April 17, 2015 at 6:08AM

£10,000 Budget for a new Camera - IDEAS?

Hello! My producer is asking me to source a camera in the 10 grand budget range.

I've been looking at a few cameras like the URSA Mini that will come out soon, but I need the camera to achieve certain specific things, such as:

- It'll be used to cover live events, with Broadcast cameras (like XDCAM type of cameras) on a multicamera setup with live feed playback on big screens

- An interchangeble lens system would be great as it will also be used to fulfil commissioned 'Arty' films that'll require the 'cine' look.

Also, durability, future-proof-ness, etc.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

4 Comments

It sounds like you are after two different cameras...

- Traditionally live events are always covered by ENG cameras with long parfocal zoom lenses that will hold focus over a huge zoom range, and are sensitive enough to shoot at night in dim light.

- For "serious" film-making we have large sensor cine cameras that are designed to capture a very film-like image. These cameras have very wide dynamic range ( 12 stops or more ) and record footage at very high data-rates to preserve the maximum quality of your image. They also use 4:2:2, 4:4:4, or RAW recording formats that can be greatly manipulated in post.

I think you have to figure out what type of filming is more important to you ( ENG or Cine ) and then go for the camera that best suits your needs. Or you could split your budget in two and spend half on an ENG camera and then spend the other half on a Cine camera, which would give you the best of both worlds.

April 17, 2015 at 6:29AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thanks for this, Guy.

I was thinking of splitting 50/50, but if I adapt a Interchangeable lens system (like the FS7) with broadcast lenses such as a 2/3'' HD lens or when required and shoot on a 'normal' colour profile during the events and SLOG when filming the more 'arty' films... would that be sustainable and would it be realistic on a multicam event?

April 17, 2015 at 6:49AM

The Sony FS7 does not have a crop mode, so using a 2/3" broadcast ENG lens would cover less than half the FS7 sensor even when using a 2x doubler. ( the doubler also reduces the resolution of the lens )

So unless you can find a long ENG style lens that can cover a Super35 sensor ( the $30,000+ and up lenses can ) I don't think the FS7 will be a good choice for live events.

You would be better off using one of the Sony or Panasonic ENG cameras for live work, and a BMC, Canon, or Sony camera for cine-style work. You can always use the second camera as your B-camera when shooting live events or cine-style work.

April 18, 2015 at 9:22PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I actually think the FS7 would be fine for live events, maybe not quite as good as an eng camera, but quite adequate. Go to the forum at DVXUSER.com, find Sony, then the FS7 section. There is a lot of discussion of zoom lenses there. (It's an endless topic of discussion).

July 12, 2015 at 5:45PM

Your Comment