October 6, 2015 at 8:21PM

Sony A7S II or Canon C100

Hello,

I'm owning a Panasonic GH4 and love shooting with, but i'd like to have another camera. I shoot most of interview/documentary hands-on.

I love the Canon C100 for it's XLR,Build in ND, EF Mount.
For the Sony the 5 axe,King in low light,

What will you recommend me

1 Comment

Where to begin?

If you are planning on buying a second camera so that you can shoot alongside your GH4, you should consider either a second GH4 or a DVX200. Trying to match two consumer-grade cameras is an exercise in frustration, and if you don't match them, you will quickly find yourself degrading your "better" camera to match your "bad" one. (Why? Because much of what makes a camera "bad" is that you cannot push the image around very much, whereas part of what makes a camera "better" is at least some flexibility.)

If you are planning on getting a second camera because the GH4 is letting you down when you follow your subject outside, get something with built-in ND, such as the C100-or the DVX200 and give yourself the option for a two-camera shoot.

If you are planning on getting a second camera because the GH4 is letting you down when you follow the subject into room so dark that neither you nor the subject can see clearly, look at the SONY. But, be advised that the SONY A7S II has not yet been released, and until people have had a chance to really put it through its paces, there is NO TELLING what bad might come with the expected good.

Panasonic's V-LOG L implementation is not getting a lot of love over on dvxuser.com, so do not expect it to be a "get out of jail FREE" card when it comes to matching cameras. The Panasonic look is unique to Panasonic. Ditto SONY. Ditto Canon. Getting these looks to play well together is going to take lots of time, practice, patience, and will probably cost you a client or two before you get it sorted.

October 7, 2015 at 4:48PM

Your Comment