April 8, 2013

Blackmagic Goes 4K with S35 Global Shutter Sensor for $4K, and a Pocket Cinema Camera for $1K!

We've all been speculating that this year's NAB show would be a major one in terms of new cinema-style cameras at incredibly low price points. After Blackmagic Design shook up the cinema camera world last year, the market seemed destined for another company to swoop in an steal the BMCC's thunder. However, a photo of two brand-spankin' new Blackmagic Cinema Cameras has been leaked, and it's definitely real. It appears that Blackmagic has done it again, and their thunder is locked down in a vault that would leave even Danny Ocean and his team of 13 stumped. Check out the photo below for the limited details that we have at this point.

Jim Geduldick posted this on Twitter:

For those of you having a difficult time reading those fuzzy little letters on the boxes, here's what they say:

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

Compact 4K camera with large super-35 sensor, global shutter, Ultra HD and 4K support, built-in SSD recorder, touch LCD metadata entry, compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes recording, Thunderbolt and EF lens compatibility, Includes DaVinci Resolve and UltraScopes.

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Ultra-portable super-16 digital cinema camera with super wide 13 stops of dynamic range. Super 16 sized 1080p HD sensor, built in SD card reader, High resolution LCD, ProRes and Lossless CinemaDNG RAW recording, Active Micro Four Thirds lens compatibility, Micro HDMI monitoring with Overlays.

There are some really significant bits in this photo, the largest of which are the full-size sensor and the considerable upgrade in terms of resolution. Plus, a global shutter on a camera in this price-range is absolutely unheard of, the nearest competitor likely being the F55. I'm also highly intrigued by the phrase, "Compressed CinemaDNG RAW" recording. If Blackmagic has managed to considerably shrink the size of their DNG RAW frames, this camera will likely prove a much more affordable option for shooting RAW due to the amount saved on data storage. Overall, this camera looks to be a serious production tool with serious production features.

The Pocket Cinema Camera looks to be another interesting release. At a price that competes with low-end DSLR's, and with cheap SD cards as a recording medium, the camera is well-positioned to be the perfect entry level cinema camera for folks who couldn't quite afford the original BMCC. Not to mention that it has some seriously potential as a crash cam on higher end productions. Lastly, there will be an official announcement tomorrow regarding these cameras (and NFS will have awesome coverage of it, of course), so keep your eyes wide open and your ears peeled, because it's sure to be an exciting day.

To me, it seems pretty clear now that Blackmagic means some serious business when it comes to manufacturing cinema cameras. But what do you guys think? Do these new cameras have you excited? Let us know in the comments.

Link: Blackmagic -- Super 35 4K production and s16 pocket cam -- Jim Geduldick -- Twitter

This is a game-changer (again!). I'm a committed Digital Bolex supporter/purchaser, and it offers some important advantages over this new BM compact, but this camera will definitely be in every DP's jacket pocket. It doesn't offer the frame rates of the Panasonic GH3, it doesn't offer the flexibility of interchangeable lens mounts and XLR inputs and all the other features of the D16, but as a second/third/whatever camera, as a tool for journalists? man, it's the cats pajamas.

April 9, 2013 at 11:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I simply don't know how they do it. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Last year's camera has many issues that caused people to take a second look and turn away - impractical, sensor size, files too large etc.

Now Sony spends a fortune designing the F5 / 55 and it wows you - incredible reliable camera - top marks in everything - RED too. Now this camera comes up and does the same thing - sort of? Yes it has addressed sensor size, battery life and some other issues, but still something just doesn't make sense. For 1/7th the price???? Let's wait until the hype is over and the reality sets in. There has got to be a catch somewhere. It simply doesn't add up. You've heard the phrase - "i'm from Missouri". OK, until then, I'm from Missouri.

Take 5

April 9, 2013 at 12:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I'm both excited and shocked at the news- excited about the Black Magic's cameras and shocked at the shortsightedness of the big companies who employ marketing experts who perhaps cannot see beyond their nose. I was talking to a camera retailer this morning in London who told me that it was only the second day from the announcement and they have already received a number of enquiries and pre-orders for the product.

April 9, 2013 at 12:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tas Khan

Digital Bolex, Ikonoskop, Pana GH3, Black Magic, who next, too much for the 16mm cake

April 9, 2013 at 12:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sarah

If the price is right 4 the 4 K cam its not much $$ as a digital bolex........hot

April 9, 2013 at 7:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sarah

This is really exciting, I am actually planning to go higher than the 60D that I have used for more than 2 years now, the announcement of blackmagic 4k is worth waiting for. Can you guys please advice me as regards those things that will be needed along with this camera to actually shoot a movie for a low budget producer like me. I need your suggestions as regards the cheapest rig and other things that the camera will need in order to shoot a good feature film.

April 10, 2013 at 1:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sola

The cheapest rig would be basically exactly the same as the costs required beforehand for a BMCC, just look around. Heaps of info on that.

However you would need to spend more on storage and have a gruntier computer for post processing.

April 10, 2013 at 4:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Is it me, or does the Mini Black Magic Camera look just like a Sony NEX? ;)

April 10, 2013 at 4:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Heiko

I'm both excited but saddened by Black magic's pocket cinema camera.
You see, I was debating wether to get DSLR that shoots video + accessories or an actual video camera for my actual semi pro use.
As I read on forums, it seemed that the pocket cinema would have been perfect for my budget and use, but then again, when I read that I had to pre order it and that Blackmagic had been really bad on respecting deadlines with last year's model and had it confirmed by one of the retailers I contacted it totally scared me off. Too bad, this would have been perfect! If only they were easier to get!!

April 10, 2013 at 2:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Flora Langlois

You can pre-order the BMCC 4K and the Pocket cam at Rule Boston Camera. Just mention Mike sent you. Our list is small so the odds of getting one sooner are much higher.

April 23, 2013 at 6:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

It's really a nice and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

July 17, 2013 at 1:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I totally feel you on wannitg to cut into other people its defiantly not a goal of mine either. That is great you are all about helping people in their everyday lives that is something that is a great trait and takes a wonderful strong person to do. Good luck in class : )

March 21, 2014 at 10:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM