November 20, 2014 at 7:22PM

Youtube videos appears Darker than Orginal unless played in HD 1080p

Hello! I am writing this post to see if anyone can help me on this. I just need your opinion and if possible, an explanation to the following:

the issue: YOUTUBE VIDEOS ARE DARKER THAN THE ORIGINALS

tTo do color grading has these things . A dude gets more picky with what one sees. And after hearing some comments about a video i published on youtbe, like : " - This video is too dark," I noticed that a video I posted on youtube is indeed darker when it plays in any other mode rather than HD 1080p high definition . Not sure if this is only happening to me but in fact there is considerable loss of light intensity on the video . I am sending in attachment three print screens from the last video I posted on youtube. Please note that I am using chrome browser. one is with the video playing at the higgest quality 1080p HD Other is a print screen of the same video but I selected lower quality to play the video 720p or 480p.

Here is the result :

You can easily do the test with other videos . Just use the following url :
https://www.youtube.com/v/lg9eTSEAbNA?version=3&vq=hd1080

and replace the following parameters: "vq=HD1080" replace by vq=hd720p , vq=hd480p, vq=medium or vq=small

replace "lg9eTSEAbNA" by the ID of the video you want to see/play .

I would appreciate if you tell me it 's the same with you . Thank you !

3 Comments

actually this is happening when exporting from Premiere in h264 PAL and of course, the original footage is in PAL as well.

November 21, 2014 at 5:54AM

Diogo Pessoa Andrade
Filmmaker. Cinematographer. Editor. Digital Colourist.

There is no logic in this anwser, because then all sizes would be equally darker.
25fps doesn't make an export darker, nor does matching the output fps to the input fps.

It cold be that you are referring to the gammashift that can occur whe exporting to h.264, but that is not a PremierePro issue alone.

And if you are right: please elaborate on it so we can all learn from it :-)

March 18, 2015 at 9:23AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Thanks for the headsup - curious matter. Hadn't heard of this being an issue!

November 23, 2014 at 8:21PM, Edited November 23, 8:21PM

Have you gotten any wiser on the subject? Bump

April 26, 2016 at 11:01AM

Rutger Hesseling
Director, Editor

Your Comment