Lens, the Leica DG Summilux 12mm f/1.4
- Turn Any Railing into a Tripod with This Pocket-Sized Camera Strap
- You Can Now Use Innovative Snapbag and Snapgrid Light Modifiers with Kino Flo
- Massively Updated Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Now Available for Download
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- MEDIMED Documentary Market - June 30
- WB Emerging Film Directors Workshop - June 30
- The American Documentary Film Festival and Film Fund (AmDocs) - June 18 (Earlybird)
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Mill Valley Film Festival - June 17
- Cinema Touching Disability Film Festival - June 17
- Timelapse Film Festival - June 18
- By The Sea - June 20
- Daddy Don’t Go - June 19th
- Raiders!: The Story of the Greatest Fan Film Ever Made - June 17
- Nuts! - June 20