August 14, 2015 at 5:04PM, Edited August 14, 5:05PM

Aputure Amaran HR672W vs. Yongnuo YN600

So, I recently got both the Aputure Amaran HR672W and the Yongnuo YN600 and I just wanted to give my two cents, given the fact they are often matter of debate, especially among beginners who don't know which one to buy.

1) The Aputure Amaran HR672W comes with a much nicer package and accessory bundle. You get a nice carrying bag, two batteries, AC adapter with tripolar plug, a lamp bracket, a remote control, 1 CTO, 1 warming filter. The Yongnuo Y600 comes with 1 CTO, 1 warming filter, remote control, a lamp bracket and nothing else, not even the AC adapter, unless the seller is nice enough to put it in the package.

2) The Yongnuo YN600 has almost (ALMOST) decent barn doors, while Aputure HR672W doesn't have them at all.

3) The build quality seems better in the Aputure.

4) The light output is slightly more powerful on the Yongnuo, although the light looks less accurate (slightly colder) than the Aputure. I think the Aputure has a more accurate CRI and better light quality.

5) The remote control is better on the Aputure.

6) Yongnuo YN600 has a cooling fan that turns on very often, even in not so warm situations. It's not very loud but it can be a MAJOR flaw while shooting if the camera is anywhere near the light. I recently shot a short film and we were inside a big room, during a pretty warm night... well the fan went on after a bunch of minutes and never went off. That's one of the biggest issues one should consider before buying this LED light for cinematography. On the other hand, the Aputure has no fan, but flickers when it overheats. It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while it DOES happen, especially while using its diffusion filter (luckily it's not so useful), and the only thing you can do is stop and wait for the light to cool down.

7) Aputure has a tripolar AC adapter plug, while Yongnuo has a much more common circular plug. That's way better, I don't understand why Aputure went for that.

8) You can recharge your batteries on the Aputure while you're using the light connected with the AC adapter. You can't do that on the Yongnuo. Anyways, it's better to charge the batteries with dedicated chargers.

9) The Aputure lasts about 80 minutes at full power with fully charged batteries. In the same conditions, Yongnuo lasts about a hour.

In the end, I think I'll keep the Aputure Amaran HR672W, even though it's far from perfection. I'd like to have a mix of both (some Yongnuo features like the barn doors and the higher output power are nice) but as far as I know there's not better LED panel at this price point.

Hope this will help someone.

4 Comments

Hey David, Ted here from Aputure. You bet it does help someone! I'm sending this to our product manager now. We take these kinds of comments super seriously and you can expect some great changes to come as a result of a post like this.

Thanks for posting your feedback. If you ever want to make any more suggestions or have any questions, feel free to reach me directly at ted.sim@aputure.com

Cheers,
Ted

September 11, 2015 at 2:23PM

Ted Sim
Aputure

I'm reading this only now... it's a very cool thing you listen to your customers :) I will extensively use my Aputure in the next weeks, I'll write you if I have other suggestions. Thanks

January 20, 2016 at 9:20AM

David R. Falzarano
Director / Writer / Editor

Would you use both of them or would the color difference be too drastic?

April 11, 2016 at 5:55PM

Talus McKill
Director, Videographer

Oh I'm sorry, I saw your reply only now. I recently had to shoot an acting course and I used the Y600 as main light (I didn't sell it yet) and the Aputure as fill. They match pretty well and I managed to white balance pretty easily.

July 24, 2016 at 7:12AM

David R. Falzarano
Director / Writer / Editor

Your Comment