December 11, 2014 at 4:15PM

Should I buy the C100?

I recently sold my 5D mark III and was planning to upgrade to a video dedicated camera. I do narratives/documentary in film school while I do events and music videos on the side to build my portfolio & some side money.

The reason why I want to choose the C100 is because of it's full package capability for run&gun work as well as filmmaking. (ND-filters, top handle, built-in XLR audio, great ergonomics overall compared to dslr videoshooting)

I've considered many other cameras (GH4, A7S, BMCC) but I would have to buy additional accessories when I already have to consider my other equipment. (Lighting, tripod, stands, etc.)

In my experience on kijiji/craigslist, people tend not to pay extra for a used camera with additional accessories so I try to keep my additional spending to a minimum hence why I think the C100 is a great buy even though it's a bit pricey; I can sell the camera out and not lose out on much in the future.

If you guys disagree with my thought process, I'm more than open to feedback. I have a few unorthodox questions about the c100. I would greatly appreciate some insight from this amazing community.

1. I'm planning to purchase a used C100 with 120 hours on it for 4000$. Is this a good deal?

2. How many hours of recording can I get from the C100 before I have to send it in for servicing?

3. Are there any other cameras to consider for what I'm looking for?

5 Comments

>>>1. I'm planning to purchase a used C100 with 120 hours on it for 4000$. Is this a good deal?

At this moment in time it's a good deal, but I strongly suspect that there will be a bunch of new 4K cameras announced at NAB 2015. ( May 2015 ) And this might include Canon upgrades to the C100 and C300 models, which would definitely push down the price of the older C100 model. If you can wait until May 2015, or buy something to get you by until then, I would consider it.

A Panasonic GH4 or Sony A7S is a fairly low cost investment, which you could always sell them down the road and get much of your money back.

>>>2. How many hours of recording can I get from the C100 before I have to send it in for servicing?

If it's used indoors and handled very carefully, I would expect at least a few thousand hours or more. ( I once saw a Panasonic HMC150 camera in perfect shape with 15,000+ hours on it, because it had ONLY been used in a low-budget TV studio )

>>>3. Are there any other cameras to consider for what I'm looking for?

Not in your budget range, but all this might change a lot by NAB 2015.

December 12, 2014 at 8:03PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thanks for the insight, Guy. NAB is definitely going to be important with the second generation of 4k cameras being announced. For the time being, I'm going to buy a used A7S for general work and sell it down the road before NAB comes. Hopefully clients don't judge a camera by it's size anymore.

Cheers!

December 14, 2014 at 3:20AM

Kevin Yu
Cinematographer

Yeah, wait until NAB. Six months ago I would have said yes, get it. It's a great, versatile camera. But NAB is going to see more options in that price range pop up, which means the C100 MK 1 price will continue to drop.

December 13, 2014 at 5:38PM, Edited December 13, 5:38PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

I hope you waited as the C100 Mark 1 is now 2999.00

April 3, 2015 at 2:08AM

Clint Montgomery
Director of Photography

There will always be another camera down the road. I do not see a camera as an investment, but as a tool. Who buys a new car for an investment? You drive it off the lot and you just lost $10k-15k Cameras are like that. If you can wait to buy, then maybe what you have is good or you are not doing anything.
Buying a camera like the Sony a7s is a poor investment, but a great tool for video production.
If you are trying to impress clients, impress them with your skill.

April 3, 2015 at 6:27PM

Your Comment