Level Any Camera on Any Surface with the Modular Camera Goat Slider

Just about every slider has its limitations, like length, leveling, and load capacity. But the Camera Goat aims at making them a thing of the past.

This unique slider system, designed by Jeffery Garland in what's pretty much a one-man-band kind of operation, allows filmmakers to level virtually any camera onto any surface thanks to its sturdy construction and modular design. Most sliders are utilized using tracks or tripods that 1.) are expensive, 2.) lock you into a limited length, and 3.) often don't function well on harsh terrain, but the Camera Goat's design will let you shoot virtually anywhere. Its independently leveling legs allow you to shoot on everything from solid ground to craggy mountains -- even underwater, and its modular design lets you to add as much length as you need.

Here's a video to explain how the Camera Goat works:

And here's a quick demo so you can see this thing in action:

Indie filmmakers need tools that are not only affordable, but flexible enough to be used in as many shooting conditions as possible. That's what I find interesting about the Camera Goat -- this thing can be set up on stairs, hills, pretty much anywhere where you need your camera to be. You won't need to mess with a hodgepodge of tripods and dolly track, either. (Trying to level a slider that uses two  tripods with at least 5 different adjustable parts each can get really, really frustrating.)

Garland is currently offering all three Camera Goat kits, which range from $2500 to $3500, at 15% off right now in order to keep the cost down (though temporarily) as well as to get the word out. However, at its normal price, this is no small investment. (That's the price of manufacturing in the U.S., people.) Knowing that there are plenty of budget sliders out there that are more compact and offer smooth camera movement for a wide range of camera sizes and weights, (I have an affinity for edelkrone's pocket stuff), I imagine those who will throw down $3K for this slider are heading out on some bumpy terrain. If you primarily shoot indoors or on (mostly) flat surfaces with cameras that are relatively the same weight/size, save yourself some money and go with a cheaper slider (shopping carts and skateboards work sometimes, and they're free). But if you're shooting on some gnarly surfaces, you might want to take a closer look at the Camera Goat.

If the price (even at a discount) is too expensive, Garland is also renting out these sliders with a try-before-you-buy option, meaning that if you rent it and decide that it's the greatest slider since -- the sliced bread slider -- he'll put the rental costs toward the purchase of the unit.

Check out the Camera Goat website to see if the slider is right for you and your projects.

You Might Also Like

This rig kicks ass.

July 16, 2015 at 6:01PM

This rig kicks ass!

July 16, 2015 at 6:02PM

This is an amazing tool, and I am really happy to have it in my kit.

July 16, 2015 at 6:02PM

Love the design of this slider. Being able to easily slide the legs in and readjust the height is really something I've always wanted.

July 16, 2015 at 6:42PM, Edited July 16, 6:42PM

But you can't do low angle push-in and pull-outs because the damn legs are sticking out right in front of your camera. $3000 yet i can only do lateral tracking shots.

Just take my money, and don't put this on the market

July 18, 2015 at 12:07PM

The Camera Goat offers any size legs. If you wish to do Z axis moves you just need to run our low mode legs. We understand our product is so new that its hard to understand but once you try it i assure you your mind would be changed from being a hater to a believer.

July 18, 2015 at 4:02PM

Director Of Photography

Lorenzo thanks for the comment. Im reading into things but Im guessing you have worked with other sliders that use tripods or combo stands. Im also guessing you know how tough it is to move other sliders around and the hassle involved with getting things leveled quickly. That is the main reason I designed the Goat! I hated sliders that used stands and tripods! In my work, one day im on an IMAX and the next im on a DSLR. I wanted and needed a slider that set up in minutes, leveled on any terrain and could handle any camera. That is when the Goat was born! If you ever want to rent or demo a unit just let me know and ill hook you up.

July 18, 2015 at 6:21PM

Director Of Photography

My girlfriend keeps reassuring me it's not the length of the slider, but how you use it.

July 16, 2015 at 11:23PM

Charlie your girl friend sounds like a very wise camera woman! Four feet, 6 feet, 8 feet etc, it does not matter the length as long as you get the money shot!

July 18, 2015 at 6:27PM, Edited July 18, 6:27PM

Director Of Photography

Amazing what people are willing to pay for a modified skateboard.

July 17, 2015 at 5:09AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

Jerry its funny you say that because my first model was a modified sk8 board. The model we are offering now is our 5th generation. Things have been tested and tested from some of the top cinematographers in the industry to make sure this is a unit you only purchase once and it grows with you along your career. We understand the cost is high but anything that is precision made in the USA costs more then your own DYI stuff.

July 18, 2015 at 4:10PM

Director Of Photography

hey jesse, you dont happen to work with garland...oh wait you do.
like jerry said, overpriced skateboard with 65 bucks worth of stuff from home depot. No thanks.

July 17, 2015 at 6:22AM

Abe I understand people love to hate things they do understand. Im sure you can go out and get a sk8 board and some 2x4s and then your able to get a shot. I say that because that is where we started 4 years ago. But when you put a HomeDepot DIY project next to the Goat you will see we will out preform a cheap home made unit every time with set up, stability, and functionality. The Goat is not for everyone but for those who need it they love it! Cheers!

