July 5, 2017

DJI Finally Announces Ronin 2, With Controversial Price

While the price might seem high, the DJI Ronin 2 carries more than twice the weight of the MoVi Pro, which costs roughly the same.

MoVi and DJI continue to battle it out to be the leaders of the stabilized cinema camera gimbal market. MoVi has held on to the wave of goodwill from being the first to market and continue to push innovation forward. DJI has done well as the cost-effective option for indies that is still capable of tremendous performance. Hence, it came as a bit of a sticker shock this week when the price was announced for the DJI Ronin 2: $6,999.

The Ronin 2 is a huge leap forward over the Ronin, as we covered in our video at NAB. If the price seems high, it's important to remember it can carry a payload up to 30 lbs, allowing for full-fledged cinema cameras with a host of accessories.

The comparable MoVi, the $7,499 MoVi Pro, maxes out at 15 lbs, and you need to spend $19,995 to get your hands on a MoVi XL to carry 30 lbs. While 30 lbs is a lot of camera—you aren't likely to fly that much weight every single shoot—it's a nice option to have when you need it. Especially considering the options for rigging the unit to vehicles at speeds of up to 75 mph, the 30-lb payload will be very useful.

It's fair for DJI to pursue price parity with MoVi. DJI isn't an unknown upstart; it dominates in the drone universe. While it didn't manufacture the first stabilizer to hit the streets, DJI has worked hard to make the Ronin the premiere stabilizer for a wide variety of users.

If you are in the market for a stabilizer, the Ronin 2 will be shipping this fall and is likely worth the wait. It's available for pre-order at B&H.

Tech Specs

• Better stabilization with built-in GPS and SmoothTrak Algorithm
  • Built in 1000nit screen
  • Carbon fiber monopod frame with detachable grip and fold away feet
  • 30-Pound Payload Capacity
  • Stabilizes  up to 75mph
  • Detachable battery powers the R2 for 8hrs, 2.5 hours uptime, hot-swappable
  • Quick release
  • 2-axis mode for Steadicam
  • Redesigned dual-band remote, 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz
  • New software interface includes better Panorama function, time-lapse functionality
  • Camera Control for Select Cameras
  • Up to 0.6-Mile Control Range

Immediately Im thinking... yeah great, have fun buying a steadicam vest with a steadymate besides the Ronin. If you dont understand why, try holding 30 pounds in front of you :)

Will be a pretty steep price. Mights as well just mount the camera on a steadicam then.

But yeah for rigged gimbal work it might be fun. But wasnt there already nice solutions for that?

July 5, 2017 at 5:41PM, Edited July 5, 5:42PM

Torben Greve
Cinematographer

DJI just pulled a "Canon C300 esque" marketing mistake.

The Canon C300 was (and is) a great camera, but prior to its arrival Canon ran a huge marketing campaign (supposedly) targeting 5DMKII users. Well, the $15,000 price upon its arrival spelled a different story.

DJI should not have called this a "Ronin 2". Anything but that ...

The "Ronin 2" should have been an improved version of the "Ronin 1" with a similar, but perhaps somewhat higher, list price aka iPhone 1 -2 -3 -4 -5.

$7,000 leaves a sour taste in my mouth the way the initial pricing of the C300 did, and makes me dislike DJI. It's simply bad PR for DJI.

I was planning on buying my first DJI product, but now knowing how advanced this model is over the rest, I won't be buying any of them. DJI could have avoided this buy calling this unit a Ronin Pro and then subsequently releasing a Ronin 2 with some of the advancements at a more reasonable price.

July 5, 2017 at 6:15PM

Gomali

They will be devastated because you didn't buy something from them...

Kidding aside, it was very clear to me right when I first read about it, that the Ronin 2 will be much more expensive than any of the other models, even though I guessed it to 5K Euros. The max. pay load, the size and it's dry weight alone of 6kg puts it into a category that limits it's user base to a much smaller fraction of those from the former ones. When I read how much the gimbal itself is weighing I knew it's not for me. I find my Ronin-M already a bit bulky. This is not the gimbal for tight spaces, light traveling, compact setups etc.

July 6, 2017 at 2:50AM, Edited July 6, 2:50AM

This will put this in the rental arena for me.

July 5, 2017 at 7:58PM

Walter Wallace
Spokesperson/Entrepreneur

Did DJI forget it's a Chinese company??

July 6, 2017 at 4:04AM, Edited July 6, 4:04AM

K W

Price is the only problem.
but, hopefully it will drop, or I wish so.

July 6, 2017 at 4:23AM

Sameir Ali
Director of Photography

At that price point it seems to be clever to get a cheaper MoVi.

July 6, 2017 at 10:26AM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator

At this price better to rent it when you need it.

July 6, 2017 at 10:33AM

I think the comparison made in the article is not proper. Several notes to consider:

* Movi Pro is about 1.6 kg lighter than the R2(Ronin2). Think of Red's price difference between Carbon and Magnesium bodies; you need to pay thousands of dollars for a few gram saving. For aerial filmmaker, Movi Pro would be a better choice because of it's proven aerial performance and weight. (Horizon hold on aerial platform is just better than DJI's Ronin line).

* R2's competition is not Movi Pro or Movi XL, in terms of payload capacity. MoviXL has 50lbs payload capacity, which is written wrong in the article. It sits just in between. And Movi XL is definetely not handheld. It's a huge gyro head where you can put it at anywhere without thinking of camera and lens.

R2 could be used for aerial filming when a longer and heavier lens is needed. But Movi's ecosystem is more flexible in this field. Shotover U1 is very similar to DJI R2 in terms of payload capacity and weight. U1 has $72K price tag, which I don't wanna comment on it.

DJI R2's feature video is based on car rigging, cable cams, techno cranes etc.

IMO, price is reasonable with DJI R2.

Now, it's time for 5-axis small gimbals which will be the next revolution in the industry Freefly took the first step with Movi Carbon and for sure, DJI will follow it too.

July 6, 2017 at 12:14PM, Edited July 6, 12:14PM

ozkan erden
Aerial Videographer

We are getting very close to revolutionary steps in post stabilization that will starting reducing our dependence on gimbals. Just look up SteadXP and you'll see what I'm talking about. DJI and MoVi better eat it up while they can.

July 6, 2017 at 11:42PM

Derek Doublin
Director, Cinematographer, Large Scale Artist

I can understand the increased capabilities justifying a higher price but if you're not interested in those increased capabilities its like they just dropped the product line you were interested in, in favor of promoting a higher tiered one. For example, lets say all I was looking for was a car to get around town in with some room in the trunk for my bags. Maybe I'm looking at getting a honda civic but I know a new model is coming out that is going to be way better. Except that new model comes out and its the NSX and they want over a hundred thousand dollars for it. "But guys! Its just as fast as a super car and has all this new technology in the suspension and steering so the value is actually really good!" Thats great. Enjoy your budget supercar. All wanted was an economy car for city driving. Guess I'll be checking out Carolas." Moral of the story, I dont have any indie films on the schedule. I just film car events with a GH4 for fun so the Ronin 2 just isnt a product for my demographic. Shame that they're focusing on the professional market when so many amateurs are wanting a good gimbal these days.

July 7, 2017 at 10:47PM

mark b
Ameteur Film Maker

Yes Yes Yes! Here's to hoping we get a Ronin M 2 that will essentially fill that role. The Ronin-M is already better than the OG in some aspects.

July 8, 2017 at 5:18PM

Am I the only one who thought this was a direct rip off of the Movi ...including the promo video? ......

July 10, 2017 at 4:13PM