September 9, 2014 at 6:22PM
Hi No Film Schoolers! I have almost 1k to spend on a new camera. I know that there is no one perfect camera and I really hate to post a question about gear, but I feel like I've hit a brick wall and I can't figure out what camera is right for me. That being said, I will tell you what I will be doing with the camera so you can help me decide which will be best for me.
1) I shoot weddings. This is VERY important. I need something that does fine even when it's not the best lighting conditions.
2) I recently got a good external mic. so I don't need the most amazing in-camera audio. (Although good in-camera audio would be a nice extra.)
3) I will use this for short deadline passion projects, so it will have to be something good for run and gun or at least something I can rig up for run and gun.
4) I am a hobbyist photographer and it would be nice to have an all in one solution. Otherwise I will have to buy a used Canon DSLR for photography and have two separate cameras.
Cameras I am considering:
These are the cameras on my mind.
1) Blackmagic Pocket- I love the RAW and Prores, but am slightly worried about the size of files it will pump out.
2) Panasonic FZ1000- I feel like the GH4's is just slightly too high for me, so if I'm looking at 4K and slow motion without the signature GoPro fisheye, this is the camera. I would love 4K to correct when I don't have the perfect framing and for down sampling to HD. However, I wouldn't have RAW or Prores and I'm really concerned about being stuck with one lens that can never be changed. (Although the built in lens seems fairly nice.)
Let me know if what you think! One of the two cameras or am I leaving off an important camera?