December 8, 2016

AFI's 10 Best Movies and TV of 2016 Range from Indie to Disney

Lede

The American Film Institute has announced its top 10 best films and television series of 2016, a list that runs the gamut from Oscar hopefuls such as Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea to more conventional fare, such as Clint Eastwood's Sully, and even the animated Disney movie Zootopia.

The eight-hour documentary O.J.: Made in America won the AFI Special Award, which has in previous years been indicative of Best Picture Oscar winners, including The King’s Speech and The Artist

In 2015, AFI's Top 10 movies were The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, Carol, Inside Out, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, Room, Spotlight, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and Straight Outta Compton.

Films

Game of Thrones

The Night Of

The People v O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

Stranger Things

This Is Us

Veep

Do you agree with this list? Let us know in the comments.

No, I don't agree with that list. I just can't take it seriously as long as Black Mirror is not there.

December 9, 2016 at 5:11AM

Wait. What subreddit is this again?

December 9, 2016 at 5:38AM

Hmm,'Bleak Mirror' is more like it. Put it up there with "Horrid & Bleak", which is what C.K.'s series should be titled. It's a fine list in general for film and tv. For just American films, though, I'd leave out "Sully" (a good film, sure, but not top ten worthy, imo), and "Manchester By the Scream" and "Zootopia". I like my films with fewer than 14 scenes of people shouting and cursing at one another at the top of their lungs. Gimme "Louder Than Bombs" (partly an American production), "Krisha", "Hidden Figures" or "Loving". For animated film I'd put "Finding Dory" or "Moana"

January 7, 2017 at 3:40PM

Hacksaw Ridge was pretty ridiculous. "Violence and killing is bad".... cues slow motion scenes of guys shooting guns

December 10, 2016 at 3:45AM, Edited December 10, 3:45AM

Too true, made me laugh out loud.

December 15, 2016 at 6:27PM

James Manson
Photographer

What an ignoramus-type remark. Then again, you do much that same on RT regularly. It's a damned fine film.

January 7, 2017 at 3:47PM

For tv, I'd take off the overrated "The Americans", and "Veep". The first has zero characters I cared about and the 2nd just isn't that funny. I haven't watched "This Is Us" or "The Crown". I would include "Recitfy", "The Affair", and "Archer".

January 7, 2017 at 3:44PM