September 2, 2014

This 4K XAVC Camera May Be the Sony FS700 Replacement

Sony FS700 Replacement 4K XAVC

The image above recently appeared on a Chinese filmmaking website that shows what looks to be a brand new 4K camera from Sony with internal 4K XAVC, two XQD card slots, and a full-auto mode, because no cinema camera is complete without one. Labeled as an XDCAM model, it looks to be borrowing heavily from ENG cameras, in both form factor (EVF and shoulder pad) and in button selection and placement. The servo lens on the camera looks to be the 18-200mm, which would mean that this is an E-mount camera, just like the FS700. Sony Alpha Rumors has given this rumor its highest rating, and says this camera should retail for $10,000 or less.

There are reports that it may feature 180fps and may even have RAW support (like the FS700), and it could feature the same sensor as the F5. If that turns out to be true, it would put the F5 in a strange position feature-wise, especially since it's capable of 4K, but Sony has not enabled it. Either way, this is all still speculation until we see more, but it's pretty clear that 4K is going to be the standard with these cameras from now on, and the under $10K segment is going to get even more crowded with solid options. It will be interesting to see what Canon has up their sleeve as a response to a camera like this. There is no doubt a 4K camera is coming in this range from them, it's just a question of when.

It doesn't look like it has a Slow motion button like the fs700 though

September 2, 2014 at 3:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Laurence

S&Q is on the top left.

September 2, 2014 at 3:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

alex

I have a feeling Canon may enable 4K HDMI out on C100-C300.
What do you think? No internal 4K or RAW 4K but still enough?

September 2, 2014 at 3:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Archie

I would love it if Canon would just do an internal recording version of their cinema line (excluding the 1DC, of course).

September 2, 2014 at 3:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Coty

agreed, keep it simple and lightweight in the camera body

September 2, 2014 at 10:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Prices are dropping everywhere. Hopefully, this means a reasonable 6K camera for a high end acquisition that resolves to 4K (rather than a 4K sensor that resolves to ~ 3.2).

September 2, 2014 at 4:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Reasonable 6K? You mean in like in 1 1/2 years? I'm still watching the 4K parade. And am anxiously waiting for more 6K cameras. I cannot afford a Red 6K. But seeing how beautiful it is I want 6K. Maybe the GH5, or GH6 will have affordable 6K.

Beautiful samples of Red 6K. I cannot see from this why some complain about Red 6K color science:

[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhHRIeXEwQ ]

September 2, 2014 at 7:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

geno

Reasonable 6K means (to me) a new line of 5.5-6K cameras (~ 20 MP total) in the $25K-30K range currently occupied by F55 (and a little higher Red Dragon) with pro level 4K cams dropping below $10K and that's basically what we're seeing already ... well, the sub-$10K 4K models such as BMD URSA, AJA Cion and this FS700 II. 6K (that resolves to 4K) can't be far behind.
By the way, it ought to be pointed out that Zeiss is releasing two photo-cine lenses in the most popular 35 and 50 mm sizes in the FE mounting - manual, high quality and declicked.

September 2, 2014 at 10:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

At least they managed to recycle a few half - Discman covers on the back of it. Pass that saving on to the consumer Sony !

September 2, 2014 at 4:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ben

That was funny. I thought the same thing but sadly I don't think many youngsters in here know what you're talking about.

September 2, 2014 at 7:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anthony Marino

Wheres the c100/c300 form factor? When I heard that I got excited then saw this. I'm positive it'll be a great camera till the 6k F6 comes out. But really once again it seems like canon has the form factor down, now let's see how they choose to answer. 4k compressed codec plus internal RAW 120 fps in a c500 body under $20 grand. They would own the market. I'm just tired of these big beast cameras, one thing about Red they got a great little package, wish other manufactures would get a great design and fill it up with all the goodies. Things about to get interesting.

September 2, 2014 at 4:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anthony Marino

The tiny little packages are great until you need to spend the price of the camera to get it to sit on your shoulder for run & gun or ENG work. If its sitting on a tripod who cares how big it is, especially if it helps balance weight between the lens and the battery pack. I think we sometimes forget what a film camera looked like and weighed...

September 2, 2014 at 5:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Now come on, getting a C100/300 to shoulder mount isn´t the price of the camera again. It´s not a DSLR. But getting a FS700 to C-Series form factor is just not possible...

September 2, 2014 at 5:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

BearWithMe

They might seem completely different, but the specs show otherwise. I just wish the FS700 had a built in shoulder mount. Would much prefer that form factor. An inch longer isn't really going to make or break most shots.

FS700 Dimensions: 5 x 4 x 7 5/8 inch

Canon C300 Dimensions: 5.2 x 7.0 x 6.7 in

September 2, 2014 at 7:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ted

Maybe I'm over thinking a bit, I have the fs700 and use the c300 on occasion, though their dimensions may share the similar specs, I'm way more comfortable shooting with the c300. Plus it's just a more robust camera. Price wise nothing beats the fs700/7Q image however I do wish and hope the new fs series is built better.

