April 17, 2016 at 1:17AM

What do you want or expect to come out of NAB 2016?

So NAB is very very close, I'm very excited and i'm interested to hear what you guys want or expect to come from NAB (or 2016 in general from Sony, Canon, Panasonic, DJI, Adobe etc).

I reckon Sony will probably announce a successor to the F5 considering that its currently a poor investment considering the FS7 offers almost as much value and being considerably cheaper.

I feel this year is going to be Canon's last chance to convince us that they are still relevant in the DSLR market with cameras like the Sony Alpha mirrorless systems proving to have so much more value. Despite this, they are keeping up with their line of cinema cameras and I think they might announce the C500 mark ii considering the C100ii and C300ii have been out for sometime now.

Want I'd really like to see is DJI announcing the Inspire 2 that incorporates much of the advancements from the Phantom 4 and improving the camera even more.

I might compile and chuck all these thoughts in a blog post too :) (www.bendevelin.com/blog). But that will depend if I have time or not lol. Regardless.... What do you think you'll see at this years NAB?

10 Comments

RED has pre-announced their NAB 2016 position, which is essentially a rich ecosystem of 3rd party vendors making accessories available for their DSMC2 platform. I think this will be a watershed moment, not unlike when the IBM PC offered a standard hardware platform that enabled third-parties to create network cards, graphics cards, sound cards, IO storage cards, etc. In the past, RED's modularity was largely reserved for itself. At NAB 2016, we will see a whole new platform for innovative 3rd parties.

April 17, 2016 at 9:46AM

They lost business doing that, since their accessories weren't great and over priced. Good move for them to do.

April 19, 2016 at 9:22AM, Edited April 19, 9:22AM

A 10bit 6k camera producing RAW video with 15 stops of dynamic range for under $1000 would be nice! :p

April 17, 2016 at 2:19PM

Cary Knoop

It sounds like there won't be much in the way of any new cameras announced at NAB 2016, so don't expect anything new from Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, or Sony.

I expect to see Panasonic's new Varicam LT camera get a lot of exposure, along with Blackmagic's Ursa Mini 4.6K, RED's Raven and Scarlet-W, but not much else.

April 17, 2016 at 10:32PM, Edited April 17, 10:32PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I want to see any new Wireless video systems and prices. as of now this seems to be the best bang for your buck http://www.innocinema.com/actionproducts-eclipse-500-hdmi-sdi-hd-wireles...

would be nice to know if anything new is coming

April 19, 2016 at 7:55AM

This year hasn't been a splash

April 19, 2016 at 9:23AM

It's been okay. We don't need new cameras right now, anyway. The cameras available right now are extraordinary.

April 20, 2016 at 2:24PM

Alexandra
Videographer / Documentary Filmmaker

The new Video Assist 4k from BM looks interesting!

http://www.adorama.com/BMVIDEOAS4.html?emailprice=t&utm_source=rsys&utm_...

April 19, 2016 at 7:31PM, Edited April 19, 7:31PM

Cary Knoop

Apparently Canon will have a surprise at NAB. I know not many are exactly holding their breath, but a surprise is a surprise !
http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-to-surprise-us-at-nab/

April 20, 2016 at 7:58AM

Saied M.

There's a rumor floating around about a large Japanese company that had to push their big NAB event back to the IBC show in September because their big product wasn't ready to demo to the world.

April 20, 2016 at 10:01AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Your Comment