December 27, 2016 at 9:09AM, Edited December 27, 9:09AM

Any recommendations on Sony a6000 gear/software/accessories?

I picked up a Sony a6000 for myself a few weeks ago and was wondering if anyone had anything they recommend for this camera. I've looked up batteries, mics and lenses but just wanted to see if anyone had any software, tips, pointers and etc about this camera.

I've owned Canon 7D, 80D, SL1, Panasonic GH4, G7 and a BMPCC in the past but this is my first Sony and my only camera. I'm a bit of a minimalist so don't want a ton of a gear just seeing if anyone had any suggestions. I'll most likely be shooting short films, cinematic type shoots. Thanks.

2 Comments

I would recommend a adapter for the mount that you have the most lenses of (seems to be EF). Also some batteries are not a bad idea. 4-6 extra should be fine.
The EF lenses are great to shoot video because they have mechanical focus transmission. But they are not so great in terms of auto focus. If you want to shoot some sills as well get at least one Sony E-mount lens (like the 24-70 f/4.0 or 16-35 f/4.0).
There are some cages for the a6000 but I don't think that is absolutely neccessary for that camera. It depends on how you prefer to shoot (with rig, gimbal, tripod etc.).

December 28, 2016 at 2:04AM

Eric Halbherr
Director, DP, Editor, Creative Storyteller

Thanks, just ordered an EF to E-mount adapter. I used one of these on my GH4 with my EF lenses and really liked it. I didn't realize those adapters existed for E-mount cameras, thanks again.

January 3, 2017 at 6:48AM

ben solo
Director

Your Comment