July 18, 2015 at 4:17PM

Director Of Photography

it sure kicks ass but its price sure kicks my wallet's butt ...

July 17, 2015 at 7:28AM

Jas Singh
Cinematographer, Editor, Producer

Jas thanks for the comment. The price is high right now but that is because all our parts are precision made parts here in the USA. Once our production runs get larger and larger the cost will drop and we will pass those savings along to our customers. If you ever want to rent or demo a unit just let me know and I would be happy to send one out.

July 18, 2015 at 4:19PM

Director Of Photography

"A modular slider that was afordable"
-3,500$

July 17, 2015 at 7:39AM

Jules Maussion
French Indie Filmmaker - Photographer

Jules thanks for your comment. Affordable is in the eye of the beholder. When you compare it to a Fisher 10 dolly its affordable but if your used to using DIY sliders that you can build yourself then maybe its out of your reach. I dont own a RedDragon camera but i rent one because that is all i can afford to do. We rent units all of the USA so before you just write something off due to cost I suggest trying the unit and then make the call!

July 18, 2015 at 4:26PM

Director Of Photography

I Didin't saw that under this point of view
+1 for you and good luck with your awesome slider,
hope I could buy it one day

July 19, 2015 at 9:00AM

Jules Maussion
French Indie Filmmaker - Photographer

The only innovation here are the adjustable brackets. Everything else is no different than what other companies have for half the price. (rigwheels)
I don't see anybody buying those kits for those prices. What they need to do is just sell the brackets for $250 a piece and people can ad them to what they already have.

July 17, 2015 at 8:25AM, Edited July 17, 9:10AM

Tony Rodney
Film Maker/Editor

Tony thanks for your comment. We understand there are sliders out there that are far less in cost and they perform the same basic function of moving the camera. But when you work with large cameras that are all built out you then understand how the Goat out performs all its competition. We offer our brackets or (barbriges) as single buy items. That way people can have a precision slider that levels easier then tripods and combo stands for a lower cost.

July 18, 2015 at 4:33PM

Director Of Photography

This reminds me a little of the Dana Dolly...

July 18, 2015 at 8:23AM, Edited July 18, 8:23AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Guy thanks for the comment. The Camera Goat is similar to the Dana but it has some key features that make our unit stand out from theirs. First off we have safeties on our tray so your camera will not topple off the rails. Second we have a brake on all our units so when left unattended the tray will not slide off the end and destroy your gear. The biggest difference however is the Goat uses independently leveling legs thus eliminating the need for 2 tripods or 2 heave combo stands that are both expensive. By using independent legs our slider is more adjustable when leveling and is more stable.

July 18, 2015 at 5:27PM, Edited July 18, 5:27PM

Director Of Photography

$2500-$3500 will buy me a real goat, mule and a Lama too.........!

July 18, 2015 at 11:02AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

Jerry i see you know a ton about animals and their costs but Im curious how all that helps you get precision shots with a slider? Maybe you know something im missing but real world problems often lead to real world solutions. The Camera Goat was designed to adapt to any situation and handle any camera from IMAX to GoPro. So if you ever want to stop playing Old MacDonald give me a call and i can get you a Camera Goat to add to your petting zoo:)

July 18, 2015 at 5:35PM

Director Of Photography

It's a joke.............! Don't take everything so literally. I've gotten along fine for over 45 years and now I'm using I'm using a powered slider that I put together for around $50 bucks.
Would you like to see a clip?

July 19, 2015 at 3:21AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

OH!........and by the way.......I'd love to see an image of your goat carrying a 3D IMAX. LOL!

July 19, 2015 at 5:49AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

Jerry I like to poke fun just like the next guy but very curious why you leave 3 negative comments and say your not interested in our stuff but yet you keep coming back to leave more comments. Something brings you back and that something is the power of the GOAT! Good luck with all that you do and keep making things happen. Cheers

July 19, 2015 at 12:27PM

Director Of Photography

I like the adjustable legs on this rig and the ability to use different length rails. The cost is prohibitive for me, but I'm sure some can afford it. Maybe offering just the fixture for the legs would be an marketable item that people could use with their existing sliders. Best of success to you with this product!

July 19, 2015 at 8:34AM, Edited July 19, 8:34AM

David Patterson
videographer/editor

Dave thanks for the comment and the advise. We do offer our parts individual to allow people on lower budgets to gain access to our system. Once we are doing large volume runs the cost will drop. Until then we are just trying to get the word out.

July 19, 2015 at 12:23PM, Edited July 19, 12:23PM

Director Of Photography

Excellent, I would like to order one leg please.

July 20, 2015 at 9:12AM

I think the design is brilliant and the price is realistic for how versatile it is. Nice heavy linear bearing sliders cost twice as much and are limited to 4 to 6 feet. And yes you can do push ins if you use short legs in front or use an apple box.

November 24, 2016 at 9:01AM, Edited November 24, 9:01AM