January 27, 2015 at 6:22PM

Thought on my debut short film, shot on the fs100

Hey! Love this forum, thought some of you might take the time to share your thoughts on my debut short film, Last Broadcast.
Shot on the FS100 and Bower 16mm T2.2 lens in one day.
It's a story of an apocalyptic nature, with some what of a sci-fi / biocentrist twist.
Edited in Adobe Premiere with minor Film Convert color grading, some effects work in After Effects.
Home-made dolly put to the test on some shots! Worked great.
Hope to hear your thoughts, as I may turn this into a series!
http://www.vimeo.com/benfmeredith/lastbroadcast

10 Comments

Magnificent.

You had me going magnificent all the way through, and truly it was.

The meteor at the end is a small detail, it's true, but it left a lot to be desired. And yes, this is purely effects and aesthetics, but the coloring felt wack, and I myself would have had a mile-long tail, making it beautiful. But that's just me and my personal taste.

Story element, solid. Loved it. Plenty of beautiful shots that kept me engaged.

Granted, I am beneath you, I'm still working on my own debut short. But well done.

January 30, 2015 at 9:03PM, Edited January 30, 9:03PM

Torsten Pearson
Writer-Director-Editor

visuals were great, didn't like the VO text or delivery. I look forward to seeing your next project!

January 31, 2015 at 9:13PM

Andy Grover
Filmmaker

Ben, congrats on completing and publishing this production! Up to the second minute it had me thinking -- what would happen if this was true? I got chills. Then somehow this feeling broke apart. Thanks for the emotions -- I hope you can get better with practice!

Some notes:

- what is the theme? Love? You start with the vase that has ''love" and you end with "love" in the message, but outside of this I dont see any mention of "love".

- why are visuals the way they are? Up to 4:50 the visuals just as well could be about a broken heart patient getting over a break-up rather than about a human race going extinct. What do people think about when there is no tomorrow? From the visuals I could not tell.

- The handheld camera -- ugh. I have been traumatized by these back in the day, so I hope to see more tripod / slider / steady-cam shots. I.e. the camera move around 1:17 shows you know how to do a smooth camera move. So why not keep doing this for the entire production?
- What about the radio host choosing to say what they want? I feel that dialog line went nowhere.

Best of luck! Keep sharing!

February 1, 2015 at 12:59AM

Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

This is all such awesome feedback, thank you all! Exactly why I love this site.
Some answers or notes...
-The meteor...totally agree. This was done 100% self taught in After Effects. I should have spent a little more time on learning how to truly get it right, which is why I made it small, to fit into the shot in a more subtle way.
-Overall theme is that life goes on after our bodies do not, in some way, shape or form. I threw love in there as the overbearing emotion behind this theme; that the strength of love is what bonds our energy.
-Visuals are meant to be, well, somewhat bland. I wanted to directly contrast the VO, and show the very simple last day of a woman on Earth. That's why none of the visuals really "call out" extinction (until the meteor at the very end).
-Hand-held shots were really just to mix it up. They aren't for everyone :p. Thank you for the compliments on the smooth shots, though! Mostly were done with a tripod and a home-made dolly that seemed to work very well.
-Radio host dialogue in general...it's a little hit and miss on purpose. I wanted to portray someone who really is going off the fly, giving one last broadcast with a main theme on his mind but not entirely sure how to convey it.

I hope to do more! My potential plans are to turn this into a series, where we see a person/people's last day on Earth in contrast to a radio host's last broadcast, each different every time with different themes or ways of viewing the end of days.

Thanks again for the feedback!

February 2, 2015 at 12:42PM

Ben Meredith
Cinematographer/Filmmaker

thanks for sharing. Very good photography. Maybe too dark in some scenes. Good job in general :P

February 4, 2015 at 8:02AM, Edited February 4, 8:02AM

Ragüel Cremades
Film producer and director

Visually it was good. I think the woman's loneliness was captured really well. I asked myself questions about her loneliness, especially at the beach. This woman must truly have no one if she's watching the earth final moments alone on a beach. Or maybe the news of what to come was sudden and her family lives on another coast or continent and all flights were cancelled. No matter what the reason was she really looked like she'd come to terms with what was to come days before it happened. She had come to terms with being alone in the end. Sorry I don't have a lot of technical feedback if that's what you were looking for. I'm a big fan of subtext. Technical crap comes second in my eyes. I will say the voice over sounded out of place. It reminded me of the movie "The Island" or some other dystopian film where there are daily broadcasts over the loud speaker to keep the citizens in line. Other than that, nothing bad to say. Good thought provoking short.

February 11, 2015 at 6:11PM, Edited February 11, 6:11PM

Don Way
Writer/Director of Photography

Thanks Don! Awesome feedback, really appreciate it. I definitely intended for viewers to ask questions about why she is alone. You can see an out of focus picture on the nightstand when the phone rings of her with someone, boyfriend, husband, we don't know, but meant to tell she had a lover. What happened to him is also left for thought, to portray an "end of the world" scenario where you're just not sure what people might do or how they'll spend the last day.
I agree looking back on the voiceover, I wish it had been a little more obvious it was from a seemingly popular radio show. Next time ;).
Thanks again!

February 12, 2015 at 5:16PM

Ben Meredith

Could have used some lighting in the opening scene, in the house. I get the whole natural light look, but it was too flat and ugly. The idea is to make it look good and not make it obvious you used light, not to abandon the use of lighting completely. You have to massage the image to get it where you want. An example would be when she is pouring the drink, that harsh shadow behind her is ugly and isn't seen in professional cinema, unless it's on purpose and even then it would be nicer/prettier.

June 16, 2015 at 7:10AM

The link's no good.

October 29, 2015 at 8:02PM, Edited October 29, 8:02PM

David Gurney
DP

Sorry, updated my vimeo. vimeo.com/benmeredithfilms you should be able to find it in there listed as the same title.

December 8, 2015 at 4:01PM

Ben Meredith

Your Comment