August 17, 2015 at 5:14PM

How to make a $1,000 Feature Film with Mark Duplass

Make a feature film for $1000? Sounds crazy right? Well if you don’t know Mark Duplass you should get to know him. Mark and his brother Jay Duplass are most widely know for making the indie film hits “The Puffy Chair” and “Safety Not Guaranteed.” Mark Duplass has gone on to be a very successful writer, producer and director.

Mark Duplass had a packed house for his amazing SXSW Keynote Speech 2015. He was spitting out Indie Film GOLD though out his talk.

http://www.indiefilmhustle.com/1000feature

4 Comments

You know, I just found Mark Duplass' keynote on YouTube this past week. I think I'll take that challenge.

December 1, 2015 at 6:23PM, Edited December 1, 6:23PM

Alex Chancey
Editor, Filmmaker

I watched the keynote. Really good! The $3 short film challenge, so easy, and could be so good as well!

August 22, 2016 at 8:36AM, Edited August 22, 8:36AM

Morten Furre
Director, Editor, Screenwriter

I get the idea here, and this might be a bit harsh, but is it possible that a $1000 feature and a $3 short are just covering up hidden costs? why would we (in the name of selling ourselves cheap) put only $1000 on the budget when that ignores the fact that people need full time jobs to support this, spent $10K++ of their own money on equipment, donated their time, were not reimbursed for gas, etc. etc.? there's no shame in putting on the balance sheet what a movie actually cost to make, it doesn't make you Michael Bay just because you bought the crew lunch.

September 1, 2016 at 1:34AM

Jeremy Kleider
Videographer

Duplass says in the keynote that a thousand dollars is variable. And I agree, if you can (and have to), put more money into it. I think the point he's trying to make is to get people off their excuses and just encourage people to make something, even if it costs more time, shooting on weekends and asking for favours than putting in a heap of money.

It's more about working your way up than being stuck in a mindset that says : "If I only had... Then I'd make a short/feature.."

The bonus of making something for almost nothing, is that if it's great, people will see that you are good at making the most out of what you have, and the end product looks like it was made for way more.

September 3, 2016 at 9:26AM

Morten Furre
Director, Editor, Screenwriter

Your Comment