June 7, 2015 at 11:31AM

Which 5" Monitor? SmallHD 501 or Blackmagic Video Assist?

Hi. I saw these two monitors and don't know which one to get or which one to prefer. I want a good monitor, when I go out and shoot on daylight. I want to use this monitor which a (hopefully) 5D IV in the near future and now have a 600D. I'm no professional filmmaker, more a hobbyist - so which should I prefer? Do I need SDI? Which one would u take?

Here the SMALL HD 899 $: http://store.smallhd.com/store/501-monitors-bundles/501-HDMI-On-Camera-F...

Here the Blackmagic Video Assistant around 495 $: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/at/products/blackmagicvideoassist

18 Comments

Wait for the SmallHD 502, a month or so... HDMI # SDI with 3d LUT

June 7, 2015 at 6:58PM, Edited June 7, 6:58PM

Ken Horstmann
Director/Producer

The SmallHD 502 is already out. Why should I wait a month or so?

June 8, 2015 at 12:40AM

Great, didn't know it was out. You might want SDI at some point.

June 11, 2015 at 5:13PM, Edited June 11, 5:13PM

Ken Horstmann
Director/Producer

BlackMagic doesn't offer a loupe. That sucks and greatly reduces the value of the unit. You'll have to rig something up or wait for a third-party solution.

January 14, 2016 at 7:43PM

David Gurney
DP

You only need SDI if you expect to hook up cameras or extra monitors through SDI.
A 5D doesn't have SDI (never heard of a DSLR with SDI, btw), so you can do with HDMI only (SmallHD 501).
BUT you might want to be able to use SDI as well in the future...

The big differences between the 502/501 and Video Assist seem to be that:
- the Video Assist can record Prores/DNxHd
- the 502/501 has all the exposure and focus tools (zebra, false color, peaking, pixelzoom) while the VA has a histogram.
- the 502/501 has a 179 degree view angle. The VA around 135.
- the 502/501 is said to be color calibrated.
- the VA is said to ship in 1 month, the 502/501 is available now: this makes is hard to really compare. It's just a spec comparison.

June 8, 2015 at 2:56AM, Edited June 8, 2:56AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Most people aspire to shoot with more than just a DSLR.

August 26, 2015 at 4:54PM

Richard L
Camera assistant, DIT, DOP

That is why I mentioned you don't need it for a 5D, but might want to have the SDI option in the future. :-)

July 2, 2016 at 5:03PM

WalterBrokx

Oh, wow, downvotes for making a list of what I see as differences between the 2 monitors the OP asks about?
Better add to the conversation if you think something is wrong or missing :-)

July 2, 2016 at 5:07PM

WalterBrokx

What frustrates me about the Blackmagic Video Assist is that it doesn't have a 1/8" audio in jack. So, you're stuck with whatever audio is embedded in the HDMI or SDI stream. I think that was a big mistake on Blackmagic's part.

June 9, 2015 at 2:14PM

Dan Fredley
After Effects Artist

Easy answer. Both devices are native 1080p. But the Blackmagic VA is both a monitor and a recorder. The Blackmagic does so much more for much less money. SmallHD, you're calling that a "joystick"?? Lol. Having said that, let's see if Blackmagic can deliver anywhere near when they say they will.

August 9, 2015 at 4:47PM

What would you choose? SmallHD or Blackmagic? :)

*bump*

August 20, 2015 at 4:08AM

Amazed no one has mentioned the price difference. The Small HD is a potent little unit but the Video Assist is also 1080p in a small form factor, is significantly more affordable and offers pro res recording.

The only real issue is that Blackmagic Design are yet to release it.

August 26, 2015 at 7:12PM, Edited August 26, 7:12PM

If you are talking value for Money... Blackmagic Video assist it is.

September 5, 2015 at 1:02AM

Wentworth Kelly
Director/DP/Colorist/Drone Op

So I now own 2 smallhd monitors. The black magic isn't much of a recording unit because its missing too many features. What's the use in having an external monitor if you don't really know what your content looks like. The small hd is light, decently bright, not reflective, and has too many professional feature options to list. Also the mocked joystick is a very simple interface that makes navigation simple and fast. The biggest downside is that it doesn't tell you a better level. I also wish it could take the metadata through the HDMI and tell you when you are recording on the camera. Great monitor from a great company. Black magic hasn't won me over yet.

September 25, 2015 at 7:53PM

keith testerman
Video analyst

"What's the use in having an external monitor if you don't really know what your content looks like."

I don't understand this comment. It's a monitor... why wouldn't you simply play the content back on it from your camera or recording device?

January 14, 2016 at 7:41PM

David Gurney
DP

I've heard from many that VA doesn't represent colors well. Doesn't show detail in the blacks that are really there and doesn't show details in the whites that are actually there. Perhaps this is what he's referring to. I'm still trying to figure out if they added 3D LUT stream. If so I think I might sell my 501 for this little bugger. Save some money, and be able to record 422 10bit when I want or just record internal 4k If I really feel the need for 4k.

January 30, 2016 at 12:23AM

Just played with the Smallhd 501 and the BlackMagic Video Assist, as a monitor, go wth smallhd 501, I connected to the gh4 and send a color bar signal, the smalhd provides close color match where as the BMVA sucks still (although it's not contain many features with the latest updates), still far behind in color sampling...

March 31, 2016 at 11:57AM

Johnny Wu
Director, Producer, Editor

The above comment is the single most important factor. Accurate colour rendition. I'd go with his view...

December 11, 2016 at 10:13AM

Rupert S
filmmaker

Your Comment