February 8, 2015 at 3:17PM

Budget DSLR for shooting 1080p60?

Hi fellow filmmakers!

I've been working with the Sony Z5 for almost 6 years now, and I still like the camera very much. However, although it shoots great 1080p25 footage, I begin missing the option of shooting in 60fps/50fps more and more lately. So I figured it would finally be time for DSLR camera.

So far I really liked the Nikon D5300. It has great image quality, dynamic range and does pretty well in low-light situations. It basically has all the specs I'm looking for in a DSLR, but unfortunately it lacks an audio-out (which is something I find extremely important).

So do you guys have any tips on this? I've got a budget of €1500 (about $1700) for the body and one or two lenses.

5 Comments

The Nikon D5300 does not have a headphone jack, but you can monitor audio by connecting a HDMI monitor with a headphone jack to your camera, and plugging your headphones into the monitor.

I discovered this by accident when testing out a friend's Nikon D5200 with my Marshal monitor, and I am pretty sure the D5300 works exactly the same way. It's a nice bonus, as my old Panasonic GH2 camera never did this, so I was always "flying blind" when recording audio with it.

February 8, 2015 at 4:41PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Good to know! But it seems like an unnecessary extra struggle to monitor your audio... They should have just drilled another hole in the body for a headphone plug...

Robin van Bussel

February 8, 2015 at 5:31PM

It's silly, but you have to move up to the Nikon D7100 or the new D7200 (out very soon) to get a built-in headphone jack.

Guy McLoughlin

February 8, 2015 at 6:08PM

There's also the new canon 7D mk II I think thats in your price range, all the DSLRs really will mostly (unless hacked with magic lantern to shoot raw etc) will give a similar feel to it and look, here's a nice list I found with the DSLRs you're after (spec wise) and price range is listed too :)
Hope it helps!
http://snapsort.com/explore/best-DSLRs/24-months-recent-1080p-full-hd-60...

February 10, 2015 at 7:03AM

Thanks! I already did some research on the 7D mk II, but compared to the Nikon D750 (which is about the same price) it lacks some low-light performance. Plus I saw an article on no filmschool about a filmmakers package from B&H which includes the D750, 3 lenses, and an on-camera monitor for just under $4000. So I think I'll keep saving a bit longer so I can get a decent kit.

Here's the package if you're interested:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1120491-REG/nikon_13469_d750_dslr_...

Robin van Bussel

February 12, 2015 at 4:52PM, Edited February 12, 4:52PM

Your Comment