September 1, 2016 at 10:53AM

Canon C700... another late release?

So here I am to bash on Canon again ;) supposedly they are releasing the EOS C700 in the near future at a "reasonable" price point of $30,000 (also supposedly?) and when I saw this I had to scratch my head...

C700 (no external modules)
15 Stops of DR
60p @ 4k
120FPS (lower res)

$30,000

RED Scarlet-W
16.5 Stops of DR (22 maximum?)
120FPS @ 4K
240FPS (lower res 2k)
RAW Internally
$18,000-20,000

And then I go and look at the Raven which is almost the same with some resolution differences but costs ballpark $12,000. So what is Canon thinking right now?

Maybe I'm too hard on them but I feel like this camera would've fit well 4 years ago or something.

5 Comments

Too late and (now) too overpriced.

September 1, 2016 at 10:55AM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator

Canon cameras have always been a popular rental, so I suspect that the C700 may do well once people get a chance to work with it. ( the C700 reminds me of the Panasonic Varicam 35 when it first came out, and now we have the much cheaper Varicam LT option, so maybe in 2 years Canon will create the C700 LT )

September 1, 2016 at 9:42PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

As a RED camera owner, I have two comments about your portrayal of SCARLET-W. As a long-time Canon camera owner, I have one comment about the C700. I do agree with the conclusion of the OP, as well as the comments thus far.

1. The first comment about SCARLET-W is that the $10,000 brain plus the $5,000 base package configuration adds up to about $15,000, not $18,000. (The "handheld" configuration, with brain, is about $18,000. And more complex packages are obviously more expensive.)

2. As for DR, 16.5 stops of DR is measurable if you squint really hard (and have a Xyla chart), but the reality is that it's really more like 15 useable stops. Hard to know whether Canon is inflating their DR or it's really 15. The 22-stop number is based on the premise that one can use HDRx to extend the range by 6 stops. That is a stretch, for reasons that can be discovered by reading a number of threads on REDUSER.net. The practical reality of DR is that really, honestly, if you are shooting real productions on real cameras, you have a lighting package that gives you a sane 10-stop range on set, which makes 15 stops *plenty* for all sorts of fancy tricks in post. But the idea that an all-powerful 22-stop range makes motivated lighting a thing of the past is wishful thinking.

On the Canon front, they have largely solved the problem of autofocus--much better than RED. That's obviously irrelevant if you are shooting with manual-focus Cine lenses. But if you really, really need autofocus, it might be worth spending an extra $20,000 to compensate for weak eyes, weak hands, or both. But as 4K cameras go, the Canon C700 is definitely a lot of money for not nearly the performance of RED's current lineup.

September 2, 2016 at 9:06AM

Are Canon even trying to go after Red ? The benchmark is surely Alexa, where some Alexa specs are inferior to Red on paper and neither is that camera as cheap. Canon are entering the arena and like all things will hit some, miss some. It is perhaps just a matter of time before someone else says "I don't know why Canon bother with GH5 coming out soon." Andrew Reid is a funny guy though:-
http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/14224960_758541340951963...

September 3, 2016 at 2:00PM, Edited September 3, 2:02PM

Saied M.

Maybe this is for the DP's who don't want fan noise ruining takes, Clark. Specs aren't everything, if you had used more cameras in the field you would know this. A lot of people will be renting this in LA, and I suspect this will take over the Red space. Barely anyone likes to use Red around here, a lot of people complain the blacks are too crushed. The Alexa has a much more pleasing image.

This camera is aimed at Alexa, not red. In that case it is spot on, and if you opened your eyes past specs you would see this.

September 4, 2016 at 10:55AM

Your Comment