March 20, 2017

Gnarbox Lets You Back Up, Edit, and Share Full-Res Videos—No Laptop Required

This durable, pocket-sized storage device may change the game for rugged field production and adventure filmmaking.

Gnarbox’s super simple workflow seems almost too good to be true. The 128GB storage unit lets you stick a micro-SD or SD card from any camera directly into its body for backup (or CF cards via a USB 3 card reader). Once you download the Gnarbox app on your iOS or Android device and connect it to the Gnarbox, you can edit full-res footage on your phone, too.

And you don’t even need an internet connection—the box has its own wifi hotspot.

Gnarbox
The Gnarbox dimensions are 5.3” x 3.4”.

The company is clearly going after the adventure film market; there are ski and snowboard bros aplenty in the promotional videos. But it’s not just for style—the Gnarbox is built for rugged conditions, even those where you might be off the grid for a period, which could be useful for wilderness documentarians and beyond.

Some of the features that make this an ideal solution for more turbulent shoots are the Gnarbox's reportedly waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof design, and a 4000mAh battery that lasts for four to six hours on a single charge and allows you to recharge with microUSB.

The in-app editing tool allows for basic functions, like in-out points, color correction, cropping, and slow-motion.

See a full product tutorial below:

Pre-order yours now for delivery later this month.

Tech specs

• 5.3” x 3.4”
  • Intel ® Quad Core, 1.92GHZ CPU
  • 4 Core Intel ® HD Graphics GPU
  • Dual band 300mbps 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi
  • USB3.0 allows 100MB/sec write & 270MB/sec read
  • 2GB RAM
  • 1 AMP Out per USB
  • Compatible with CF Card Readers
  • 128GB FLASH Memory

Supported media

• .MP4, .MOV, .JPG, .PNG, and .RAW files
  • <720p, 720p, 1080p, 1440p, 2.7k, 4k
  • 12fps, 15fps, 24fps, 25fps, 30fps, 48fps, 60fps, 80fps, 90fps, 120fps, 240fps

HD Only, 128GB Max... Meh just your average gadget... Nexto DI (A Korean company) has been offering professionally oriented for years now. I have been using their first ever launch a product for years... Have a look there http://www.nextodiusa.com/

March 20, 2017 at 9:34PM

Seems promising. But, need to be familiar with it.

March 21, 2017 at 3:01AM

Sameir Ali
Director of Photography

It's great that it supports .RAW files, but I would need at least 1tb.

March 21, 2017 at 8:28AM

Josef Lorenzo
Director

It's really awesome guys you missed the big part where it can plug in hard drives so the internal storage isn't a problem, I use 4tb mobile drives, 2 of them so I can have secure backups of all my photos and videos in the field. It is so great to be able to ditch the computer when out shooting on trips or backpacking or out on location for a few days, you just keep downloading straight to the hard drives using the gnarbox. Can scroll though pic your faves edit them up and send out on social media. Think about this everything you shoot with is USB powered and rechargeable, my camera Sony a7s2 (i use a rad little 4 way Sony charger that works off 2 usb's to charge 4 batts at once, (computer aka gnarbox) and the gnarbox powers the external hd's. No mains power no problem for days out in the field, any USB battery solution will work, the goal zero ones with the solar panels are pretty rad for endless power. Complete independence from power and how many memory cards I have had been so awesome for me.
The phone interface works really well because it leverages all the high tech screen of your phone but running all the computing power on the gnarbox. It can handle large Sony a7r2 raw files and all the 4K and slow mo video formats all easily and quickly editable from your phone and then are easy to publish or share from the Gnarbox. I highly recommend it, been testing for a while. If you have any questions feel free to ask
Patrick

March 21, 2017 at 9:35AM, Edited March 21, 9:35AM

How much is it? I'm a fimmaker and would love to be able to review a bunch of shots on set to see if the sequence I'm shooting for has everything it needs. At the moment I just wait until I get back home, fire evrything on to my computer and do a quick and dirty edit just to see if what I shot will work as a sequence. My laptop can't handle 4K off my GH4 so it's a bit of a hassel. I like the idea of this. I'm not really interested in editing content to share immediatly I just want to assess what I've shot and be able to decide to reshoot something before I pack everything up and leave for the day. If this is it great but if it's, has anyone else got a sugestion?

March 21, 2017 at 10:41AM, Edited March 21, 10:41AM

John Stockton
Film maker, Editor, Photographer.

Get a new laptop. Problem solved.

March 21, 2017 at 11:39AM

Emil
Content

^seriously. laptop + portable harddrives.
and you would have your laptop available too for other things if needed.
also you may want to look at some chromebooks! all you need is data transfer to external hdd right? :)

March 22, 2017 at 4:03AM, Edited March 22, 4:03AM

I backed these guys on Kickstarter awhile back and after a bunch of delays, asked for a refund. It was disappointing but they did give me back my money very quickly. I'm glad to see the product is finally coming out, it seemed promising.

March 21, 2017 at 1:14PM

oh... finally someone came back to old ideas...
in the later mid 90' appair on market some small box called "photo backup" for photographer that allow you to backup your sd/cf card to a internal hard disk, at that times we talk about 40 gb, with a small lcd display to tell time of copy, free space and battery charge. it allow you to move around, shoot, backup without a computer, and shoot again.
i missed this kind of tool in recent years where we need more than in the start of 2000 the ability to backup easely and securely our shooting (photo and video), and if someone decide to resurrect and update this idea, i'm happy. at that time i had epson photo backup tool, but many producer like hp, epson, panasonic produce this tiny boxes (two cigarette box sized) to backup our photos.

March 21, 2017 at 3:46PM

Carlo Macchiavello
Director

June 19, 2017 at 1:33PM, Edited June 19, 1:35PM

I bought one and this is what I found out this far:
- When backing up some files fail to back up (in 573 files only 555 where backed up and you don't have an option to check if every single one got through)
- When scrolling through files in cards (both CF and SD, even files in Gnarbox drive), files change their place as I scroll witch makes it hard/impossible to select/view anything that contains lots of files.
- When opening a photo/video to see it and then you go back, you go to the beginning of the file list which makes it down to impossible to preview files and compare photos when you have to scroll all the way down again and the files keep changing their position.
- Thumbnail files jump from one place to another when you scroll up and down.
- Wifi connection doesn't work every time.
I'm sure this could be a great product with some updates but for now, it doesn't work as advertised.

June 19, 2017 at 1:34PM