May 18, 2015 at 2:13PM

From 1 to 10, what do you think of GH4's photography (stills)?

The GH4 has became a popular camera in the last months, mostly for it's capabilities for video/cinematography. But what about stills? Let's not forget this is a DSRL which should be used for photography aswell. GH4's users, do you shoot stills with the GH4? What do you think of it? Do you have some examples? Would you recommend it?

*Main reason I create this post is because I own a GH4 and I've been shooting stills for a couple months now and I don't think it's that bad, I'd rate it 8/10. I would recommend it with a good lens and good light. I do believe the 5D MIII (Canon) tops this camera on stills.

Here's some examples of my GH4 stills: http://pho.to/9NtId

7 Comments

To give you some idea where I'm coming from, I started out in commercial studio photography way back in the 80's, shooting with Nikon F3s, Mamiya RZ67, Sinar 4x5 and 8x10 cameras.

I would rate the GH4 as 6/10 against a Nikon D750 or D810 camera, which is pretty good given the small sensor size. I've used my GH4 for photo shoots, but these are more one off little jobs where I'm doing it as a favor for my client. If I shot still photos on a more regular basis I would probably buy a Nikon D750, which has pretty good low light performance, the full frame shallow DOF ( great for still photos, but not so much when shooting video ), and the great Nikon still-photo dynamic range. ( almost 2 f-stops better than a Canon 5D Mk3 )

You can definitely shoot professional photo work with a Panasonic GH3 or GH4 camera, but a full frame Canon or Nikon camera is going to have a few advantages that make life easier when shooting stills.

May 18, 2015 at 3:14PM, Edited May 18, 3:18PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thank you man!

Tommy Plesky

May 18, 2015 at 6:13PM

Great pics! Don't know why you worry about the camera ;)

May 18, 2015 at 9:22PM

You voted '-1'.
Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

Alex, not that I worry, I just want to see what people thinks of this camera. I love shooting and editing videos, but I can't hide my love for photography aswell. I want to find the best tools available for each path.

Tommy Plesky

May 19, 2015 at 6:56AM

Nice photos. Honestly, I would not be able to tell if these pics come from a M4/3 or FF camera. Your skills overcome the tech limits. You shouldn't care about what random people think about the camera. If I were you, I would care about unleveled horizon on the first photo, magenta eyes on the third photo, and unbalanced composition on the photo with the candle. But again, I'm just a random person :)

May 20, 2015 at 1:11PM, Edited May 20, 1:49PM

Einar Gabbassoff
D&CD at Frame One Studio

You got a great eye! thanks!

Tommy Plesky

December 9, 2015 at 5:26PM, Edited December 9, 5:26PM

It all depends on what you are going to do with the images and how big you're going to blow them up.

May 22, 2015 at 4:38PM

William Scherer
Writer/Director/Producer/Fine Art Aerial Photography

Your Comment