December 31, 2016 at 6:58AM

Happy New Year! What our your goals for 2017?

Happy New Year NFS!
While I type this it is still 2016 on most parts of the globe, but New Zealand and the Shire ;-) are in 2017 now.
Let's make it an inspiring and creative year!
What are your dreams and goals for 2017?

2017 will be the year I'll go crowdfund for the first time to get my next short to the next level and get it into a few filmfestivals.

33 Comments

LOL, I can't spell AND I can't edit the title. Obviously, our = are.
Pfffffffffft, that was silly.

December 31, 2016 at 6:59AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Where do I start with the madness as a beginner?

Well, you asked, so let me indulge you with a brief snap-shot overview: hands-on experience is what I want so I can learn from my painful forthcoming mistakes. Let's face it we all have experienced those mistakes, but I just want to get mine over with as soon as possible ;-)

My goal in 2017 will be to find a position with the pros in the film world that will hopefully call me their own and include me in the pack.

Happy New Year y'all!

December 31, 2016 at 4:09PM

Happy New Year!
I always say 'fail fast, learn faster'. So at first you need to create your experiences and own opportunities. Go make simple stuff to start with and look for crews that need a few extra hands. Good luck and have fun!

January 2, 2017 at 4:02AM

WalterBrokx

You just taught an old dog a new trick e.g., "fail fast, learn faster."

Excellent (tenting fingers)
-Mr. Burns-

January 7, 2017 at 4:25PM

My goals are to put myself out there more in the film world and no longer hold myself back due to insecurities, my timid personality, or overall fear of failure.

January 2, 2017 at 1:51PM, Edited January 2, 1:51PM

John Haas
Cinematographer

Yeah, it can be hard to be confident when you are aware of your shortcomings. If you are aware of those, you are probably also aware of your strongpoints. Focus on them and make them even better. Look at the shortcomings and figure out what needs improvement and what can be easily be handed to someone else who compliments your shortcomings.
Life starts outside of the comfort zone. Be bold and make 2017 a great year! :-)

January 4, 2017 at 10:48AM

WalterBrokx

Thank you :)

January 4, 2017 at 1:15PM

John Haas
Cinematographer

I have been borrowing cameras from family and friends for years, but I am FINALLY investing in my own kit. So my goal for this year is to simply make money from my photography and videography.

January 2, 2017 at 10:19PM

Alex Crowson
Student / Video Padawan

Good luck!
With your own kit, you'll have all the freedom to achieve that :-)

January 4, 2017 at 10:50AM

WalterBrokx

Thanks a lot! It's just a little intimidating but I have been working hard on a plan and I'm ready!

January 5, 2017 at 3:21PM

Alex Crowson
Student / Video Padawan

I'm transitioning from working in graphic design and web development. I'd like 2017 to be the year that more than 50% of my work is filmmaking related.

January 3, 2017 at 5:14PM

Stephen Reid
Jack of all Trades

Good luck to you Stephen!

January 3, 2017 at 8:19PM

Alex Crowson
Student / Video Padawan

Good luck!

January 4, 2017 at 10:52AM, Edited January 4, 10:52AM

WalterBrokx

My goals are to keep learning about cinematography and theory so i'm always improving, and make some really cool short films.

January 3, 2017 at 11:04PM

Shorts are a great way to test your knowledge and turn it into skills and experience :-)
Good luck!

January 4, 2017 at 10:51AM

WalterBrokx

make this TV series i have on script and put it on TV and on an On Demand Platform. Social Commentary and i need money.

January 4, 2017 at 2:55AM

Wentworth Kelly
Director/DP/Colorist/Drone Op

Good luck!
An keep us posted :-)
(I guess we all need money ;-) )

January 4, 2017 at 10:52AM

WalterBrokx

Let my latest three films "run their course" and focus on saving $ and writing before I start my next self-funded project.

January 4, 2017 at 5:52PM, Edited January 4, 5:52PM

Mike Dorsey
Filmmaker, Producer, Director, Editor

Cool!
Can they be seen somewhere?

January 5, 2017 at 5:20AM, Edited January 5, 5:20AM

WalterBrokx

I've never been a risk taker, but this year I am going to start taking risks. But common sense risks. ;P

Good luck everyone!

January 4, 2017 at 6:36PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

Calculated risks are worth the risk :-)

January 5, 2017 at 5:20AM

WalterBrokx

Thank you for the encouragement! =)

January 6, 2017 at 2:28PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

You're welcome!

January 6, 2017 at 8:15PM

WalterBrokx

I just finished being DP for an independent feature film, which is now in talks for a distribution deal. I'm having a hard time finding the next gig though, whether it be narrative, documentary or commercial. If anyone from Chicago, IL can help me find my next project I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Demetri

January 5, 2017 at 3:52PM

Demetri Kouvalis
Director of Photography / Editor

That is always tough: when you are busy you have no time to land new gigs. When you are done you need a new gig 'now'. Never let your 'marketing' go to full stop when you are busy.
What feature did you shoot? I'm curious! :-)

January 5, 2017 at 9:19PM, Edited January 5, 9:19PM

WalterBrokx

To be less depressed when a conversation between filmmakers yet again awkwardly shifts into a prolonged discussion about new gear. It's really starting to get to me.

January 5, 2017 at 3:55PM

Jacob Floyd
Writer / Videographer

LOL!
It is easier to compare specs than having philosophical conversations about what actually can be seen on screen. Try the 'I don't care about gear. It's about what you create.' quote to steer away from that :-p

January 5, 2017 at 9:21PM

WalterBrokx

Do'h!

January 7, 2017 at 4:45PM, Edited January 7, 4:58PM

I bought some new gear last year and it gets the job done, but it is not be-all-end-all. At my age there's a learning curve and I have my concerns, too in this industry. The best I have to offer is to forge on and don't sweat the small stuff amongst your peers.

Onward and upward.

January 7, 2017 at 4:52PM, Edited January 7, 4:56PM

A few friends and I set out with the ambitious goal of making a short every month.

January 5, 2017 at 7:43PM

Jofre B. Beltran
student

That is cool!
Keep us posted!
I wish I still had that freedom. I can hopefully make 2 shorts this year.

January 5, 2017 at 9:22PM

WalterBrokx

I've been running a YouTube sketch comedy group called Bacon Bits for the past year and a half. While I think our content is pretty good, our social media outreach is lacking. A big goal this year is learning how to promote digitally, garner a larger audience, and potentially go the Kickstarter/IndieGogo fundraising route.

January 6, 2017 at 1:41PM, Edited January 6, 1:41PM

That sounds familiar! It isn't easy to reach an audience. Keep pushing and keep trying! (At least that is what I am doing: trying to figure out how to expand the reach as far as possible. :)
Good luck!

January 6, 2017 at 8:18PM, Edited January 6, 8:18PM

WalterBrokx

Your Comment