September 5, 2014 at 6:31PM

A7S now, or wait for FS700MKII / AJA CION?

Our shop is looking to get a new A-cam or a solid B-Camera for the meantime to shoot alongside our FS700+O7Q.

Hoping to fly it on the Ronin and 4K is a top priority.

Does anyone have any recommendations or info on release dates for the upcoming AJA Cion?

I understand the FS700 MKII is probably not going to show up for a while but it looks enticing from the leaked photo.

14 Comments

Owner of an A7s and an FS700 here. I think the A7s could serve as a fine B-cam for you, but would leave you much to be desired if you are comparing it to the (theoretical) FS700 mark2. I imagine there will be a huge price difference as well.

September 6, 2014 at 1:59AM

Ty
Cinematographer, Editor, Director

Certainly the A7s isn't going to replace the FS700, but it does make a good bcam, as it's decently easy to grade alongside the FS700.

Do you think the CION is going to be better than the FS700+O7Q? What are you shooting that needs more than what that combination can offer in terms of IQ?

September 6, 2014 at 2:22AM

Alex Smith
Documentary/Cinematographer

Its more about being able to shoot something of similar quality on another shoot if our A-Cam is booked.

September 7, 2014 at 12:32AM

Trevr Merchant
Cinematographer | Editor | Colorist

I assume as long as what you are shooting isn't fast moving, you might be able to get by with the A7s, using crop mode to help with rolling shutter. Slog blends well with the FS700 and you can use the same lenses.

September 8, 2014 at 3:18AM

Alex Smith
Documentary/Cinematographer

Remember the AJA CION is probably meant to have the same sensor as the BMPC4K so I suspect it would have very poor low light capabilities.

This may not be a dealbreaker for you, but it is something to consider.

Of course the A7s is at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to low light!

A7s is a much cheaper camera, and so it really good value. It is also much smaller, which will make it a very good complementary camera if you get a FS700MKII / AJA CION later on.

September 6, 2014 at 4:17AM

David Peterson
Wedding Cinematographer

There will always be an amazing camera rumored to come out "soon". CION looks interesting, but we really don't know much about it beyond the info at NAB. FS700 Mark II is still just a rumor with a couple of photos. Not saying it's not happening, but I wouldn't base many purchasing decisions on that.

If you're in need of a b-cam now, I say get the a7s now. If the CION or new FS700 comes out next week, you can still sell the a7s for close to what you paid for it, or keep it as a specialty low-light camera.

If you're not in dire need of a b-cam, then no worries—waiting is always on your side these days when it comes to camera tech, if you can afford to wait.

September 6, 2014 at 10:10AM

David S.

Just remember that the A7s output for 4k is only 8 bit - and especially if you plan you plan to use Slog2 then there a lot to work with to bring your levels back. On the 700 you have 12bit to the 7Q and a minimum of 10bit when using the superHD. So its a big difference when trying to get your grade right.

September 6, 2014 at 10:55PM

Scott Selman
Content Creator | Filmmaker | Producer

That new Sony, which is NOT the FS700 mk II, is going to be announced in a few days, on the 12th.

The nice thing about the a7S is that it's so cheap, even if you replace it soon it will still come in handy as a low light camera. So win-win.

AJA says that the Cion will have 800iso. WAY less than the a7S, obviously. But a stop better than the very heavy Ursa. And the a7S has around 3 stops of dynamic range over the Cion. Considering the low price, not a bad interim choice, even with the odd form factor, rolling shutter issues, and minimum iso of 3200 (or is it 3500?) when using S-log. You're going to need NDs.

But wait until at least the 12th to decide.

September 8, 2014 at 4:14PM

Scott Ressler
Director of Photography

Base iso for the a7s is 3200.

September 16, 2014 at 8:42AM

Namar Burton
Writer-Director-Cinematographer

I'd like a GH4 with the low light capability and full frame sensor of the A7S. Or and A7S with the internal 4K and touchscreen of the GH4.

September 8, 2014 at 5:17PM

Kyri Saphiris
Filmmaker

Thanks for all these great answers. I have become accustomed to the hit and miss responses from r/filmmakers and this has been very refreshing.

September 11, 2014 at 1:03PM

Trevr Merchant

I guess you have seen the news about the Sony FS7 now? I'd say there is your answer! ;-)

September 13, 2014 at 7:33AM

David Peterson
Wedding Cinematographer

Yep! That would be the go to. We don't have the cash right now to pick one up. Instead we will be building a ronin rig around the a7s. Should make for a formidable b-roll set-up.

September 17, 2014 at 2:03PM

Trevr Merchant

I would make sure you're happy with the rolling shutter performance of the A7S before committing to building a Ronin rig for it. So far I haven't seen the A7S used this way.

September 25, 2014 at 10:44AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Your Comment