March 25, 2015 at 8:45AM

You voted '-1'.

Which is the best Canon DSLR under $1,000 for Magic Lantern?

I'm buying a new camera to get started with making short films. My choice is either 600d or 60d, but I needed to know which Canon DSLR that costs under $1,000 is good for Magic Lantern application, considering factors such as card speeds.
And, any ideas for lenses? I'm thinking about starting with 18-55mm kit lens and 50mm prime.

18 Comments

I'm sorry that the same question was posted thrice. I got through a hassle with my internet connection and account conformation process with NFS. I don't know how to delete them, and I could sure appreciate it if someone teaches me how to delete these repeated posts.

March 25, 2015 at 9:28AM

Amogh Halageri
Director, Director of Photography, Editor & Screenwriter

The 60D is on sale on B and H photo right now for $479!! I think that's half the price of what it originally costs, so it looks like there trying to get rid of them.

March 26, 2015 at 4:33PM

Yes, $479 is a great deal on a 60D. I actually prefer my to the 5D MkII I also have. Works great with Magic Lantern.

March 28, 2015 at 1:10AM

If you're ok with not having a tilty screen and not having full frame, a used 550D is great.

March 29, 2015 at 7:26AM

Hi, Amogh.
I have been and still using two Magic Lantern'ed Canon 60D for basic corporate video shoots. Being it was released sometime ago, it doesn't need today's superfast SD card. For your budget, I think you can't go wrong with a 60D. Hell I'm still making a living with them.

March 29, 2015 at 8:15AM, Edited March 29, 8:15AM

Raya Fahreza
Freelance Corporate Shooter

Honestly--- the EOS M is a better bet for filmmaking than any other canon DSLR/MILC save for the 5DIII and the 7DII. It's got the same sensor as the 7DMk1/60D, has magic lantern, and most importantly, costs $300 for the camera + a phenomenal 22mm f/2 lens. It can also adapt bascially any lens ever made to the body, and the adapter for regular EF lenses with full AF/IS is a mere $45 now. It has a mic jack, and the touchscreen works really well with Magic Lantern. For $350 you already have a great lens *and* the capacity to use other lenses-- giving you more money for what's *really* important (lights, sound gear, stabilization, and lenses). You'd have to spend that much to get a body alone in most cases. The only *real* downside for video compared to other canons (since the OVF doesnt work for video on any of them) is the lack of an articulated LCD, but you can get around that.

In fact, I'd recommend just using the 22mm lens for a bit, and seeing what you can do with that-- it's equivalent to 35mm on full frame, a very versatile focal length.

March 29, 2015 at 9:02AM

Don't know the best, but buying 600D was a really bad choice I've done. Don't get me wrong, it's a good camera, BUT you're not going to have a good audio! I wanted to buy a mic, a thought that the Rode videomic would be good. I have borrowed it from my friend to test it, and the audio had a lot of noise, even after post production it was bad. I was searching and found that it was caused by something called AGC, and that I have to disable it in ML, and there is another problem, because in ML for 600D, there is no Audio card and no Audio properties, so you can't disable the AGC in 600D. Maybe it's possible with some of the nightly builds, but I'm too scared to install them, I've installed only the stable release.

March 29, 2015 at 9:21AM

It is not as straight forests as you think. Of you consider used one also 7D and 5Dmk2 is in your price range, and both benefit from magic lantn. You can shoot raw with them with fast cf card you can not do that with sd cards. I do not see pintin getting new 60D, moraly old camera

March 29, 2015 at 9:39AM

Ansis Imaks
freelancer

I have a t3i aka 600d. It works great with magic latern. I really like the flip out screen. I honestly don't think there is much difference between the 60d and 600d. When i was looking I think the 60d only had a few advantages over the 600d. The biggest difference being 60d has better weather sealing. I just Googled for a comparison and the other difference they mentioned was the 60d has a slightly faster shutter, which doesn't make a difference with video. Basically both are nearly identical when it comes to video functionality. If you can afford it and want the weather sealing get the 60d. If you are not that concerned with slightly better weather sealing get the 600d.

March 29, 2015 at 12:28PM

Joshua Reafsnyder
Independent Media Producer ~ VidPro.Biz ~

60D has the same imaging system as the 600D, so absolutely no difference in video capabilities. As above, the 60D is weather sealed.

However, the 600D has that articulated screen and, perhaps even more useful, has a non-image-degrading 3x digital zoom facility (in fact the image improves, as it uses a 1-to-1 pixel readout with no line-skipping, vastly reducing moire). This instantly doubles (at least) the 'focal lengths' available to you.

As far as I'm aware, the 600D is the only Canon VDSLR to offer this, which is mystifying.

March 29, 2015 at 12:48PM

600D, no question. Go to the Canon refurb shop on eBay and get it new for 30% off, fully guaranteed and checked out.

The Magic Lantern guys wrote the early the versions of ML for their own 600Ds, so it couldn't be more compatible. I've used ML on a dozen with never a prob. Great underrated camera.

March 29, 2015 at 12:52PM, Edited March 29, 12:52PM

Karel Bata
Director / DP / Stereographer

one thing to consider is power and batteries - 60D uses LP-E6 and run way longer, and when you upgrade you can keep the batteries because 6D, 5Dmk2 & 5Dmk3, 7D & 7Dmk2 all use the same ones.

March 29, 2015 at 1:06PM

Ansis Imaks
freelancer

March 29, 2015 at 2:56PM

douglas ferguson
Director/colorist/cinematographer

Want to have a 240mm with f1.8 for 100 usd, then choose the 600d.
The most expensive is not allways the best choise (for the user)

March 29, 2015 at 9:39PM

Pablo Damian Gallego
Producer / Inventor

60D is definitely the way to go. We picked one up for a second camera and since ML found a way to get a hold of more cache, we're now getting 8-9 seconds of 1728x972 instead of 7-8s of 720p, and the 720p raw averages around 18-20s. Throw cinestyle on there with some decent glass and it will produce some beautiful images for you most definitely.

March 30, 2015 at 10:24AM, Edited March 30, 10:24AM

Evan Buzzell
Director, Producer, MFCEO of SBS Media House

I'd buy a used T2i off of craigslist for <$300 and invest the rest into glass. Cameras lose value quickly where lenses do not and the T2i / Gh2 are the best cameras at that low price point in my opinion.

Check out Kendy Ty for proof that you don't need an expensive camera for a high production value:
https://vimeo.com/kendyty
https://vimeo.com/45977177

March 30, 2015 at 2:45PM

Robert M.
Director of photography

I have the T3i/600D, and have been using Magic Lantern for about four years now. As far as lenses, I use almost all M42 Screw mount lenses with cheap adapters. I have about 200 invested in some awesome glass. 29mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 35mm-105mm f/3.5 constant, and a Mamiya 150mm f/4.0 from the 645 camera system. They all have a slightly vintage look, but I love that. Note: these are all manual lenses so it takes some practice.

March 30, 2015 at 4:08PM

Robert Rock
Director, DP, Editor

THE 600D WITH TRAGIC-LANTERN. That's the best choice. With the 600d you have the same sensor than the 60d, 700d, etc plus you can have the crop sensor mode that allow you to zoom in the sensor without loosing quality. Tragic-lantern allow you to get a high bit rate up to 100mbps that will allow you to go further for the color grading. It very stable and I find it way better than the regular magic lantern. Ad to that VisionColor profile picture, the 17-55 f2.8 and a 50mm and you are ready to go! That's my kit and I'm very happy of it.

April 1, 2015 at 5:48PM

AvdS
Filmmaker

Your Comment