March 15, 2017 at 9:37AM

Camera and Lens Recommendation for $5,000

Hi Guys,
I am a one man shooter who makes corporate videos and documentaries and I want to invest about $5,000 in a Camera and lenses for my video projects. I live in West Africa so I really need to get a system that works well.

I was looking at the Canon 5D MK III and lenses (Sigma Art Lenses: 50mm, 85mm) and Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.

I look also at the Nikon D810 and the Fujifilm X-T2 mirrorless camera but I'm not sure I want to invest Nikon and Fujifilm lenses. I can always rent the High End Cinema Cameras.

Your recommendations would be much appreciated.

2 Comments

There are several features that make the 5D3 an outstanding photo camera: large sensor with many megapixels, great dynamic range than can be exploited by processing RAW images, and outstanding autofocus capabilities that make still photos look great.

Using Magic Lantern software (and voiding your Canon warranty) and an enormous amount of media, you can transform the intrinsic goodness of the 5D3's stills features into a pretty good video platform. But if you use the video functionality that ships from Canon, you get a pretty mediocre result: a line-skipping algorithm that delivers one of the worst 1080p results in terms of aliasing and moire compared with other DSLR and mirrorless cameras, a video dynamic range (and color gamut) that is also in the bottom half, and the worst of both worlds in terms of focus: extremely short-throw lenses that are difficult to focus manually against a sensor that will pick up all your focusing errors perfectly.

There are other platforms that are much more video- and videographer-friendly in that price range. The GH4 (and soon to be GH5) doesn't quite have the shallow DOF of the Canon, but it really scores well in virtually every other metric. And you can buy manual focus Voightlander lenses that open up to f0.95 (which is an f1.9 equivalent in 35mm focal lengths).

If you can find your local Magic Lantern (ML) community in West Africa and can find friends who can help you navigate those waters, the 5D3 might be a great choice. If not, I would recommend looking at other options that could be cheaper, lighter, and better.

March 16, 2017 at 9:11AM

Many thanks, Michael.

Timothy Edzeani Doh

March 16, 2017 at 1:56PM

Your Comment