April 19, 2018 at 12:52PM

sub $10,000 cameras

What camera would you choose today, in the sub $10, 000 market and why? Canon C200, Panasonic EVA1, Blackmagic URSA 4.6K or other.
I have a Sony F5 but, thinking of selling it and getting a, possibly, smaller, lighter weight camera.

Just wondering if any of you would care to voice your thoughts.

13 Comments

Obviously it depends on your shooting style. I have a C100 and wouldn't trade it for the world. The c200 looks really neat. I love the depth of the Canon ef lens market and hate adapting lenses to fit other mounts (as I've had problems with aperture control) and the dual pixel autofocus is too good to give up for me.

That being said, if I didn't have my super obvious Canon bias, I'd probably lean toward the Sony FS5 or FS7. That's just me.

April 20, 2018 at 5:50PM

Matthias Claflin
Videographer

Thanks for your input. The C200 might be a contender. I was leaning toward the URSA mini 4.6 until I read the horror stories about the magenta sensors.

April 21, 2018 at 10:04AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

I have heard all kinds of horror stories when using BlackMagic products. For me, at this time, the brand hasn't shown themselves to be reliable enough to trust so the at least when it comes to my purchases, I'll stick to other options. I totally understand why someone would be concerned about purchasing a camera from them.

April 21, 2018 at 10:59PM

Matthias Claflin
Videographer

how many horror stories? Those Disappeared months ago plus there was a firmware fix. So please be specific as this is sorta of a damning thing to say. Many DOPs use it as B and C cams to Arri. So please enlighten me man.

April 24, 2018 at 1:05AM

Wentworth Kelly
Director/DP/Colorist/Drone Op

The bulk of it was magenta sensors and shutting down in the middle of a take, often unable to come back to life. Blackmagic being unresponsive. I'd be very interested to know these problems have been eliminated.

April 24, 2018 at 10:29AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

Having primarily used Blackmagic for years, I have absolutely no qualms with the image quality. In fact, I'm always surprised by people's complaints about the image quality. To me, the image quality is uncompromisingly great, in a very edit and color grade friendly format.

I think because of the price point, there's a lot of people who own Blackmagic cameras that just have no idea how to use them or grade them properly in post. So, you've got lots of bad looking footage out there misrepresenting their brand. The camera is very similar to RED & ARRI, except those brands only have experienced professionals using their cameras mainly due to their price point. It's interesting how price point can have a side effect on marketing and brand perception.

My real qualms with Blackmagic cameras are entirely ergonomic – compared to the EVA1 & C200, they're very heavy, unbalanced, and difficult to hold especially in run-n-gun situations. This can have a very real impact on the quality of the shots.

April 25, 2018 at 11:15AM

Michael Schmucker
Producer, Cinematographer, Animator

I appreciate your point of view and I want to love it but, the stories are out there. And it's enough to make me very wary of purchasing one before actually using it which, probably isn't part of BM's sales policy. Apart from the horror stories, the weight of the thing might be enough to keep it off my list.

April 26, 2018 at 10:26AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

EVA is good for me if you dont care about the look. cuz it looks cheap

April 21, 2018 at 10:51PM

Rh Oudom
Director / DoP / VFX

I was really leaning to the URSA mini 4.6 because it actually records a slightly larger image than a DCI 4K. The EVA1 is also on my list but, like you, I think it looks cheap, like a toy. On that subject, I strongly dislike the design aesthetics of the EVA and the URSA. I would like to say to Blackmagic, "Why are you trying to make your camera(s) look like a Maserati or like something Darth Vader would own". And to Panasonic, "Drop the red details on the EVA and get rid of the angles - it cheapens the look". I kinda feel the same way about the FS5/7, too. Sony got it about right with the F5/55. I just wish my F5 was smaller and lighter. Alexa, Red and, even, Kinefinity have the right approach. For me, anyway.

April 22, 2018 at 9:30AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

What does the external look of the camera body have anything to do with this? To me, the questions are 1) Is the image quality excellent, and 2) Is it usable in your workflow?

And let's be honest... Darth Vader would buy a RED. It's got skulls all over it, for crying out loud. Talk about dumb design aesthetic. :)

Having used and EVA1 in run-n-gun situations, it's lightweight and a dream to use. Except for the menu system... it's pretty bad. Again, something I can live with. To each his own!

April 25, 2018 at 11:30AM, Edited April 25, 11:34AM

Michael Schmucker
Producer, Cinematographer, Animator

True, Darth WOULD own a Red. Ha! Of course, you're right about what the external aesthetic of the camera has to do with it. My comment about it was just that, a comment. I don't like the way it looks but, if the image is right, not a deal-breaker. Thanks for your thoughts

April 26, 2018 at 10:20AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

If large CFAST 2.0 cards come down in price, then the Canon C200 looks like a winner. I just wish it had non-RAW 10-bit internal recording. ( RAW-lite is a very card hungry format )

April 22, 2018 at 9:08PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

With only single card cfast recording for 4k, no raw 4K output or internal 10bit, the C200 is not a contender for me. And, I know it has nothing to do with image quality or operation but, if I'm allowed to speak on the aesthetics of the camera body itself... it is the UGLIEST camera on the market.

April 23, 2018 at 10:18AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

Your Comment