September 28, 2016 at 2:18PM

My DP Shot My Short Film in 29.97 fps

I like the story, shots and performances but now I cannot submit to a lot of if any international film festivals outside North America. Anyone knows the optimal way to deal with this issue. Already in post and I cannot reshoot. I assumed he's know to shoot in 24 fps since it is a film and not a music video. I'm heartbroken but I know I will have to voice it.

3 Comments

If you are using Adobe Premiere Pro, then create a sequence using frame rate you want for the final exported movie and just let Pr add or drop frames as needed.

In Final Cut Pro Cinema Tools, reverse telecine from 29.97 to 23.98 then up to 25. That way you will have no dropped or repeated frames or pulldown artifacts.

September 28, 2016 at 2:45PM

Your prospect is not good. Going from 30p -> 24p is nasty whatever method you wind up using. Reverse telecine only works if it was originally recorded in 24p and telecined to 29.97.

24p to 25p is not a problem.

September 28, 2016 at 6:12PM

Cary Knoop

Well... Reshooting is not the best solution for this.
Put your 30 fps footage into a 24 fps timeline. It will automatically transform. Do a right click on your clips and choose "Speed". Select one of the calculating options how the footage should be transformed. Render it. Done.
Probably the best way to handle it. You could also do the same if you re-decode it. Just choose the framerate you want and render it in max. quality.

October 3, 2016 at 6:15AM

Eric Halbherr
Director, DP, Editor, Creative Storyteller

Your Comment