September 2, 2014 at 7:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anthony Marino

Oh I agree, the FS700 layout is certainly not the best out there. That being said, I'd be happy if they moved it more towards an Alexa form factor than a C300... just not quite as big as an Alexa.

I merely thought the specs were interesting because, by appearance, one would think the FS700 is much larger than the C300, but it's actually not. It's just an oddly designed camera. (I own one as well.)

Great, but odd.

September 2, 2014 at 8:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ted

So what we saying about rolling/global shutter!?

September 2, 2014 at 4:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Matthew Kerins

Rollin rollim Rollin I'm sure

September 2, 2014 at 5:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rollin

They see me rollin', they skewin'...

September 2, 2014 at 6:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

alex

Kinda resembles an old Sony Boombox

September 2, 2014 at 6:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Zan Shin

Surely it will be crippled so as not to encroach too much on F5's territory - or it will be priced the same as an F5.

Looks like Sony saw the URSA and Cion, and this was their answer. Same size and general shape. Similar specs.

I always thought the FS700 just needed a new housing and the internal recording capabilities that you'd get from an Odyssey 7q. Sony may have salvaged all their old stock/parts from the FS700 and just found a new way to package it.

September 2, 2014 at 8:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ben Howling

Looks gargantuan.

September 2, 2014 at 8:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

tony

to everyone here and in the URSA post that keep complaining about camera size...may god help you and your little weakling arms if you ever end up working with anything Panavised or with a real cinema zoom lens. You guys just need to work out a little more. Grab a 435, some ronford baker sticks, a gear head, and do a few laps around the block. These cameras won't seem so big after that.

September 2, 2014 at 9:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

nahnah

I'd just like to see a great camera that shoots ProRes or RAW internal. That's one thing BMD has going for them.

September 2, 2014 at 11:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Clayton Arnall

Let me throw it on my shoulder with no rig, a built in evf, built in xlr inputs, 10 bit internally, 4k internally, and slow motion at $10k. I own 2 ex3's and a bm production camera. I want to just throw the specs and hardware from the production camera in the ex3 body. Hopefully the fs 700 markii can do that and more.

September 3, 2014 at 3:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Caleb

the best thing to improve the FS100/700 was to remove that top plate LCD.
Still using the GAIN button rather than an ISO wheel is crap though.

September 3, 2014 at 6:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tulio

ENG style camera bodies definitely have their niche in Broadcast News but I'd really love it if all camera manufacturers started modeling their products after the C100/300. That said this FS700 redux looks very nice. The buttons, while small, appear to be placed in readily accessible areas.

September 3, 2014 at 7:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Matthew Reis

Panasonic just announced a 4K/60p camcorder for $3,500. It's sort of an improved/updated Sony Z100 but for $2K less ...a year in electronics.
BTW, I can see why Sony is delaying the new A99 II until 2015. It'll probably coincide with the 4K 5D MK IV and both will deliver something close to FS700II but in a DSLR style body.

September 3, 2014 at 12:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

I loved the FS700 - with a Metabones adapter it was amazing - but the monitor put me off shelling out. Not so here, so I'm likely buying one of these. 180fps. Nice. Hope they improve the chip sensitivity, or at least reduce the noise.

September 3, 2014 at 10:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

It will be $9995.
It will do at least 120fps.
It IS the F5 sensor - its nowhere near as robust as the F5/55 body, nor does it have some of the LUT capabilities of that line. The F5 hack has disrupted their release strategy a little.
Canon will start leaking their version shortly but huge heat issues with the C shape you all seem to love (ergo the C500s heatsinks). So it currently looks a little different....
I would argue (and have done for a while) that 2015 is the year for 4K. If you can hold your cash until then, you'll be very happy at your choices.

Re the ENG shape - its still the preferred design for 90% of major (25 cams+ per order) camera customers. They want shoulder mount out of the box.

All you 6K heads - see you at NAB 2016. You'll be very happy.

/one more thing - this camera, and the F5 hack, is why Arri released the 4K upres for the Amira. Not because of new customers, but from second thoughts/complaints from EXISTING customers...:-)

September 3, 2014 at 2:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

Well, 6K44K (got to love the catchy slogans) is already here with the Dragon and F65. It's only a matter of the next bandwagon jumper. Will ARRI really wait until 2016? Right now, they're scrambling with their "3.2K UHD" campaign.
BTW, speaking of the heat issues - the newly announced $3,500 Panasonic 4K camcorder has a dual video engine to get up to 60p in 4K (@150 Mbps). Surely, if they can contain it in a relatively small, lightweight body, Canon can match the feat with its $10K+ C300/500 replacements.

September 3, 2014 at 11:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Keep in mind bigger sensors produce more heat for both the sensor and related hardware. It's easier to do higher resolutions and frame rates on smaller sensors, which the Panasonic is.

September 3, 2014 at 11:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM