October 30, 2016 at 1:47PM

Not a single word about the new FCPX 10.3 on nofilmschool.com

No Film School is one of my favourite sites. It's in my favourites bar and I visit it daily, and it is where I get most of my film/video news. However, if I were reading only No Film School I wouldn't even know that Apple launched a completely redesigned, and improved version of Final Cut Pro. There is not a single word about this on the site, and it's not like it's a minor update. That's weird considering that this is a filmmaking site and that all of it's readers use NLEs but not everyone uses Premier. I'm just wondering why this is the case, and I'm wondering what you guys think about the new update?

7 Comments

Either they forgot it or they don't value it as a professional NLE because its design is based on iMovie and also it's not very common among most filmmakers.

October 30, 2016 at 6:04PM

Eric Halbherr
Director, DP, Editor, Creative Storyteller

It's design is in no way similar to iMovie. When is the last time you've used either iMovie or fcpx? Also, three major Hollywood films have been edited with it already and Tsui Hark's films are edited on it. There is nothing that can be done in other NLEs that can't be done in fcpx.

October 30, 2016 at 7:49PM, Edited October 30, 7:49PM

Vlastimir Stevanovic
Filmmaker

pancake timelines?

November 5, 2016 at 9:20PM, Edited November 5, 9:20PM

This response is so predictable, dull and tiresome.

November 2, 2016 at 5:35PM

Angus McLellan
Film and Video Creator

pretend FcpX is "iMovie based" is totally wrong as a cliché.

If anything ... It would be the other way around . Randy Ubillos was working on the concept of a new century NLE when Steve Jobs asked him to develop iMovie 2011 first?. And he used what he had.

The recent update makes it a filmmaker tool with the "lanes" "Tracks on steroïds !"

October 31, 2016 at 2:31PM, Edited October 31, 2:35PM

http://nofilmschool.com/2016/10/final-cut-pro-x-gets-full-redesign-103

NFS isn't always the fastest medium, but they didn't forget ;-)

November 1, 2016 at 7:22PM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Thanks, WalterBrokx! We also discuss it on this week's Indie Film Weekly: http://nofilmschool.com/2016/11/indie-film-weekly-110316-podcast

November 3, 2016 at 12:29PM

Liz Nord
Editor-in-Chief & Lead Producer
Documentary Filmmaker/Multi-platform Producer

Your Comment