July 11, 2016 at 3:51AM

Is the Canon C300 really worth it over a Canon C100 + Ninja recorder?

Is the Canon C300 really worth it over a Canon C100 + Ninja recorder? I am wanting to shoot run and gun documentary shorts.

3 Comments

I have a GH4 and a SHOGUN. I love the quality of the 10-bit 4K it records. I love the large screen of the SHOGUN and its many features, including the waveform monitor, 2:1 focus zoom, LUTs so I can shoot in V-Log L and still meter conventionally, etc. But...the SHOGUN takes me far, far away from the "run and gun" realm, because it is bulky, awkward, and it adds a whole layer of complexity that is the enemy of run-and-gun.

There is much to be said for a well-integrated system with minimal extra parts. I would look carefully at workflow and ergonomics first. Yes, there's still quite a price difference between the two options you are evaluating, but if one makes your life wonderful and the other makes it miserable, you might find the price difference worth it. Or you might find that you can do great documentary work not in a run-and-gun style, but in a more controlled, slow-paced way.

July 11, 2016 at 6:33AM

For a doc I would rather go with the C100. It's just a camera made for that kind of film. The C300 is a cine camera. Everything else has already been said in countless discusions.

July 13, 2016 at 5:18PM

Eric Halbherr
Director, DP, Editor, Creative Storyteller

I use the c300 mark II for run and gun, you can rig it out to be pretty small and it works well on the move. definately recommend it over the c100 if you can afford it.

December 21, 2016 at 4:55PM, Edited December 21, 4:55PM

Walter Wallace
Spokesperson/Entrepreneur

Your Comment