September 7, 2017 at 1:35AM

Canon Rebel T6i vs Nikon D5300 for entry level photo/video

I am looking to purchase my first DSLR (or any camera suggested) to sharpen my filmmaking skills. I edit on Premiere and have always produced my work (short films & music videos) using awesome DPs. I'm looking for something budget friendly ($500-ish) to start with. I figure I'd practice with this and just invest a little more on solid lenses and a few lights after awhile. A few google searches have landed me to two different cameras; Canon Rebel T6i and the Nikon D5300. Things I am looking for besides an overall good image:

-Performance in Low Light
-Slo Mo shooting (at least 60fps) *which may weed out the Canon?
-Good photos for Photography
-Great Lens choices
-4K would be great! But I know neither of these go pass 1080p (unless anyone knows one that's somewhat around my budget?)

Again, I am open to any other cameras but so far these are the two that I have come up online closer to what I am looking for considering my budget. Thanks in advance!

9 Comments

If you really want to sharpen your filmmaking skills, start buy buying a light kit. Get to where you can make a scene look cinematic on your smartphone. Then you are ready for more advanced camera stuff. In my experience, starting with a fancy camera, but with no lighting, exposes you to a tiny, tiny corner of the filmmaking world. The awesome DPs you edit footage for will probably tell you the same.

September 7, 2017 at 12:52PM

You voted '-1'.

Thanks Michael. I agree that lighting is very important. I have no problem going that route. But I do want to get better with my education on shutter speed choices, lenses, etc. I doubt I can do this on a smartphone?

A Williams

September 8, 2017 at 12:08PM

I've used a Nikon D750 very little for video and I'm almost a Canon guy, so I'd go for Rebel T6i. I think it is the better choice for video anyway and good enough to keep you in the path of learning. I've never personally used these specific cameras so I cannot give further advice. Have you ever considered other options? I bought a Sony a6000 almost a year ago and I'm under the impression that you can get a much better image from it than any Canon DSLR in that range. For me it is a great camera, I've used it as a B-Camera to a Canon C100 under controlled lighting environments. Just a thought.

September 12, 2017 at 9:36AM, Edited September 12, 9:36AM

Ulises Bravo
Filmmaker, DP

Hum ... "... i'm almost a Canon guy..." be careful putting yourself in a "brand box" ... also just to throw it out there, I have used the D750 and the C100 extensively .... they have different strengths and feature sets .... but I find myself using the D750 7 out of 10 times compared to the C100 ...

Michael Silvey

September 12, 2017 at 1:41PM

Thanks for responding. I've heard the Sony a6000 overheats pretty easily? But will check it out

A Williams

September 20, 2017 at 3:20AM

It comes down to what works best for every specific project and I think that there's nothing wrong to have a personal preference for certain brands/equipment for whatever reason there is. It is all about choosing and mastering tools for your craft and you have to choose a few. I made my choice, but that doesn't mean that it will work for everyone nor everything out there. I've used many cameras for my projects: from Canon XL1, Panasonic DVC100 and Rebel T2i to RED Epic Dragon (including Sony and Nikon cameras), and as you've said, all of them has (or had) their own set of strengths and weaknesses. In the end, I just share my point of view and what has worked the best for me so far, but again, I'm not pretending that it has to work that way for everyone. On the other hand, I'm curious to know why you prefer D750 over C100 as I'm always open to give things a view from a different perspective.

September 14, 2017 at 8:59AM

Ulises Bravo
Filmmaker, DP

In this situation, it is more about what lens system you want to invest in. I think there are more professional video cameras with EF mount than have Nikon mounts. I'd say if you are going to purchase a camera system, and therefore lenses, get the ones that will be the easiest to adapt to your next camera.

September 14, 2017 at 1:06PM

Matthias Claflin
Videographer

Thanks. Makes sense. I guess going with that and what Michael said up above, educating myself on lenses and lighting is something to also focus on.

A Williams

September 20, 2017 at 3:22AM

I currently use the Canon C100 with a Canon T3i for wedding shoots. I would even recommend going with a Canon T3i over a T6i (save some money that you can invest in lighting and lenses instead) and be sure to download the MagicLantern hack. Super easy to do and really opens up that camera to a whole new world of possibilities.

That being said, I'd suggest buying a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens for the canon, it is the only lens I use on my C100 and it is typically pretty cheap compared to a similar lens. The Canon 24-105 f/4 for instance retails for $1k but is slightly softer than the Tamron which typically goes for $500. You can definitely find it cheaper used though (I bought mine on B&H used for $350).

Matthias Claflin

September 21, 2017 at 8:40PM

Your Comment