April 23, 2017 at 6:48PM

Any thoughts on Nikon D7500?

I bought a D7000 way before I even thought about doing video and now I found myself in a situation where I do video professionally and I feel it's about time to upgrade to a new camera. The D7500 fits my budget but is it a good camera for someone who mostly shoots videos? I've heard very varying opinions so far. Should I go for Canon instead and buy an adapter for my lenses? Thank you for your answers!

3 Comments

Hi Victor
I am still using D7000 and works fine for me. Am also thinking of D7500. With the specs it seems really good. Nikon is good for its image quality which reflects on the video too. I always complained about the touch focusing in live view, focus peaking, exposer peaking etc., which you easily get in others. Nikons do not have it. Though D7500 has lot of new features for videographers but still Nikon needs to do lot. Removing one card slot, reducing the battery capacity, reduced resolution in Live View monitor etc. is not a good step. Flip screen, 4K vid, 50/60 fps at FHD, external recording etc. though a very good feature but still is way behind what Sony is giving.
Consider Sony Alpha series and mirror less, Panasonic GH4/5 before making your final move. Am waiting for 'hands on reviews' by some pros till I purchase one. This will happen once D7500 starts shipping. Considering price point D7500 is really attractive.
Lets hope for the best.

April 26, 2017 at 6:00AM, Edited April 26, 6:11AM

Dibyendu Joardar
Director of Photography

Hey! Thanks for your answer. I was thinkig about the GH4 because it does 4k and my Nikkor glass would be very adaptable. And the price of the GH4 has dropped since the release of a newer model. Do you think that a GH4 with adapted Nikkor glass could be reasonable?

Viktor Gubka

April 27, 2017 at 8:27AM, Edited April 27, 8:27AM

Hey there! Nikkor glasses are really good, specially the FX and the fast glasses. You must already have some collection of Nikkor glasses, use them. GH4 with Nikkor glasses will be reasonable in my opinion. Depending on your budget and what you want to shoot you will need the glasses. For most of shoots I use 50mm 1.8f prime on D7000. The result is really good. I cannot ask for more in that price bracket.

Dibyendu Joardar

April 27, 2017 at 3:32PM

Your Comment