May 12, 2016 at 10:29PM, Edited May 12, 10:33PM

Sony FS5 vs Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6k (Best $6000 camera?)

I am looking at getting a new camera right around the $6k range. I have sort of narrowed it down to 2 options and would like some opinions or other better options. The two options I have narrowed down to are the Sony FS5 and the Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6k. This would be mainly for commercial and corporate work. However, I am also looking at filming concerts (both performances and backstage), events (like weddings), and other promo videos and what not.

I kind of have a pros and cons list of each going that I will share a few of the top things, but still just can't decide.
Sony FS5: Love the size and feel of it, battery life, better at low light.
Don't love the complicated menus.
Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6k: Love the images it puts out (so cinematic and can be graded nicely - but also has video mode), love the menu simplicity and accessibility (more so in the new os upgrade).
Don't love how it's not great in low light AKA not as run and gun as some of the situations I'll need.

Those are clearly just a couple of my thoughts. I have never used either, but I've used sony f5, f55, fs7, fs100, bmpcc, bmcc2.5k, bmcc4k, and others - so I have experience with the general feel of both the cameras. I'm just looking in this price range for a camera I can own to start getting more jobs (I'm jumping up from just owning a Canon t3i and using my schools equipment and renting stuff).

Any opinion or other suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

2 Comments

Hi Zach,

I'm going to give you the same answer I generally give anyone who asks the "which camera" question. I give this answer because I believe it is the most helpful-

Don't trust anonymous opinions on the internet. You need to talk to someone who understand exactly what kind of work you are doing, and the technology in question. Only then can someone legitimately boil down your criteria and offer truly practical and appropriate advice.

There's too much information to exchange to get to the heart of the matter for emails (and similar) without an awful lot of back and forth, so if you want you are welcome to call me at my office. I (and the highly technical folks I work with) answer this sort of question probably a dozen times each week.

My shop is also the only one (that I'm aware of) in the USA, where you won't speak to a commissioned salesperson for this kind of question, so no one will try to talk you in to anything or push you to make a purchase.

All the best,

I.

Illya Friedman
President
Hot Rod Cameras

May 13, 2016 at 3:22AM

Illya Friedman
President

The URSA requires much more extra gear to make it work and also needs very expensive CFast-cards. If you have the money you can use it but it's only good for narrative filmmaking like feature and short films.
But if you are more into all kinds of filmmaking it's better to have the FS5 because it's much more flexible than the URSA and far not as expensive to use as the URSA. And there is also the oportunity to record in raw if you want to.

May 13, 2016 at 7:58AM

Eric Halbherr
Director, DP, Editor, Creative Storyteller

Your Comment