April 17, 2016 at 10:52AM

Who else has used the Sony A6300? What's your experience?

Hi all,
I recently bought the A6300 and am very very pleased with it. The video image is even better than my GH4. The 4K is very detailed and in low light it is at least 3 stops better than my GH4, possibly more. I am impressed! (FYI: I use the smallrig on it, plus an external powerpack, so the battery can't overheat) What is your experience? Could this be your A camera?

8 Comments

hey!
just got it
going to use on some shoots this week
what power pack are you using?
def sharper than my s7s mark 2

April 25, 2016 at 11:54AM

forest erwin
Cinematographer

I am using the Sony on the move powerpack, see the link below. It works well, I get some 3-4 hours use out of it. I think it also helps to reduce overheating, as the battery is now outside the camera and can't overheat. I did not yet see any overheating so far. (3 weeks of use)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Rechargeable-replacing-description...

April 27, 2016 at 9:47AM

Erwin Hartsuiker
CineVideo-NL videographer

loving it
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128526845@N06/26571367812/in/dateposted-public/

April 26, 2016 at 3:01PM

forest erwin
Cinematographer

Some encouraging words here. Thanks guys. I'm interested in the A6300 myself. Overheating is a concern as is the rolling shutter, but I'm used to DSLR shooting as well. Is this the main camera for you?

April 27, 2016 at 1:08PM

Bryan Tosh
Director of Photography

Hi Bryan, yes, the A6300 is now my main camera. I have used the Canon C100, BMPC-4K and GH3/GH4 before. My style of shooting is run-and-gun mixed with shooting on tripods for documentary work, and events/weddings, etc. The rolling shutter is only noticable when you do fast pans (which I avoid anyway, as they are ugly) or when you shoot a moving train (or other moving object) up close. It has proven to be no problem really. Overheating: didn't have it. The external power pack helps to reduce this problem. I do advise to use a small cage, like the small-rig. It makes the camera more rigid, and helps a bit in cooling. (more mass)

April 28, 2016 at 2:38PM, Edited April 28, 2:40PM

Erwin Hartsuiker

Erwin, THANKS so much for the reply. That is really good to hear. I've been hearing others utilizing an external power pack to help with overheating. I too like to have the option to shoot run-n-gun, love shooting docs as well as narrative films. The cage tip is a great idea, especially since she's so small. Really appreciate you sharing your experience with this camera. My camera choices are more difficult now. ;)

April 29, 2016 at 7:05AM

Bryan Tosh
Director of Photography

I heard the rolling shutter is really bad, to the point of virtually unusable for pans. Can anyone confirm this?

May 1, 2016 at 8:31AM

Cary Knoop

Hi Cary. I find, when shooting in the real world, the rolling shutter of the A6300 in 4K is acceptable, you hardly notice it, unless you do fast horizontal pans, or film things like trains driving by. In most situations you won't notice it. In 1080P mode the rolling shutter effect is actually very minimal and better than most mirroless cameras. But then again, I am using the A6300 almost entirely because of the 4K video feature.

May 25, 2016 at 2:56PM

Erwin Hartsuiker

Your Comment